Album That Changed Your Life

What's Hot

Comments

• ElxElx Frets: 412
    Motorhead No Remorse, double vinyl, best of...I was 10 when I heard it and that moment is the reason I am where I am today. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    axisus said:
    Serratus said:

There are so many bands/albums that had huge influences over me (Living Colour, Racer X, Spin Doctors, Sting, RHCP, Satch, Vai, Extreme, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and recently Periphery, Big Wreck, and back in the 80's Bon Jovi, etc), but this band and album is what started me playing guitar.

Has to be Van Halen I

Ahh yes. My friends older bro had that. I remember just staring at the cover thinking that they looked like ultimate rock gods. Eruption was out of this world!
    I was listening to VH I the other week and it still sounds so fresh... like it was recorded yesterday...
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    Bryan Adams Reckless. The reason I picked up the guitar in the first place, and the gateway to rock music for me. Until then it was all New Kids on the Block... 

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Bought a second-hand vinyl copy of this when I was a teenager 20 years ago and it blew my mind - the interplay between Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd was like nothing I'd ever heard. They're still two of my favourite players, and they have very different styles, which makes the way they play together all the more amazing.

I was about to post to say pretty much the same thing, except in my case it was a bit longer ago...
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited March 2017
    Pink Floyd's "Animals" when I was back in school.

It was probably the first 'proper' album I had ever listened to, and got me into Floyd in a big way. Animals was so different to anything else I had listened to at the time, and the music captured the imagination that only earlier Floyd could match.

http://i.imgur.com/PC9LuU6.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I remember being a kid in the 70's and hearing Tubular Bells for the first time.

That was the day I discovered prog rock and that changed my life.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    A number of albums turned my head this way and that but there have been a few standout moments where I pretty much wore out the grooves of certain albums

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
    I had liked Queen a lot here and there but hadn't been switched onto music in a big way.
    When Crazy little Thing was released in late '79 I renewed my interest and bought this album in Beanos secondhand records in Croydon . I played it incessantly and became a die hard Queen fan. 
    So I can confess that Brian got me interested in guitar playing and also making guitars 

Paul Stanley - Kiss era Solo album
    Bought this at a record stall at an open air market in school summer holidays 1980.
    Already having somewhat of an appetite for glam rock via T rex, Slade, Sweet and Queen , Kiss came naturally to me 
    However this album was and remains a real highpoint for me and one that I just don't tire of

Then the album that pretty much dictated my future guitar Obsession (sic)
    MSG - One Night At Budokan
    Bought it the week it came out in late 1981
    Michael Schenker just had something that has stayed with me ever since 
    He's fallen off the wagon , and yet has climbed back again so strongly it's impressive to see 
    Here he is in all his 1981 glory

Then by way of catch-up I soon discovered UFO and the perfect (for me ) live alum
    UFO - Strangers In The Night
    Michael Schenker again doing his thing

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I suppose the one that sticks out is the one that kick-started the development of my own music taste as a seven-year-old (I think I was seven, anyway). It was Echo Park by Feeder.

Everything about it is so evocative - the music, the lyrics, the album art, even the guitar tone and all the sound-scaping and layering. I still think it's a fucking brilliant album. One of my all-time favourites to this day, in fact. 'Buck Rogers' was the track that got me hooked (I'd heard it on Gran Turismo 3 as well, which helped), but my favourite track from the album is probably Seven Days in the Sun - that sledgehammer of a guitar sound helps as well.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • warheadwarhead Frets: 97
    Appetite For Destruction, for sure......
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

Difficult to say, because sometimes music has spoken to me but not changed my life, and in other instances there's been music in my life at pivotal points, but the music hasn't really been personal. So I'll just go with what music made me love music, and why.

REM Out Of Time. Probably still my favourite album of all time. I remember my best friend's brother was going off to basic training, and he told us if we touched his Out of Time LP we'd be dead. Needless to say it got leathered. And it also gave me that first feel of "owning and cherishing" a record.

Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream. This was the first band that I "discovered" for myself. They were on the Word in 93/94? and the following day I was going to Inverness with my parents. I got the cassette in Our Price, and then introduced all of my friends to one of the best albums of all time.

WYWH/The Wall. Floyd came at a time when I was discovering guitar, and also listening to music that my friends weren't. I found it all incredibly immersive. And still do,

Radiohead The Bends. I heard the best guitar album of all time, and knew that I wanted that for myself.

Air Moon Safari. My initial foray into electronica (actually listened to Tangerine Dream for a while when I was younger, but it didn't click at the time). Began a love affair with electronic music that burns as bright as ever.

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited March 2017
    Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill. My first non - parentally sanctioned music purchase, and the wildest thing id ever heard at age 11. Loved the metal guitar parts on No Sleep til Brooklyn, which is discovered were played by non other than Kerry King of.....

