Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I seem to have slipped and accidently stuck myself into a gigging band playing ...(gulp)..folk music

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24272
    Drew_fx said:
    No.

This.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Bidley said:
    Dearg Doom, great song.
    Threshold, Pagan's Mind and Dearg Doom. We clearly have similar taste Mr Bidley!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited December 2013
    "STREETS OF LONDON!!!"

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997

folk is great

although it can sometimes be a bit twee and earnest

folk bands, done right, can rock

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    drwiddly said:
    Bidley said:
    Dearg Doom, great song.
    Threshold, Pagan's Mind and Dearg Doom. We clearly have similar taste Mr Bidley!

@drwiddly
    If you say you've heard (and love) the Lord Weird Slough Feg version of Dearg Doom, I think we might have to get married.

Funnily enough, if you say our display names one after the other quickly enough, it sounds like a folk song!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    You're dead to me.

F**k music for fuck's sake man...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • lol I'm really starting to dig it man. Though the changes in the songs keep catching me out as the I,IV, and Vs are all in the wrong places and can switch 3 or 4 times on one line of the song. Still its a challange and good for my skillz I thinks, but easy it is not.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• In fact if I had to choose between playing bass in the folkies or guitar in my other band I'd probably choose the folkies. I think its the jumpers.

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Having been to quite a few folk festivals and gigs I generally feel about it the way I feel about jazz - great to be there and exciting in the moment but a bit too much like hard work to listen to at home.

Housewives favorite Seth Lakeman has a real classic rock dynamic going on live and there is a fair bit of love for punk turned folk artist Frank Turner about the forum. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    He used to remind me of Simon Pegg... but these days... I'm not so sure. He's changed and not in "that's a relief you were starting to smell like a vagrant" kinda way.." like in the good old days.

That said I know the guy who played bass guitar on the recording of Day Trip To Bangor ... and my Dad was on TV at Sidmouth Folk Festival one year - on stage not in the audience.. and I know two of the blokes from Mawkin... all good people it's a crying shame they turned to the dark side....

If you buy a tankard on a carabina I will find you and I will kill you.

• frankus said:

If you buy a tankard on a carabina I will find you and I will kill you.

Carabina?.....ha....he needs a proper leather tankard strap
    back in the 80s they kept them on the clips you get on dog-leads... but you're right if he buys a tankard it's enough.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited December 2013
    frankus said:
    He used to remind me of Simon Pegg... but these days... I'm not so sure. He's changed and not in "that's a relief you were starting to smell like a vagrant" kinda way..you.

oh shit its like you atually know me, you're not behind me are you? lol Also I do have a tankard, and there is a carabena on my keyring. Oh noes.

• Tankards are great...I've got two. My beat up "travel tankard" and then my posh one I use at home.

Folk fest beer tents are the place to be!

(it's the new rock'n'roll you know)

oh shit its like you atually know me, you're not behind me are you?
    If I was, this is how I'd serenade you ;) folk-stylee...

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Bidley said:
    drwiddly said:
    Bidley said:
    Dearg Doom, great song.

@drwiddly
    If you say you've heard (and love) the Lord Weird Slough Feg version of Dearg Doom, I think we might have to get married.

Funnily enough, if you say our display names one after the other quickly enough, it sounds like a folk song!

No, I've heard (and liked) a couple of their albums but not the one with Dearg Doom - on the hunt now!

Gave you a lol for that last comment

:)
  •  I recieved a telegram

Folk = archaic music

Telegram = archaic method of communication

:)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    If you want to get a general picture of what is happening in the world of Bluegrass or Americana, get yourself a copy of the four disk Roots Music - An American Journey.

Everything from Cajun to Scottish/Irish to country rock.  A lot of the tracks are 'difficult' listening but if ever there was a Bluffers Guide to Bluegrass, this is it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Holy Thread Revival Batman!

Anyway I'm popping my bass-gig cherry tonight. I will be furished with a nice beard (as per folk gig protocol), and a Ibanez modern styled bass ... they're gonna really hate me aren't they?

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Holy Thread Revival Batman!

Anyway I'm popping my bass-gig cherry tonight. I will be furished with a nice beard (as per folk gig protocol), and a Ibanez modern styled bass ... they're gonna really hate me aren't they?

Told you, wear a Slayer T shirt and scare the shit outta them.

Actually, just talk to them that should be scary enough.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)