Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

OD pedal for a Princeton

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4696
Having proved that I can't get my lovely new Princeton to break up at anything approaching comfortable volume, I'm after a really good OD or distortion pedal.  Guitars are LPs.

I have a Keeley modified BD2 which gets me a nice tone but the bottom end seems to disappear somewhat, although I could always turn up the bass on the amp, currently on 3.

I have been loaned a Box of Rock which also gets a very nice tone but still isn't quite what I'm looking for.  It's like the BD2 on steroids but still the bottom end is a bit light. 

I am toying with getting a DS1 and using it with the BD2 but that will probably rob me of even more bottom end, or add more middle at least.

I'm not after a Marshall on 11 sound but something more subtle and definitely bluesey.   Alvin Lee at Woodstock; EC Crossroads on Wheels of Fire; 335 very wound up if you like.

The Gunshot appeals but may not be the thing I need.  Any thoughts and comment gratefully received. 

Ta.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Timmy should work well for you and has a dedicated bass control.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Boss OD3
  • Nobels ODR-1
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I'd go for something Tubescreamery. Something with some mids to fill in the scooped Princeton sound. I use an XTS Precision Multidrive with mine and it's superb, plus it has some bass EQ options via a mini toggle switch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Tubescreamer is at it's best driving something that's already breaking up a little.

If you want something more amp like then an OCD (or cheaper clone) is worth a try.

BB preamp is also a great pedal and with the 2 band Eq gives quite a lot of flexibility.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    simonk;935098" said:
    I'd go for something Tubescreamery. Something with some mids to fill in the scooped Princeton sound. I use an XTS Precision Multidrive with mine and it's superb, plus it has some bass EQ options via a mini toggle switch.
    Bad Monkey then?

Got two eq knobs there, low and high.

Discontinued so grab one cheap before ebay prices ramp up and an expensive RI comes out 5 yrs hence!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Way Huge Pork Loin was all I ever used with my Princeton. It has loads of bass if you need it. Seems to have been made for it.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Lazy J Cruiser works well too and gives lots of options
  • simonk said:
    thats a modded Nobels ODR-1
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've found with mine that different guitars work differently with different OD's on my 68 Princeton. The humbuckers on a 335 work great with a Fredric effects Zombie clone. The single coils on my Strat sound great with the Zombie clone and a tube screamer stacked.    
  • I have a Zen Clone that goes beautifully with mine.  Since I changed the speaker to a Ragin Cajun it works even better.  
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    Having proved that I can't get my lovely new Princeton to break up at anything approaching comfortable volume, I'm after a really good OD or distortion pedal.  Guitars are LPs.

I have a Keeley modified BD2 which gets me a nice tone but the bottom end seems to disappear somewhat, although I could always turn up the bass on the amp, currently on 3.

I have been loaned a Box of Rock which also gets a very nice tone but still isn't quite what I'm looking for.  It's like the BD2 on steroids but still the bottom end is a bit light. 

I am toying with getting a DS1 and using it with the BD2 but that will probably rob me of even more bottom end, or add more middle at least.

I'm not after a Marshall on 11 sound but something more subtle and definitely bluesey.   Alvin Lee at Woodstock; EC Crossroads on Wheels of Fire; 335 very wound up if you like.

The Gunshot appeals but may not be the thing I need.  Any thoughts and comment gratefully received. 

Ta.

Although not out yet, (end of feb) the peacekeeper is what you need for this amp. ask @gassage
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Gagaryn said:
    Lazy J Cruiser works well too and gives lots of options
    It's a great pedal but I ended up selling mine because of the lack of Eq.  I wanted to be able to back the high end off a touch but I couldn't.

I have heard a Princeton Reverb reissue sound absolutely stellar (in the hands of someone a lot better than me it must be said) with an OCD and an EHX Soul Food.  That wasn't at home volumes though.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited January 2016
    meltedbuzzbox;935185" said:
    simonk said:

thats a modded Nobels ODR-1
    Nope, the Precision/Multidrive are XTS' Tubescreamer alikes. The Imperial is their version of the ODR-1, and very fine it is too.
  • I've found with mine that different guitars work differently with different OD's on my 68 Princeton. The humbuckers on a 335 work great with a Fredric effects Zombie clone. The single coils on my Strat sound great with the Zombie clone and a tube screamer stacked.    

Here's the thing with a Princeton, I've just plugged my firebird into the same pedal board with all the same settings on the amp and pedals and it sounds shit. The only thing that works in this instance is to crank the amp.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Slightly sales-y intervention, sorry, but here goes...I'm selling a VS Route 808 in the Classifieds right now if you decide to go the tube screamer-ish route.  Lots more low end than most TS-types in the boosted mode.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Lez325Lez325 Frets: 82
    Another vote for the Tubescreamer or Boss BD2 Blues Driver :)

Les 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Another favourite of mine is the Boss OD-2. Sounds great with any Fender amp.
  • Boss Bd2- phenomenal pedal with humbuckers, utter crap with single coils........I've had one  knocking on 20 years and tried a lot of guitars,  single coils & humbuckers pickups but have to say there's nothing sweeter than this cranked up on my Pearly Gates.........
  • BobTheSalmonBobTheSalmon Frets: 37
    edited January 2019
    The MXR Custom Badass Modified OD is a criminally overlooked drive pedal. It has a 100Hz knob to put back in as much bass as you want as well as mid boost to put you in TS territory. 

It got great reviews on release and is universally praised by those who use it, but barely seems to get a mention. Very versatile.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/mxr-m77se-badass-overdrive-guitar-effects-pedal?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAgrfhBRA3EiwAnfF4tgK0j7RtCj8-OJG-dg30saSLfEofESxcEXhgHTGu3Ag88R6ud5w6sxoCPyAQAvD_BwE