Enjoying a heaping plate full of crow.

So, what is the proper wine to serve with it?  Side dishes?

Anyhow, it seems you lot were right after all.

I went to the House of Guitars today to test drive a Cabronita.  Tried the blonde one thru an ID60 amp (just because they had one!), and it sounded pretty darn nice.  I'm really likin' those fidelitrons!  Basically, it's a Tele for Dummies- just a volume and a selector toggle, and no matter where you have the controls, it sounds great.

I quickly switched to a Super Sonic 60, because I wanted to demo the guitar, not the amp.  Very nice combo, that!

I had mentioned to the salesguy my lust for a Gibson Firebird earlier, and after a bit he appeared with two for me to try.  Whoa- hold the phone here...  The Cabronita was instantly forgotten.  As were any doubts about Gibson guitars, their quality, and whether they're worth the price.  Played through the vibrolux channel of the SS, it was perfect.  That guitar felt, sounded and played like no other I've ever held before.  We eventually switched to the Tweed Blues Deluxe next to it to give the other customers a break.  ( those Super Sonics are NOT subtle, are they?)  Fuck me- that's the sound!  A Gibson Guitar into a cooking Tweed Fender.  It just doesn't get much better than that.

Now come the tough decisions.  Saving my pennies and deciding what gear I can live without to trade for this beautiful guitar.  It ain't cheap- $1400+, but worth every cent.  Now I know what REAL GAS feels like...

Incidentally, the guy also brought me a nice SG with P90's to play.  That was awesome, too.  It doesn't have the sustain that the neck through Firebird does, but it makes up for it with that sweet P90 sound.

I'm now a convert!  I still love my Fender amps, but it's Gibbo guitars I'm lusting after now.   Let me tell ya: it was the hardest thing to leave that store without that Firebird...

Thanks, guys!  I'll never doubt your collective wisdom again.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Welcome to the Gibson fold....leave your Stratocaster at the door please.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •   Oh, no- my Strats and tele are going nowhere.  I'm just adding Gibbo to my guitar harem.  I have enough bright spanky, glassy single coil guitars.  Now it's time for the low, growly stuff!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I have only ever played one Gibson (and I'm 50 now!). Demo'd an LP next to an expensive Fender tele and a PRS over at Coda Stevenage about 5 years ago. The LP came 3rd.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Not all Gibsons are equal.  They can vary quite a lot.  I wouldn't judge the whole lot on one guitar.

I wouldn't judge all Fenders on one guitar either.  I love my Strat but I've played some others that were seriously uninspiring.
  • crunchman said:
    Not all Gibsons are equal.  They can vary quite a lot.  I wouldn't judge the whole lot on one guitar.

I wouldn't judge all Fenders on one guitar either.  I love my Strat but I've played some others that were seriously uninspiring.
       True, that.  Precisely why I only buy guitars I can try out first.  Shipping may be convenient, but i'm sure it stinks when you get sent a no so good one.

I've tried out a few LP's that I was less than inspired by, too.   One could write a novel out of all the posts on here and musicradar talking about not so good Lesters.  On the other hand, there are just as many who rave about the ones they have.  Them's the breaks when you are dealing with mass produced, handmade items.  That's not even considering the fact that they're made from wood- and every piece of wood is different. 

For me, I'm not all that thrilled with the way they have felt in MY hands, nor with the designed in Achilles heel of that fragile angled headstock.  I'm honestly surprised they haven't addressed that in the half century they've made them.  Whatever, I do love the way they sound, and look, and I'm going to keep trying them out till I find one I do like!