Impulsive GAS-Squier Vintage Modified Strat

What's Hot
cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2561
edited December 2013 in Guitar
After losing out on Hymnal's Levinson Blade, I decided that even though I have little money, I still wanted a Strat so had a drive over to Andertons in Guildford and tried out the Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster. Very impressed. Quality of build is excellent and the sound from the 'Duncan designed' pickups was the classic strat tone, with some bite. With the gain cranked up I managed some very heavy riffs (dropped D stuff) and some shreddy lead lines that sounded ace through the neck pickup. I bought it immediately, £228. Service, as usual from Andertons was excellent.

When I got it home I played it through my Marshall VS100R amp and it sounded gorgeous. I still can't believe that a guitar can be this good for the money. I will pay for a setup to make it better though, I think it needs it. I've only put it down to make dinner but will be spending the evening breaking out the Hendrix riffs and licks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2890
    Lovely guitar. Nice one.
  •   I agree- I got the 50's version in surf green with DD lipsticks in it.   Great guitar at a great price: $300 US.

Is the trem on yours unusually stiff?  I have two Squier strats, and both are like that.  I was wondering if it was a Squier "thing".
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2561
    I haven't used the trem yet, just played it straight out of the box. Hasn't gone out of tune yet. I've got the trem arm and an extra spring but the bag remains unopened. Will try it tomorrow.
    Ah yes, the trem is stiff. I'll be handing the guitar over tomorrow to have it setup so will ask the guy about the trem. Been playing it again this morning, I really can't get over how great it sounds. Gilmour licks just flow out of it and sound bob-on. I think I'm going to love this guitar.
  • It's hard to believe they're as good as they are.

It used to be, good for the money. Now, they're good gigging and recording guitars full stop. I tried the jazzmaster one that @bucket has (well, not his but a store one) and it didn't even need a neck shim - it already stayed in tune and even allowed 1 tone bends up to the 15th fret before it would ping out of the saddle. Not bad for a notoriously difficult to set up guitar... At that price!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3913
    Nice Strat. Love the big 'stock.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10559
    edited December 2013 tFB Trader
    I did similar ... impulse buy two weeks ago ... someone on here said look at this e bay bargain ... and I did ... pulled the trigger ... and I can confirm: belting guitars! Mine own in living colour ... so new it also has the trem arm sealed in a bag and the plastic on the backplate too.

I've done a basic setup ... and while the nut slots were a bit high ... with a bit of tweaking the action is now as low and sweet as I've got any US Strat. The neck is beautiful ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited December 2013
    I'm selling one of those for £110, the HSS version in Sunburst. 

tFB Trader

I'm selling one of those for £110, the HSS version in Sunburst. 
    Well worth it ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

I'd say so too. @TheGuitarWeasel I agree the neck is very good. Mind you, it has taken a little playing to 'loosen up' but it's getting there now. It's the first guitar I've owned in the last 10 years that has made me want to play for hours. Which I have. Astounding really, especially at the price.
    edited December 2013 tFB Trader
    Mine's been getting a massive amount of play from me too. I will probably be fitting a steel trem block ... but then I'd do that on any Strat with a 'compressed cheese' slimline one :)
    Absolutely nobody would bat an eyelid if this had a 'Fender' rather than Squier badge,  better than some Mexican Strats I've tried.
    The pickups are also every bit as good as a Mex ...
    It does actually make the Mexican option look a bit poorer value these days. Are we lucky to have got good ones ... or is this the beginning of the end for 'Jalapeno Strats'?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Great tip. Any you would recommend? Pardon my ignorance.
    tFB Trader
     If Andy at Wudtone does one that fits I might well use that. Otherwise I will fit a Wilkinson bridge that has a steel block and a push fit trem arm.

tFB Trader
    The biggest joy was a tiny point ... but so many Squiers have had horrible soft nuts - probably made out of recycled pasta  to match the cheese of the bridge blocks. That this one ... of the proper density and pretty well cut, is a revelation.
    I haven't taken stuff apart to find out what the pots are like ... they feel pretty good ... but I may just replace them anyway as I've just started stocking Bourns ones :) 

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Well after spotting the one Weasel got and it being too far for me to collect I got one delivered for £110. It's mint and well setup so I'm happy.

Bought as my MIM classic and Jap Pink Flower left me a long time ago. It compares favourably and more importantly can be chucked in the boot after practice and I don't have to worry about going to the pub and leaving a £500 or £1k guitar in the motor.

It's light, trem feels a bit cheap, sounds the part and looks the part though. Frets could probably benefit from having the edge taken off them but they by no means shred your hands.

Previously known as stevebrum
    edited December 2013
    The cream ones look very nice. At £110 that is a stone cold bargain.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited December 2013
    If I could source a white or cream body for mine I would keep it, I already have USA Fender sunbursts. I have to admit, the necks are nice on these.

tFB Trader
    Body lightness comes from being basswood ... doesn't seem to damage the tone at all mind. I can't believe guitars of this quality are floating about for a hundred quid ... give or take :)
    The trem is probably about the same quality as a Mex one ... either would get the order of the boot from me eventually.
    Bloody impressive working guitar for the money, all said and done, and a great platform for some tasteful upgrading.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I should add the finish is a bit translucent.
    Previously known as stevebrum