Oops ! Tales of guitar repairing

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• My friend's second hand P bass that when we opened it up to see why it was buzzing found the wiring had just been tied together/to various components rather than soldered
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    A friend had a Yamaha bass with retro-fitted EMGs.

He'd owned it for 17 years and even gigged it quite a few times. He wouldn't have it that the EMGs were active because in all that time he'd never changed a battery... imagine his surprise when I pulled an ancient Varta PP3 out that looked like it had been at the bottom of the ocean. Amazingly, it was still working!! Although, it must be said - it did sound much better for a new battery...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Slightly OT but picking up the packaging points made earlier. I've been sent many a guitar over the years and usually without a problem.

Bought two SGs in separate deals not far off each other in time frame. Both arrived in their respective cases only....I.e courier label stuck to the case! Miracle being both survived and were still give or take tuned to concert pitch. 

To think I've sent amps all over the world in virtually bullet proof packing only for them to get damaged does me in :)

As you were.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Although funny, it must be a tech's dream when someone comes along and pays you £50 for a fix and all you have to do is fit a new battery?

Or in these situations is it considered etiquette to inform the customer and price accordingly, if at all?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    edited January 2017

I would only charge for the battery if that was all it needed. The very first one mentioned (active bass with no battery in the battery box) was for the son of a man who was once a teacher of mine - I told him there was no charge but he insisted on paying me a tenner regardless.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Same here - if all it needs is a battery, that's all I charge for. I do admit to charging full RRP for it even though I buy them at Costco for a bit less, but I don't think that's too sneaky!

Often they will offer a little extra too, which is nice. If something really is that little effort I always think it's better to make a happy customer than a big profit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Paul_C said:

I would only charge for the battery if that was all it needed. The very first one mentioned (active bass with no battery in the battery box) was for the son of a man who was once a teacher of mine - I told him there was no charge but he insisted on paying me a tenner regardless.

ICBM said:
    Same here - if all it needs is a battery, that's all I charge for. I do admit to charging full RRP for it even though I buy them at Costco for a bit less, but I don't think that's too sneaky!

Often they will offer a little extra too, which is nice. If something really is that little effort I always think it's better to make a happy customer than a big profit.
    Same here - wouldn't charge more than is right for the work involved.
    You are trying to foster good working relations with all your customers and make new friends with people who are using you for the first time, and in all likelihood will get to look after many of them time after time as a result.
    Also customers know when they are being treated well or fairly - even if it's just a "gut feeling" about the transaction.
    They see it and thats why they may actually offer a few quid more than you actually asked for or say "have a pint on me"

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    I've got some stories that would make your eyes water from when I was in the service department. Some I can't repeat but the guy that returned a guitar via UPS wrapped in a pair if curtains was a particular highlight. 

I do get concerted by what we got back from dealers. Apparent experts that couldn't change batteries, or stretch in a set of strings. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gibbygibby Frets: 50
    I used to do sets ups a lot, but now I basically give guitar lessons as I tended to be a bit blatantly honest with my customers....Had a few stories over the years but two come to mind:-

1. Electric guitar in for repair, apparently untouched from new and had stopped working. Opened up backplate to find that the wires were held onto the pots with blue-tac.When I questioned the owner he seemed to "remember" that his "friend" had looked it :)..

2. Had a new pupil for guitar lessons, a retired gentleman. Got his guitar out of the case and the strings were BLACK with corrosion. Asked him how long they'd been on there? He said about 30yrs :o When I told him he needed a new set he said "are you sure, I've hardly played it"..and he WAS being serious!

Ah, the joys of ...... :)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    MattFGBI said:
    I've got some stories that would make your eyes water from when I was in the service department. Some I can't repeat but the guy that returned a guitar via UPS wrapped in a pair if curtains was a particular highlight. 

I do get concerted by what we got back from dealers. Apparent experts that couldn't change batteries, or stretch in a set of strings. 
    This!

I had a prat from one well known store shouting the odds about a JTV69 that wouldn't stay in tune.

When it arrived, it had a super light set of strings on it (no trem adjustment to suit so it was all at the wrong angle), plus there was at least 7 wraps of string around each tuning peg post... and the locking screws were loose.

When I pointed these things out and said this was a poor set up issue and nothing to do with a manufacturing defect, therefore user error he told me their "in house luthier" had 20years of experience and it had already been through him. How many years experience did I have?

I told him "27... and those extra seven years tell me you should fire your 'luthier' ".

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    "in house Luthier", "store technician" & "pro player" are all phrases that fill me with dread when speaking to someone about a potential "fault". 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    MattFGBI said:
    "in house Luthier", "store technician" & "pro player" are all phrases that fill me with dread when speaking to someone about a potential "fault". 
    Amen, brother.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    MattFGBI said:
    Just had a bad case - amp not guitar - in the shop today. This amp had supposedly been 'repaired' by another shop three weeks ago, but the same hum had come back. The first warning sign was that the coloured cores of the mains cable were visible outside the plug… on checking continuity, there was no earth. The earth wire - although it appeared to be connected - was in fact broken inside its plastic covering where it had been tugged against the cord grip. Presumably it had been making a sort-of contact when the other "repairer" had worked on it.

Totally unacceptable for anyone calling themselves a professional.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom