NAD Victory V40

What's Hot
benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
So after the catastrophe of DPD being unable to deliver a head and a cab on the same day I finally got the full package today. 

I have to say Im extremely underwhelmed so far. I've only had a full afternoon messing with it so obviously limited experience at present but I'm not convinced and at the moment I think its going back. Although its hard (and perhaps pointless) to describe sounds I can only say that I find it to be all top and bottom with nothing in between. I like a lot of mid in my sound so maybe the issue is me?

I am going to get into a practice room this week and crank it but even if it sounds great at gig levels I can't see any benefit to keeping hold of an amp that I'm not 100% happy with at home.

Its not bad but I think even if I'd paid half as much for it I would still have been disappointed. I shall update the thread after I've had chance to put it through its places properly. 
How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• although it is stunningly good looking for an amp! :-P
    How very rock and roll
  • I must say, I was totally unconvinced by any of their amps...

...until I tried the Kraken. My god, it's an amazing amp. Kicks the balls off my Jet City amps, and my Soldano Decatone.

If you like it gain-y, that's the one to get.
    <space for hire>
  • If you like it gain-y, that's the one to get.
    Thats the thing, I don't really. On paper the V40 is my absolute ideal amp. I like clean, punchy fender tones and gritty tweed drives which is supposedly that the V40 delivers. Ive spent about an hour comparing it to my Hot rod Deluxe this amp and it failed to impress in every respect. 
    How very rock and roll
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    benmurray85;938100" said:
    digitalscream said:If you like it gain-y, that's the one to get.

Thats the thing, I don't really. On paper the V40 is my absolute ideal amp. I like clean, punchy fender tones and gritty tweed drives which is supposedly that the V40 delivers. Ive spent about an hour comparing it to my Hot rod Deluxe this amp and it failed to impress in every respect. 
    Well that's disappointing I'm planning on making the trek to andertons to try one in a few weeks and will be taking my amp with me to compare in the store. On paper it's my perfect amp as well but I also like a lot of mids. Does the mid kick switch do much @benmurray85?

I really like @Alnico's special edition hot rod Deville and plan B is to buy a hot rod deluxe then ask Paul @ Zilla cabs to turn it into a head.
  • @Adam_MD yes the mid kick is the best feature (for me anyways) tbh Ive had it on all the time as without it on I definitely wasn't getting on with it at all
    How very rock and roll
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I found that with the mid-kick on and the second voicing it was perfect for me, but in the other settings not so good. I also found that it's an amp that really needs to warm up - can sound very thin when first on (or indeed at low volumes) but when cooking sounds great. Try it at rehearsal and report back - willing to bet you will have had a different experience.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3399
    So after the catastrophe of DPD being unable to deliver a head and a cab on the same day I finally got the full package today. 

I have to say Im extremely underwhelmed so far. I've only had a full afternoon messing with it so obviously limited experience at present but I'm not convinced and at the moment I think its going back. Although its hard (and perhaps pointless) to describe sounds I can only say that I find it to be all top and bottom with nothing in between. I like a lot of mid in my sound so maybe the issue is me?

I am going to get into a practice room this week and crank it but even if it sounds great at gig levels I can't see any benefit to keeping hold of an amp that I'm not 100% happy with at home.

Its not bad but I think even if I'd paid half as much for it I would still have been disappointed. I shall update the thread after I've had chance to put it through its places properly. 
    I had a good ol' play on one in Andertons a while back because I was convinced it was the amp for me - especially with some of the videos on YouTube showing how good it is, and I have to say I completely agree with you. It just didn't give me the "fizzy" feeling I was looking for. I tried about 15 different guitars of all shapes and sizes and none of them worked.

Then the guy helping me plugged into a ToneKing, and JEEBUS! That was the tone I was hoping for!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    That's not good mate... Sorry to hear that.

What cab/speaker do you have.  What style of music are you playing?

I love mine, I'm using it as a blues amp.  
  • After having more time to play with it Ive decided that it is going back. Purely personal preference and it has to be said the physically the amp is great. Its a good weight, solid and all works as it should. I did notice that for the first couple of hours the master volume pot was very noisy (almost like a zvex SHO pedal if anyones familiar with that) although it wore off eventualy.

The cab is also great quality and reassuringly weighty.

But the sound (for me) is just not a patch compared even to my HRD. The online demos sounds lovely and it was initially the Andertons interview with Bernire Marsden that made me want one but no matter what I try I cant seem to get a nice, rounded clean tone out of it to use as a platform for pedals. Im not slating the amp per-se just speaking of my experiences and maybe its me but I like to think Im able to get the sound that I like out of most amps within a few tweaks.

One thing I will say is that with a strat on the neck pickup its a lovely blues tone - in fact its clearly where the amp shines but Im not spending top dollar (for me) on an amp that Im only "happy" with one sound out of.

Given recent happenings on here I want to reitterate that Andertons have been superb throughout the delivery escapade and also the return (so far!)

How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Do you have the cream victory 1x12 or 2x12 cab?
  • 2x12 Cream Victory
    How very rock and roll
  • Gratuitous Instagram pic to prove its pretty

How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2016
    For home use have you tried...

1/2 watt mode with the gain up full, 
    master volume at 9pm
    Clean boost pedal in front

Are you using single coils?
    And what drive pedals have you used?
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1632
    Such a shame, that is one of life's little kick in the nuts when you buy a new bit of gear and dislike it.

First impressions are normally right as far as gear goes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJP;938791" said:
    For home use have you tried...

1/2 watt mode with the gain up full, master volume at 9pmClean boost pedal in front

Are you using single coils?And what drive pedals have you used?
    Although I haven't knowingly tried those exact settings I've given it a fairly decent running in the limited amount of time I've had it.

I don't want to spend a chunk of cash on an amp that I'm having to work at getting decent sounds out of.

And agreed if it doesn't knock your socks off at first then I guess you're hesitant to put any further effort in?
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited January 2016
    benmurray85;938858" said:
    [quote="AndyJP;938791"]For home use have you tried...

1/2 watt mode with the gain up full, master volume at 9pmClean boost pedal in front

Although I haven't knowingly tried those exact settings I've given it a fairly decent running in the limited amount of time I've had it.

I don't want to spend a chunk of cash on an amp that I'm having to work at getting decent sounds out of.

And agreed if it doesn't knock your socks off at first then I guess you're hesitant to put any further effort in?
    [/quote]

Had that with my EVH LBX. Was like flogging a dead horse trying to get a decent tone out of it.

I bought another cab and an eq pedal for it. I gave up after that as I was spending several hrs a day trying to please my ear and not actually playing anything. It shouldn't be that much effort and takes the shine off the NAD.

Bought an Engl ironball last week and straight out of the box it was perfect and I couldn't be happier.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    benmurray85;938858" said:
    [quote="AndyJP;938791"]For home use have you tried...

[/quote]

If it's not for you it's not for you. That is just too much cash to put into something you don't absolutely love.

You'll probably get on better with my Two Rock Studio Pro 35 up for sale in classifieds. ;)
    edited January 2016
    Well if you've tried it single ended  (by flicking the switch on the back ) and switched it to low power and not liked it then not for you for sure.

It's a pedal platform tho, that's why I asked about drive pedals.   Especially at home you need pedals with it.

Shame...
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    I'm deffo buying one of these this year but I have liked every victory I have tried thus far
  • I love my Kraken...