Vox HD 77- Any forum Knowledge

rprrpr Frets: 309
edited November 2013 in Guitar
Bit fugly perhaps, but I'm strangely drawn to it-Anybody played or had experience of them? There one heavily discounted  near me and I'm a bit tempted
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    A mate has the Solid Body HD55 and wouldn't play anything else now. For the heavily discounted prices they are asking now, I'd think you are more than safe.
    He said the quality was astounding and the range of sounds are really useable.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10381
    tFB Trader
    I actually like the look of that ... a little Barney Kessle ... er .... well, a lot actually
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    edited November 2013
    Yes, I have a lot of experience with them. These are brilliant guitars but certainly not what you might expect judging by their looks. Definitely recommend that you try it out first to see what you think.

Basically, they have a few things that make them unique. First the aluminium bridge which definitely adds a lot of sparkle to the sound and then the CoAxe pickups which have very much their own sound (both of which may or may not be things you like) . The pickups do not sound like real humbuckers, p90s or single-coils (which are the 3 positions for each pickup) - the differences are a little more subtle than that - but the positions do offer a lot of versatility if you take each voice for what they are, not what they are named like.

I find all modern VOX guitars really comfortable to play and the HDC-77 is very light as well which is a good thing in my book.

For the prices they are selling at right now, it seems like a great deal to me. But, as with any other guitars, make sure you try it out first because you will always be the best judge for yourself.

Hope that helps.
  • Oddly enough I've been eyeing up the sdc-33/55's this week, they do seem rather neat on paper.
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Tried the 55 in a shop and thought it was great. Quite a versatile thing and very comfortable to play.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Some of the early ones had issues with the top of the pickup coming loose/falling off, but I haven't heard of that for a couple of years.
    Might be worth googling though, it was a bit of a pig to repair IIRC.
  • I had a bit of a strum on the range when they first came out. I remember them being very nicely put together and quite playable.
  • I don't think the HD77 is at all "fugly", its a nice looking instrument, and from the reviews I'd certainly like to try one, thus running the risk of extending my GAS wish list ...

@guitargeek62 the reviews I read said the 55 was way better options-wise than the 33 - only get the 33 if you can't afford the 55, better still if you can't afford the 55, save & wait.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself