Bloody Drummers!!

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
edited November 2013 in Live
3rd drummer this year just quit on us.. that's at least one gig cancelled (next weekends) and probably the one after, more auditions, more spending time to learn the same songs over and over again so another drummer can get to grips with them.. This always seems to happen just after I spent a shit-load of cash on gear.

Seriously thinking of packing it all in...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Nah don't do that. You'll just have to find a new equally as satisfying/frustrating hobby.

We're dead lucky, our stick man is mint.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    When he's not dropping or firing off his sticks that is. I caught one in the back last night.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Had the same thing this time last year. After the 4th drummer went we called it a day.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Head to the local uni music school and post ads. There should be some great drummers who will be interested.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    edited November 2013
    Bummer, it's really hard to find decent drummers, surprised you could actually locate 3 worth auditioning in a year tbh.

On the plus side, I've found january to be quite good for finding band members as people seem to have more of a drive to start new projects..possiblky due to xmas GASing etc.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Is there a theme for why they're quitting?  Is it just drummers?

Too many gigs / not enough paying gigs or pay per gig / other commitments & no time / not into set list / just lazy people in general / didn't fit in with other members (if the rest of you are stable) etc ?

There might be something you could change for next time, but if not maybe it is just a run of bad luck.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    edited November 2013
    First quy left as he found a band playing harder stuff, that was fine, he told us in plenty of time so we knew it was coming, he still covered a few gigs while we found a replacement (it was actually me that brought him into the other band so I can't complain about that one).

2nd guy left after I accused him of being a tosser :) working relationships broke down and he left. It was a case of he was in 2 bands (which was Ok with us) but he dropped us in the shit days before a gig (a gig we had booked 3 months prior) because his other band were offered a late gig somewhere larger. The pub we were playing found out the reason we cancelled and they wern't  happy rightfully so, so we spent time firefighting, and eventually, about a week later, he left with some verbal assistance.

3rd guy left out of the blue saying he wasn't getting enthusiastic about things and hadn't bothered learning the songs properly (I think his mistakes at a few gigs lost us a re-booking at those venues). He was fine when he first joined us but seemed to loose interest after a few weeks, and really was not learning the songs well and making mistakes live.

On a better note, we're meeting a guy tonight. We've spoken to him in the past and auditioned him before but didn't give him the job, but we've re-thought our priorities and now think he's the perfect fit. 

• Si_ said:
     (I think his mistakes at a few gigs lost us a re-booking at those venues). 

FWIW it's rare that a venue gives a flying fuck how well you play. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_ said:
     (I think his mistakes at a few gigs lost us a re-booking at those venues). 

FWIW it's rare that a venue gives a flying fuck how well you play. 
    That's so true. As long as the beer sells they don't care
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited November 2013
    For us its bass players. Our first bass player assured us it wouldn't be a problem when he got into another band as a keys player (thats two in total as keys, bass with us) only when push comes to shove he finds he can't be arsed to play bass as he's too busy.

Well I knew a guy who played bass in a serious Leicester outfit who had opened for Bon Jovi once so I cheekily asked if he'd be interested. He came down, played so bloody well it lifted all of us, but a few days later he got back to us and the reason he'd packed up before became clear, his tinnitus was back. Felt really guilty...

Anyway we got another guy in, decent player, but he became a bit hit and miss at rehearsals and then a month ago he quite
     as well, just as we were about up to speed with the necessary quantity of material to go and get some gigs.

Auditioned a few since but nobody of any great shakes, the only one who was decent plays upright bass in a weddings band 40 odd functions a year and a new baby, the first, due in the new year. So thats not going to work is it. He thinks he's still going to be able to do the weddings! Ha.....

Very very frustrating finding keen people. Thankfully the rest of the band are still up for it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33817
    ... Should seek medical attention.