Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

£69 valve head...

What's Hot
usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
Anyone seen/tried these? Redwood (?) Dawsons do them, I believe.. There's a vid, somewhere.. Sorry, if I'm duplicating, but the search thingy seems a bit off..

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Pretty awesome for £69  

Thks for posting.... 
    Cheers
    Baz
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    It sounds truly awful in that video…

But at least they did a good comparison and if they can make a JCM900 sound that bad as well, there is hope that the little amp doesn't sound any worse :D.

For £69 it's probably cheaper than buying the components to build one - although at that price, don't expect decent components. The cynic in me would also want to know whether at that price it can be properly certified and safe too, but perhaps I'm just being overly suspicious.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

That's the kind of valve amp that gets valve amps a bad name. You could get a good used Peavey Bandit for the same money. ;)

I can't understand why someone would want something that would ultimately be so unsatisfying. To me it's just a waste of £69.

ICBM said:
    It sounds truly awful in that video…

But at least they did a good comparison and if they can make a JCM900 sound that bad as well, there is hope that the little amp doesn't sound any worse :D.

Yes, clearly they've set the JCM up to sound like the Redwood! Talk about fallacious logic! :D
  • That sounds like total arse.   £69 worth of arse.
  • To be fair he even makes his JCM900 sound crap. He'd get a better sound plugging in to the washing machine.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

I expect you could get a good sound out of it, prob basically a Marshall clone with cheap transformers, cheap pots and switchs  and caps swiped from broken switch mode power supplies :) Chinese manufacturing is  amazing. I did some design work for Goodmans industries once and changing a whole bunch of stuff changed the Chinese OEM price to Goodmans  by 14p

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    edited November 2013
    Are these the same/similar things that are sold by Gear4Music?

Some tube amp/heads on their site for hardly any money.

I've never dared order one though.  

Anyone ever bought one?
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    I can recommend the Tube 20R.  Used to be called a Belcat now it's a Subzero.  Like a blues junior but better - believe it or not.....
  • I actually liked the sound of that. :)

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yup. They're gonna be ethically built.
  • Sounds weird, but since getting my mooer, all other 5w heads look absolutely massive...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited November 2013
    I remember the Epiphone Valve Jr obsession. I bought a Harley Benton equivalent for £58 from Thomann (was half the price of the Epi but identical) and sold it for £85 a bit later after I decided my Pignose G40V made it totally redundant.

I love my Pignose - I in turn sold my 59 Bassman LTD cos the Pignose does tweed Bassman better! (same circuit and valves) Pig new (old stock)  was only £180 and is 40watts of totally portable sonic mayhem through a 1x10"!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I think the sub zero is the same as the redwood, just different name. The controls are in the same place an' all. Basic OEM shit, but for £69, still not sure how they do it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    dindude said:
    Basic OEM shit, but for £69, still not sure how they do it.
    That's the thing that bothers me. The Epiphone Valve Junior isn't very well-made and is a much simpler amp, that sells for 50% more money - so how can the Redwood be built to any proper standard...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;90570" said:
    dindude said:

Basic OEM shit, but for £69, still not sure how they do it.

That's the thing that bothers me. The Epiphone Valve Junior isn't very well-made and is a much simpler amp, that sells for 50% more money - so how can the Redwood be built to any proper standard...
    I assumed it would be a tweed champ, which surely has one of the lowest parts count possible, but it obviously isn't. I doubt I could source components and chassis for a tweed champ for that money, let alone the rest!

Chinese labour rates, I'm afraid.

I would like to know what working conditions in the mooer factory is like. I know the pedals have a few shortcomings, but then again, so do fulltone... But the amp I have is pretty solid, but for the mini switches being a bit flimsy feeling.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

You gotta buy direct from China to believe the prices. The dearest components in the whole amp would be the transformers but even those would only cost a few quid each. I expect the build cost is around £25 for the whole thing. Getting them over is expensive, shipping cost is prob around £5 per unit. 

When I was buying laptop chargers by the thousand I could buy an original HP \ Dell \ Toshiba charger direct from the factory at £5 each when the same item brought bulk in the UK was £17. (real stuff not fakes) 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Yes, dependant on the industry our cost rate excluding profit in the uk is around £40 per hour. In china the same industry inclusive of overheads etc can operate at less than £6/hr.
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    It looks alright Im thinking of getting one ,throwing the guts in the bin and wiring Some behringer inards to the control panel .
    Flown the nest .
  • I want a Pignose!