'Dirty Loops' Holy shit they're good!

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6110

Just found these guys on youtube. Thought it was just some drum loops for using with recording.. but no it's a band and feck are they good. I'm still lifting my jaw off the floor..

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsql said:

Just found these guys on youtube. Thought it was just some drum loops for using with recording.. but no it's a band and feck are they good. I'm still lifting my jaw off the floor..

Regardless of how good you found it your jaw should not be descending that far - I would get it checked out.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670

A friend pointed out these guys to me about a year ago - I agree it's awesome stuff! They seem to specialize in taking unlikely starting material, and "fusionizing" it. I love their version of Justin Bieber's "Baby"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKb8TOWbFFI

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6110
    Megii said:

A friend pointed out these guys to me about a year ago - I agree it's awesome stuff! They seem to specialize in taking unlikely starting material, and "fusionizing" it. I love their version of Justin Bieber's "Baby"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKb8TOWbFFI

I can't get over how these guys can take such a crap song and turn it into  a fusion monster.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

:-j
  • So their premise is covering things in the style of jamiroqai?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So their premise is covering things in the style of jamiroqai?

More like Steps Ahead/Dave Weckl.

And for the guitarists out there  ;)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    From the name I thought they were going to be some sort of cool loop/sample/scratch type outfit.

Sadly I was wrong. Now I come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I made the same mistake a year or so ago too.

Yes, they're good. And my god, don't they just know it…

It's sad when players with such obvious immense technical skill choose to waste it playing such smug pretentious muso wankery. But it seems to be all too common.

Frankly I would rather listen to a drum loop.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited November 2013

Have to disagree, I love this sort of stuff ..but then I was brought up listening to Bruford, Brand X, The Brecker Brothers and David Sancious  :D

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I posted this ages ago and got bugger all interest including Jack Gardiner ... you're all a funny lot .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    edited November 2013
    Fretwired;85030" said:
    I posted this ages ago and got bugger all interest including Jack Gardiner ... you're all a funny lot .. :-)
      I definitely missed it that time, was it back on the old MR forum? 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I think it's pretty crap to be honest. Really smug and cheesy. Takes all sorts I suppose.
    I'm amazed by the negative opinions on here! Don't get the smug thing at all. Ah well, I likes it anyhow. :)
    edited November 2013

Megii said:
    I'm amazed by the negative opinions on here! Don't get the smug thing at all. Ah well, I likes it anyhow. :)
    Same here. I get the impression that people think that if you smile when you're playing you must be smug(?)
    If I could play bass like Henrick Linder I'd have a smile like a Cheshire cat.. and let's face it to play at that level takes an extraordinary level of  commitment to your instrument. And hell...  I just love those big fat extended jazz chords.
    I love hearing those fat chords put together like that also. Henrick is just something else! Their music puts a smile on my face too.
  • Interesting...for the first 20 seconds I was like, 'OH YEAH', then I was like 'HMMM' and then I was all 'OMG NO'.

Now, I'm just meh.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited November 2013
    Great musicians and interesting arrangements. I've been aware of them for the the last year or so and I'd rather see someone smiling and enjoying themselves than some miserable sod!

I like them and I think some of them may have played on the the State Cows albums (Swedish band inspired by Steely Dan, Toto, Chicago etc..)
  • They're fantastic, but every single one of their songs sounds exactly the same. The novelty wears off very quickly for me. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    They're fantastic, but every single one of their songs sounds exactly the same. The novelty wears off very quickly for me. 
    Get what you mean UP :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    equalsql said:
    Fretwired;85030" said:
      I definitely missed it that time, was it back on the old MR forum? 
    No it was here ... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/4479/new-pop-music#latest

I guess a title with 'Dirty loops' is better than one with 'Pop music' .... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!