Blackmachine - tell me about them

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

I see a lot of interest in these guitars, I've read the history and see that Feline are now building them.

Visually they look great, they seem very much aimed towards the hard rock / metal player with the specs I see.

They look a great guitar and with people like Feline building them are going to be of a high standard, so no disputes on price v quality, but I'm curious what makes these such desirable guitars ? is the neck profile something special, is the body just too comfortable, is it just killer when it's all pulled together, what is the hook on the blackmachines ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    They pretty much spawned a whole new guitar type which. The superthin bevelled edge superstrat. (with fanned fret options and great alternative woods and ERG possibilities)

Like all guitar designs, a lot of it had been done by others before. That is not to take away from blackmachine, its just a fact of guitar design. BM combined those features in a way which took off well.

They are very nicely built which always helps

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    so it's the overall package of the design + great build quality that makes it, good quality design choices built by good quality luthirers
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    @FelineGuitars will know more than most, but I also believe it might be some genres of metal where the BM is highly sought after which added to the hype. I've played a couple and they really are wonderful. Very light, thin and resonant.
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    edited January 2016
    A couple of very influential prog metal guys started playing the. Around the time the Internet forums were obsessing over custom builds. This sent demand through the roof and Doug had stopped producing them in any number. They trade for huge premiums second hand currently. Much as the others have said, they were incredibly well built and very resonant but also were perfect for the kind of aggressive percussive style of the prog metal crowd like Sikth, periphery, red seas fire etc These forums (notably sevenstring.org) have basically contributed to the bankruptcy and failure of various custom builders like KxK, Bernie Ricoh etc. As a corollary of the demand shock they engendered. The 'latest' builder is lauded and the orders flow in and these guys aren't geared for production and fail to deliver on time with people subsequently (and understandably) pulling orders. Dylan from daemoness has done this properly by refusing to to have too many orders and a book which he can't fulfil. Others weren't so insightful or honest. Similarly black machine have not fallen prey to this.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Doug whose brand it is is my best friend (or one of them) and we've worked together for 25 years.

He established some "new" ideas that actually have most of their roots in old school luthiery - mostly to do with letting timbers settle and destress between cuts or processes. This way you get a strong stable and very resonant guitar that really sings.

He was initially scorned and laughed at by a few over his superthin builds - the B2 is only 28mm thick.
    But opinions slowly changed  and the guitars were championed by players in bands like Sikth and Periphery and caught the attention of the emerging tech metal scene.

In terms of who makes them - it is only Doug and more recently myself at Doug's request as he needed to make more available but wouldn't have just anyone helping. It was only because we both felt that our skills & outlook on building were matched that 

Sadly a number of other companies did do blatant rip offs (at least in general look) and claim they had permission to which they didn't.

I make the B6 model and Doug still builds the higher spec models.
    The supply and demand dynamics  (demand outstripping supply in a big way) did lead to a mad escalation of prices on the used market, not that Doug or I saw a penny of that profiteering, although I believe Doug has become a bit like Alexander Dumble in terms of picking and choosing what he builds and for who with people offering him their first born for him to build them something.

We keep a uniform for the B6 and we pay Doug a serious license for each one we build.
    Whats the quality like ? Think of what a Feline build would be like and that will tell you.....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    I grew up with Doug as a kid and can confirm he builds a mean guitar!

The guy is very good at whatever he turns his hand too.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• I have one of the first b6 guitars made, silver plate on the back, I love it, such a great guitar.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    edited January 2016
    Saw that. I'm sure he could get more than £1600 for it?
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I'm sure I want it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Hard to describe why they're so great so you really do have to play them. They really are something special and I'm some one who didn't get the hype at all untill I played a B6 at the last Fretboard Gear meet up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    OMFG!
    That is indeed a RARE beast!

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Stevepage said:
    Hard to describe why they're so great so you really do have to play them. They really are something special and I'm some one who didn't get the hype at all untill I played a B6 at the last Fretboard Gear meet up.
    Snap. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    That SG type thing looks amazingly cool.
    edited January 2016 tFB Trader
    We do have 4 of these that need to be sold , and whilst there are enquiries floating about I thoughtI'd mention it here
    Not quite finished in this pic but all nearly there now

We are offering to those already on the waiting list first, but do let us know if you are wanting one and in a position to buy RIGHT AWAY as we need to complete the sales on these very quickly and will open it up to all within 48 hours.
    Price is £2350 each (UK Pounds!) plus shipping and insurance etc.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Love that grain on number 3!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    FelineGuitars;938098" said:
    We do have 4 of these that need to be sold , and whilst there are enquiries floating about I thoughtI'd mention it hereNot quite finished in this pic but all nearly there now

We are offering to those already on the waiting list first, but do let us know if you are wanting one and in a position to buy RIGHT AWAY as we need to complete the sales on these very quickly and will open it up to all within 48 hours.

Price is £2350 each (UK Pounds!) plus shipping and insurance etc.
    The Fretboards on 4 and 5 look stunning!
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    Really wish I could have one of those. I was on the list years ago, but then I believe it was all cleared and Doug decided he was only making for select people.
  • Normally blackmachine aren't my kind of thing but that Black SG thing is absolutely immense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    edited January 2016
    DefaultM said:
    Really wish I could have one of those. I was on the list years ago, but then I believe it was all cleared and Doug decided he was only making for select people.
      the "noDefaultMs" club ?

;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom