PRS Vintage vibrato installation

So, the day is nearign when I can afford to give the man my money, and I'm brushing up on my plans to get the ball rolling.  

It's using a 6 point Wudtone vibrato with MIM spacing, just like a 'proper' prs.  However, I want it to FEEL like a PRS vibrato - I'm sure someone (@ICBM?) mentioned that PRS guitars come, as standard, with 4 of 5 springs.  I'm planning on having this guitar in...Er... Probably drop C or D standard, so not sure how that'll work out. 

Basically, how does one do this?  I've seen the Fender vid where they install a 2 point and 6 point (both in the same vid) and it looks easy, but I'm wondering how easy or hard it'll be to set up for a nice, 'stiff' tension (which PRS guitars typically have).  I pick hard, so having it not warble too muc is a good thing - I can occasionally hear out of tune warble on a 52 gauge low C on a 25.5" guitar with a locking tailpiece... 

Also, if it's floating (I'd like to do some squealy shit because I'm so cool) would I be able to drop C it without ruining the sound?  Or is it a set and forget, like a floyd?

Cheers for any advice, all.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hi there , I think you may need to suck and see which feel you prefer, given variables/experimentation of less springs with more tension ( ie claw screwed in further ) or more springs with less tension. The bridge itself doesn't mind. If you want up pitch as well as down pitch,  you are going to just need enough spring force required to balance the string tension with enough angle to give you the range of up and down pitch ( the bridge doesn't mind and will keep tune with both on tap) you want . Having it floating a least a little also gives you a lovely chord shimmer to use if you wish. You won't be able to enjoy that if it is decked. Will work better balanced even if it is almost touching the body at the rear edge.
    kind regards
  • Cheers mate, great answer - only just remember I can adjust where the claw sits. Doh...

Must remember to order that at the same time as the guitar!

Yeah, I'll definitely float it, even if only a little - my jazzmaster is down only, and amazing sounding, but I'd like for this to be my go-to, so a little extra would be lovely.

Thanks! Just noticed your kits come with 4 springs too, so that's covered nicely for experimenting.