Badly damaged Gibson Explorer

What's Hot
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    There's a few hundred quid for a refinish right there. Reasonable bargaining point. ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Big lols!!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    What is that, a Chinese fake? I can't see enough detail in the pics to tell.

Gibson never made any Explorers in 1968 - in any colour - so you'd think it couldn't be real... except that they made that Hendrix Strat abortion, so who knows!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Such artless graffiti should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    lol  I clicked on it looking for a bargain to refinish... 

Fully agree - it definitely needs a refinish ;-)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    jd0272 said:
    There's a few hundred quid for a refinish right there. Reasonable bargaining point. ;)
    Somewhere around £1000 to get rid of the stickleback sigs............

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited November 2013
    ICBM said:
    What is that, a Chinese fake? I can't see enough detail in the pics to tell.

Gibson never made any Explorers in 1968 - in any colour - so you'd think it couldn't be real... except that they made that Hendrix Strat abortion, so who knows!

Was it not 1976 they were brought out again? 

However, if you Google "1968 explorer" it does seem to be a genuine, recent Gibson guitar.  Perhaps they thought if they picked a year that the guitar was never produced they could avoid all the "you got it all wrong" comment's about their reissues ... bizarre! 

B-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    ESchap said:

However, if you Google "1968 explorer" it does seem to be a genuine, recent Gibson guitar.  Perhaps they thought if they picked a year that the guitar was never produced they could avoid all the "you got it all wrong" comment's about their reissues ...

lol

Anyway, that black scribble should clean off with a bit of solvent and the rest of the evidence should burn nicely, so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I dunno, even if you get the signature off, someone could still find out.

Needs a whole new body.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2013
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Looks a lot like my #1 axe, but a bit brighter red and obviously mine doesn't have that shit scrawled on it.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    To get rid of permanent marker, all you need is a Whiteboard marker... write over the top of the permanent marker with the whiteboard marker and wipe off immediately.

But, whilst it will get rid of the ink on the defaced areas, it won't do anything about the Nickelback stench.  Perhaps some acid of some sort?  Not sure Febreze can sort that, sadly.
    Rox said:

But, whilst it will get rid of the ink on the defaced areas, it won't do anything about the Nickelback stench.  Perhaps some acid of some sort? 
    Are you suggesting we take acid to listen to stickleback, or pour acid over them?

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Didn't realise there was this much hate for the nicleback..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.