Volume Pedal Users Help

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
in FX tFB Trader
I've always been a great admirer of those that do a lot of volume knob, or volume pedal tweaking rather than just having 5 different OD pedals. 

Having spent a bit of time trying, riding the volume knob always seems to make me balls up and miss notes so I've given up on that.

I do seem to be able to work a volume pedal without going wrong so I've now got one on my board and would like to try doing something along the lines of using the volume to go between rhythm and lead sounds however the challenge this presents is being able to go back to your "middle" sound accurately when you are done soloing. 

How do you regular volume pedal users cope with this?

I know you can get some with a preset minimum, but I suppose this prevents swells and muting. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The Morley Pro Volume Plus is great for that. Min volume setting, but also a footswitch on the side that turns it back to a straight volume pedal for swells.

There's also the visual volume pedal (visual sounds I think) that has a row of LEDs on the side.

Or strap a laser pointer to it and watch where it shines on the back wall.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Ooo that Morley sounds very useful.
    Will have to look into that.
    tFB Trader
    Are they super massive?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Well, err, yes. Check out my board photo, first one on the 'show us your boards' thread. You'll see it there. The jacks are on the sides as well so that doesn't help the footprint. Works great though.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    My volume pedal (the huge boss one) has come off my board for the moment. TBH I don't find it that useful and as a strat player predominantly I can use the pot on the guitar. I do love swells into a delay pedal a la Steve Hillage though.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Would you not be better with a pad type box (a volume knob in an enclosure) with an on/off footswitch to accurately and easily go back and forth for this function?

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixote;586" said:

Having spent a bit of time trying, riding the volume knob always seems to make me balls up and miss notes so I've given up on that.
    How do you get along with the walking/chewing gum thing?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    How do you get along with the walking/chewing gum thing?
    Thanks for your constructive comment. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

Would you not be better with a pad type box (a volume knob in an enclosure) with an on/off footswitch to accurately and easily go back and forth for this function?

I want more control that that. 
    The band I play with are pretty dynamic so what is an acceptable volume boost when we are going for it is completely over the top for a solo during a quieter moment so I'd rather have a continuously variable control rather than a series of set boosts. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited August 2013
    monquixote;14088" said:

Thanks for your constructive comment. 
    Only meant to raise a smile. Sorry I offended you-it was not my intention.

I used to own a Morley volume pedal with the minimum volume feature. The sweep was a bit sudden at the top end of its travel (in other words it got much louder, very quickly). This was why I got rid of mine. In fairness this was quite a while ago; newer models may be better in this respect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I used to tape a 9v battery under the heel section of a volume pedal for a minimum setting.

Now I use a 3 channel amp with a different channel for solo's.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I do swells a fair amount with my volume pedal, and at the end of songs post-crescendo, I bring it down a bit to allow me to keep playing and clean up the guitar a bit at the same time, with my delays and reverb still active, so that I don't end up with a really amateur sounding abrupt finish; checkout the end of our track 'Valis' for an example, where I go from big strummed chords to tremolo picking cleanly.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Drew_fx said:
    checkout the end of our track 'Valis' for an example, where I go from big strummed chords to tremolo picking cleanly.
    You been reading PKD?

I coulda said "you been reading Dick?" but I decided not to. ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?