Elf n' Safe Tea

What's Hot
ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
I was in Aldi at lunchtime buying biscuits and stuff when I noticed their offers this week include a mains socket tester for £2.99

Now I already have two classy socket testers, but if any of you muppets don't own one yet, get your bottom down to Aldi (or indeed and retailer like B&Q) and buy one. You really have no excuse!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• £2.99?! How do you test a mains tester?

Seriously, are these made to any British Standard? Or am I being unduly critical?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28431
    If they go BANG then there's mains there.

If they don't then there probably isn't.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    I would definitely want to see BS approval for them before trusting them to show up a potentially life-threatening fault.

One thing that puzzles me - usually they have three neons which are wired Live-Neutral, Neutral-Earth and Live-Earth, so a correct supply is indicated by on-off-on. This one has all three on for correct. Looking at the chart it's obvious that the outer two do what I would expect, but how does the middle one show on for safe?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Ive never bought anything (non food) from Lidl/Aldi or any other combination of those letters,   that lasts more than about 20 minutes.

In fact the food is pretty shite as well,  I assume it got 'supermarket of the year with votes from people with no taste buds
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    As I said I have a couple of classy testers, but I can't imagine Aldi would risk selling something clearly made for our mains sockets which is inherently dangerous. I did suggest other retailers like B&Q too btw. It's your money and your life, I have my arse covered in this respect and anyone that doesn't can't say they cant afford one at the price of a pint or two. Anyone trying to dissuade people from being responsible for thier own safety might want to have a rethink!
  • The German foodstuffs for sale in Lidl/Aldi is pretty good
    Old Is Gold
    The German foodstuffs for sale in Lidl/Aldi is pretty good
    however german food, is by and large.  Fucking awful
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not really its just not particularly exiciting thats all, although I'm not really a fan of that schnitzel stuff.

Otherwise you know I like a good sausage bertie ;-)
    Old Is Gold
    I guess it could have been wurst
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oh dear god!
    Old Is Gold
  • bertie said:
    Ive never bought anything (non food) from Lidl/Aldi or any other combination of those letters, that lasts more than about 20 minutes.

In fact the food is pretty shite as well,  I assume it got 'supermarket of the year with votes from people with no taste buds
    The drill I bought from Dali last year is still going strong, seems to drill outwards though!
    ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    good man that work
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    German food? What's that like? Is it all cabbage and sausages?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    ESBlonde said:
    As I said I have a couple of classy testers, but I can't imagine Aldi would risk selling something clearly made for our mains sockets which is inherently dangerous. I did suggest other retailers like B&Q too btw. It's your money and your life, I have my arse covered in this respect and anyone that doesn't can't say they cant afford one at the price of a pint or two. Anyone trying to dissuade people from being responsible for thier own safety might want to have a rethink!
    There's a difference between inherently dangerous and not reliable enough to be safe - when it's indicating the presence or otherwise of a risk. Something that doesn't work correctly might well not be dangerous itself, but could give a false sense of security.

I'm not saying this is definitely the case - it may well be fully certified and say so on the back, which you can't see in the pic - but I would want to check that before buying one. Unfortunately even if it appears to have a BS sticker it could be bogus, this is a known problem with a lot of cheap Chinese-made electrical products.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from being responsible for their own safety - quite the opposite, but trying to do it on the cheap could be worse than useless.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11314
    German food? What's that like? Is it all cabbage and sausages?
    A not wholly inaccurate description of the residents of the country, too.
  • ICBM said:

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from being responsible for their own safety - quite the opposite, but trying to do it on the cheap could be worse than useless.
    Yes, this. I think safety is very important and I'd want to know that my test equipment is going to give the correct results. 

It seems that BS EN 61010-1:2010 is the one it needs to meet.

PS I never skimp on tools, tyres or brakes.