finishing a mahogany neck?

What's Hot
What are the options? Can mahogany be left bare or does it need a finish? I don't like glossy neck finishes.

Can it be stained a bit darker?

Probably obvious, but I'm attempting to build my first neck right now and it's mahogany.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    edited November 2013

Needs a finish really.   I go with wet sanded tru-oil as a minimum.  I have done the same with danish oil and its not sturdy enough - needs regualr maintenance to stay feeling nice

this is the tru-oil

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/complete%20guitars/fb13.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:

Needs a finish really.   I go with wet sanded tru-oil as a minimum.  I have done the same with danish oil and its not sturdy enough - needs regualr maintenance to stay feeling nice

this is the tru-oil

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/complete%20guitars/fb13.jpg

Yes please.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    OK. I have true-oil so I'll give it a go.

looooooong way from that stage mind you!
  • I did the acoustic and the SG with Ronseal Matt Hardglaze. Playable in 24 hours but left a week and sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper they feel completely unfinished but are dirt proof and richly coloured. Best necks I've ever played.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Andy - Could the Ronseal be used ok over a dyed top and binding? I have an LP body I'd like to do as a blacktop, and I'd like to be able to put a glossy finish over the whole thing.
    @Andyjr1515 - Got any pictures of that neck? Sounds interesting.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    edited November 2013
    DeeTee said:
    Andy - Could the Ronseal be used ok over a dyed top and binding? I have an LP body I'd like to do as a blacktop, and I'd like to be able to put a glossy finish over the whole thing.

Hi @DeeTee If you look on page 2 of the 'making and modding' section, you'll see the SG under the title of 'Pete's Burl Maple SG - pretty much finished'. It has a few shots of the SG which was stained with Red pen ink, with faux binding, and body coated with Gloss Ronseal Hardglaze. It seems to be completely unreactive - no leach or crazing. I have even coated it over tru oil in the past with no problems whatsoever. I apply it thinned with 30% or more white spirit thinners and I wipe it on with a microfiber cloth (3 for two quid in home base). Takes a few coats but quick to dry for re-coats. Leave about a week to completely harden before final buff.
  • axisus said:
    @Andyjr1515 - Got any pictures of that neck? Sounds interesting.

Hi @Axisus I think there's a shot on the same post of the SG (body gloss, neck Matt). Failing that, have a look at the gallery links on my website (ajrguitarmods.co.uk) and have a peep at the SG and the acoustic. The latter is just as I describe- it feels like a naturally worn unfinished neck but is,in fact, fully protected. I'm in Vietnam at the moment but will post some close ups later in the week when I get back.
    Hey @Andyjr1515 - your website is great! Some lovely stuff there. I really enjoyed having a nose around. Will be returning for future inspiration!
  • axisus said:
    Hey @Andyjr1515 - your website is great! Some lovely stuff there. I really enjoyed having a nose around. Will be returning for future inspiration!
    Flattery will get you absolutely everywhere  ;)

Thanks
    Andy
  • Hi
    Here's the close-up of the acoustic neck.  Looks unfinished but is as smooth as silk and cleans with a simple wipe.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That neck looks awesome! I'm definitely going for that finish.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Did you go straight to the 2000 grit or work up from something like 400?
  • DeeTee said:
    Did you go straight to the 2000 grit or work up from something like 400?
    The neck itself was obviously sanded progressively.  In terms of the varnishing, I think I did a thin coat to raise the grain, then a sand with 600, then a couple of very thin coats sanded with the 2000 just to take any surface roughness off (0000 wire wool would do just as well as long as you cover up the pickups)

Andy