Frailers pricing

What's Hot
As previously mentioned I'm on the lookout for a used D28 and am considering a trip to Frailers in Runcorn. However, looking at their website the used prices are a bit all over the place.

There's a 93 for £1400 and a 96 and 2008 for £1800.00, the new price is currently £1900.00 Therefore, am I missing something here?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I don't know, but '93 is looking like a good year from this perspective...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have been there and they are very straight with you about any defects etc, so I imagine if you call them they will explain why! Probably related to condition.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited January 2016
    As I've said before, Frailers are ultra-straight.

They invariably try to do a deal (provided you approach them in a reasonable manner about it).

One thing you get there - which is a truly golden opportunity - is to play a number of examples of the same (or very similar) guitars back-to-back and compare them with rival Gibsons, Guilds, Taylors et al.

As a result of doing this, you can be pretty confident you've got the best guitar your budget will get you. If this means you pay slightly more for it, I'd say it's money well spent.
  • I've had two guitats from frailers n I'd recommend them anytime
  • Frank negotiates a lot too. Very honest guy. I'm local (gigged across the road tonight I fact) to him if you want a guitar checking out I can
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5262
    one other thing to bear in mind is that, some guitars are better than others, even in the case of "twins"......as @richardhomer quite rightly points out, the opporunity to sit down and try several "identically spec'd guitars from the same maker...is rare and definitely worth paying for.....good luck
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    edited January 2016
    I've been in the shop since my original post - last time before that I was there about 12 years ago.
    I've got no problem with Frailers or the owners of the shop they seem like decent fellas.
    There is a fantastic Martin D18V in the shop if anyone is looking for one.
    However, I stand by the assertion that £1800.00 is too much s/hand for a guitar you can pick up for £1750.00 new.

I assume that the implication is massive reductions in price can be had for those who want to haggle?

• I assume that the implication is massive reductions in price can be had for those who want to haggle?
    10% is a given, another 10% is possible with a wry smile if you stand and chat. He's also the best Ive known for trade in deals too. 

Desctiptions (in fact the whole site) isn't great. There maybe be something special about that guitar, that isn't mentioned
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    However, I stand by the assertion that £1800.00 is too much s/hand for a guitar you can pick up for £1750.00 new.
    Unless, for whatever reason, the second hand one for £1800 is a 'magic' one that just sounds far better than any new one you can find at £1750. (Not that likely with Martin as they're quite consistent, but it could be so.) And is in good enough condition that the fact that it's not technically new doesn't matter.

With a decent acoustic guitar that you're likely to have for the best part of a lifetime, I would pick the best one even if it doesn't look like a bargain. As they used to say about Rolls-Royces, "the quality will remain long after the price is forgotten".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Unless, for whatever reason, the second hand one for £1800 is a 'magic' one that just sounds far better than any new one you can find at £1750. (Not that likely with Martin as they're quite consistent, but it could be so.) And is in good enough condition that the fact that it's not technically new doesn't matter.

With a decent acoustic guitar that you're likely to have for the best part of a lifetime, I would pick the best one even if it doesn't look like a bargain. As they used to say about Rolls-Royces, "the quality will remain long after the price is forgotten".
    I played it and as far as i could tell it was there was no magic - just a good D28 - not as good as an HD28 which was cheaper and not as good as a new D28 in Sounds Great which blew away a more expensive Collings Dreadnought.
    So, on this occasion I don't I would have been walking out of the shop with the best guitar and therefore could have justified the price being higher. The truth (IMHO) is the best guitar I played in there was a D18V. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    It does seem a bit odd then…

Anyway, in the end the same rule applies as always - buy the one you like the sound of best, regardless of price (assuming you can afford it, of course).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein