Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

WTF ? Phillips Cleartone Guitars ( Mr Sausage fingers)

What's Hot
BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
edited December 2013 in Guitar

"I am not a guitar builder but more of a master bodger really... grand master even! " dated 2009....

http://forum.bandmix.com/viewtopic.php?t=9779

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• So awkward how it just ends on his last comment...
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Nice combination!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinw said:

Nice combination!

Is that for sausage legs ?

• NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited December 2013
    Made out of discarded neck pickups :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My favourite bit is "since my wife moved out I have been in contact with a Philippina working on the other side of Europe (Romania) who might settle with me in the UK all things being equal"
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    I'm glad he's not my posty...

"I have a song just written and recorded called 'Goodwyn's Road'; I started it when I was a 19 year old postman but just the idea in my head...

It was conceived from the names of the people living along one side of the road mentioned, and is carried by a slow stomp beat that mirrored by own then younger feet trudging round the housing estate in question."
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Based in Medway in those days. Ah well, Medway's loss is Mayfield's............................... Loss.
  • LukeageLukeage Frets: 35
    edited December 2013

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Is 'work the machine' a euphemism..?

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Oh dear.

Haha. Your words, not mine @usedtobe ;)

See my thoughts are that he brings it upon himself. 

It seems he used to be in a habit of admitting that what he does is silly. Now, he seems to be convinced that this is the right thing to do and that this is what people want I guess he's going to be forever deluded and the madness will know no end. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Hahahahaha!!!
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited December 2013
    I for one feel very uncomfortable about this Mark Phillips bullying. I'm sure each of you has humour not malice at the heart of it, but I'm imagining how he would feel if he stumbled across these threads about him. It's just not right. I think people should stop and the mods should delete the threads before he sees them.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Have a wisdom viz. Not sure these threads reflect well on the forum.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10379
    tFB Trader
    Commenting on the poor workmanship and insane concept of these 'creations' is, to my mind, totally different to launching personal derision in his general direction. I remain convinced that Warning the guitar buying public that these instruments are in no way worth what is being charged for them is a service.
    However, some of the posts here and on the other thread have gone too far for my comfort too. His personal life ... even should he chose to make it uncomfortably public ... is his own, and I think we should respect that.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    I agree with Viz,
    sorry to sound preachy, if the stuff here triggered a serious event for this chap, no one would feel ok about it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10379
    tFB Trader
    There is however an aspect where the man'scowboy attitude is ripping the public off ... and nobody would want that... therefore I think that simply closing, locking or erasing the thread would also be counterproductive.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Yep Ash, peoples' opinions on what they see as poor design or workmanship or sales practices are legit and not what I'm referring to.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Another vote for an end to the personal shit. The guitars and sales pitch are bizarre, but chances are that behind it all is a nice enough bloke who's trying to make a living.

Mods I would also like to see this thread sorted in some way. A critique on someone's guitars, however harsh, is one thing. But openly mocking his personal life is manifestly "being a dick".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2013
    Commenting on the poor workmanship and insane concept of these 'creations' is, to my mind, totally different to launching personal derision in his general direction. I remain convinced that Warning the guitar buying public that these instruments are in no way worth what is being charged for them is a service.
    However, some of the posts here and on the other thread have gone too far for my comfort too. His personal life ... even should he chose to make it uncomfortably public ... is his own, and I think we should respect that.

In complete agreement with everything @TheGuitarWeasel has put.  As I said in the other thread I do think the guy is misleading inexperienced buyers and in any other arena we would not hesitate to call it a rip off. 

As for the personal stuff, it becomes a bit complex.  I don't agree personal comments are constructive.  There is enough here to criticise workmanship wise without ever straying in to personal, even if ever so publicised, info.  However the whole forum becomes laden with 'personal jokes' at the expense of other people who forumites deem as wrong doers.  Mention the latest X-Factor winner and somebody will call him a wanker or makes some personal slight about him.  Bring up the story of Music Ground and the world and his wife condemn them as cunts - it's not always a case of sticking to the business or crimes in hand.  Take a look back to any thread that mentions Justin Bieber.

That said, with the guy concerned it depends how you view him.  Does anyone think he is being fair in the info he is giving or the prices he is charging?  Who is likely to fall for this?  Would you be comfortable buying from him?  If his techniques are so brilliant and revolutionary then why don't you already own one?  Why aren't other luthiers using these techniques?  Where are the threads praising his work?  Do you believe any member of the forum would be buying from this guy and if not why do you say that is?

Personally I feel someone like himself is a massive ditch in the road waiting for the naïve to fall in to.  He clearly targets beginners.  To some beginners (especially youngsters) getting overcharged for an abortion of an instrument may be just a tough lesson, for others it may be the end of a dream.  When I think back to both how tight money was when I was young and how important the guitar was to me people like this do concern me. 

In this case I don't see how you can expect him to be treated any differently to any other pantomime type villain whose name appears on this forums.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • TheGuitarWeasel;97446" said:
    There is however an aspect where the man'scowboy attitude is ripping the public off ... and nobody would want that... therefore I think that simply closing, locking or erasing the thread would also be counterproductive.
    Not sure I even agree with this. You might strongly object to his pricing (I wouldn't buy one myself) but I can think of worse examples on eBay, and there has to be some degree of caveat emptor. It's not like he's selling fake Gibsons FFS - he's fairly straight (surprisingly so at times) about the evolution of the guitars.
This discussion has been closed.