Slayer - Raining Blood. Was led directly to this album from the Beastie Boys connection and it being on the same label (Def Jam). Made me almost literally explode with excitement as I had bever ever heard anything like it before - blew my mind is an understatement. Friends would come over and ask me to put the Slayer tape on because theyd heard from other ones how insane it was, my parents loathed it, and my sister thought I was having some sort of breakdown. None of this mattered because I was now a fully fledged metalhead, and I knew I was never going back. 

Big Black - Songs about Fucking. Age 16, and going to 6th form I met a few people who looked scruffy and grubby like me, but didnt just listen to Bolt Thrower. They listened to weird angular noisy rock like Big Black, which i discovered was equally intense as a lot of the metal Id been into. This was the only album of theirs you could find in my town, and you had to have some balls to take it to the counter and subsequently get it into your house unnoticed as the cover was, um, not subtle.

Minor Threat - Complete Discography. Came to this album through my new network of friends who all told me I would love it. They were correct - tracks lasting mere seconds, not a second of time wasted in the enitre record, the most primitive yet brutal guitar sound ever, and guy yelling himself hoarse. These 4 records combine to inform my listening habits to this day - absoultely love it

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    grungebob said:

Troublegum Therapy?

I think I could still reel off every lyric from that album and I haven't listened to it in years. When it came out and It was the lightbulb moment when I knew guitar and rock music was for me. I remember barely being able to play a C chord but desperately trying to figure out the riff to Screamager.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    This, sure there was lots of music before it but this grabbed the 18 year me like nothing else before. It just fit,i was a pissed off 18 year old, full of angst living in the Highlands of Scotland. It felt more " real" to me than a lot of the other music i was hearing at the time. This one album lead me onto others, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Screaming Tree's, Mudhoney, STP etc but for me it was the soundtrack to my late teens and as it turns out pretty much my whole life. 

i waited a long time to see PJ live and a few years ago i got to, and i am not ashamed to admit when they came on stage and opened up with Release i cried.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2017
    Well, there were a few as they happened at different stages of my life.

First one - Live and Dangerous (Thin Lizzy) as it taught me to play guitar and it still gets me.

Second one - Van Halen (First album) as it made we want to put down the guitar! I'd never heard guitar sounds or playing like that and still to this day, and counting Hendrix, I don't think we've heard anything as new and massive in the guitar world.

Lastly, Steely Dan's Greatest Hits/The Nightfly (Donald Fagen) - Just sheer brilliance on every level and The Nightfly remains a desert island disc.

When I hear any of these albums, I also remember what I was doing at the time, who I was with and they're all good memories.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited March 2017
    When I was a kid I was into 'pop' music, and then 'Motown'. Then a friend at school lent me this album and it blew my mind and I was an instant rock convert.  I started listening to everything 'rock/blues' I can find - Led Zep, Cream, Humble Pie, Free, Clapton etc etc.  I'd started learning guitar on a spanish nylon strung guitar but because of this album went out and, with my dad's help, bought a cheap £20 'Top Gear' Tele shaped electric guitar and a 'Leo' 7w practice amp...and the rest as they say is history!  Guitar became a passion and 45 years on that passion has only increased.  So, this album really did change my life.  And in 1974 when the 'Hello' album came out I had a back-stage pass at the Empire Pool Wembley where I met the guys from Status Quo (my heroes at that time):

Image result for status quo piledriver
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I suspect it would most likely be PXR5 by Hawkwind. That''s what made me want to play guitar and opened the door for a whole load of music that they didn't play on the wireless at that time!

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    When I were a nipper my mum had a compilation CD called 'back on the road', which was a killer 'alternative' rock collection.

track one - all right now
    track two was Hendrix's version of 'watchtower'

I must have listened to it hundreds of times, and Watchtower was all I'd listen to, again and again!

thanks, mum!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Don't know about changing my life but Experience Hendrix greatest hits is what got me started on guitar in the first place. Then Led Zep. And then RATM self titled kept me interested in guitar when I went through a phase of being bored of "classic rock/dad rock" sounds. 
  • eSully said:
    grungebob said:

Troublegum Therapy?

I think I could still reel off every lyric from that album and I haven't listened to it in years. When it came out and It was the lightbulb moment when I knew guitar and rock music was for me. I remember barely being able to play a C chord but desperately trying to figure out the riff to Screamager.
    I swear to God I once heard the lines "ALL PEOPLE ARE SH*T! BAD TRIP TATTOOED ON MY BRAIN! ALL PEOPLE ARE SH*T!" playing on the radio in the caff ON CORONATION STREET.

I can't have imagined it..

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4534
    Wish by The Cure, it was the first time i had ever heard a flanger or a phaser anywhere played with overdrive. An amazing sound that i still love today