Fender Excelsior Valve Rattle

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
A noise has been bugging me for the last few weeks, distortion on certain notes when playing. Ive traced it to the power valves (6v6GTs)

They are vibrating on certain notes, What I have done is roll up a leather guitar stap and have wedged it between them, this stops the vibration completely but could be dangerous as the get damn hot! It smells of hot leather:)

Thinking of making a rubber wedge out of heat resistent silicon.

OR I could just get my hand in my pocket and buy a pair of valves:) Anybody got any 6v6Gts????

I love the excelsior, a few amps have come and gone (Tiny Terror, HT5, Hot Rod Deluxe) but this has remained throughout. not like me at all.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    edited November 2013

lots of amps do this, especially smaller lighter ones

Buy some silicone or Viton O rings, measure the valves and put them round the valves, 3 is best, one at each mounting point and one in the middle

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/141111118964?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    that's the company I bought loads of Viton ones from. Get the thickest cross-section ones, 1 or 2mm less than the diameter of the valve, you want it to stay in place. Usually little thin ones for preamp tubes, especially EF86 ones, and great big thick ones for output valves and rectifiers
    Cheers!

"OUR TOSSPOT"

one of mine still vibrated a bit, and needed the extra rubber thing you can see in this photo

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz15/toneuk/RAT%20BH5/RATBH507.jpg

I wonder if putting a fat bead of silicon round would work or is it the tightness that damps the sound?

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    it's the weight and tension I think, but bear in mind these rings are made as high-temperature O-rings for engines, I am not sure if bathroom sealant is OK past 250 centigrade
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    What they're doing is adding mass and hopefully changing the resonant frequency of the valve so it doesn't vibrate at music frequencies. It's not the tension - the glass is almost incompressible, and if you did find something that would put enough tension on to compress it you'd probably crack it. You want them to be a snug enough fit so they don't slide or vibrate off, and not so tight you do think there's a risk of breaking the glass, but anything in between will work the same. 1-2mm less than the diameter of the valve sounds about right.

Jamming a wedge of something between them should be even more effective since it will stop the valves vibrating at all. I must get around to doing something like this… I have a set of four expensive vintage Mullard EL34s in my Mesa amp which *all* rattle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Must be honest, never seen this done ? Is there any danger issues ICBM ?
    Must be honest, never seen this done ? Is there any danger issues ICBM ?
    Only cracking the glass. That is, assuming the rings/padding won't melt or burn.

I suppose that if you really overdo it and don't allow enough cooling space, you could overheat the valves and shorten their life expectancy. I wouldn't have thought two or three thin rings would do that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    edited November 2013
    Don't have the issue with my Excelsior, but often did with my old Peaveys. Come to think of it, my old Peavey Bravo used EL84's on their side but were held in place with heavy rubber sponge on the access plate.
    C30s? They're notorious for it due to the chassis being flimsy and vibrating, which then shakes the valves.

Some Excelsiors seem to do it and some don't - I think it's also to do with the fit of the chassis as much as the valves themselves, as you know they're quite crudely made, some fit better than others! If you get a non-rattler it's fine. If you get a bad one you might have to take extreme measures…

The Mesa is definitely just the valves. Slightly annoying considering how much they're worth and how good they sound!

• Thanks for solving this problem, it is a minor annoyance of my Excelsior, and now I know how to fix it!

Wisdoms all round.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Great post......... I'm learning so much on here

Cheers
    Baz
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    ICBM said:
    Some Excelsiors seem to do it and some don't - I think it's also to do with the fit of the chassis as much as the valves themselves, as you know they're quite crudely made, some fit better than others! If you get a non-rattler it's fine. If you get a bad one you might have to take extreme measures…
    Yeah that seems to be it- I did a fair bit of research into these back when I had mine, and some people seemed to get lucky out of the box, some people managed to fix the rattle with minor fixes (swapping valves) but some people were unlucky and had to resort to major surgery (which seemed to work in some cases) or else just got sick of it and sent the thing back (ok that last one might just be me :)) ).
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited November 2013
    The same thing is happening to my Selmer T'n'B 50, which ATM I'm using for bass. I guess I could just put it on the floor next to the bass bin ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    the first -issue Marshall 5w ones were a nightmare for rattling, and even these fixes did not work, the chassis rattled too!