Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Johnny Marr Jags, do they rock?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Anyone prefer these over a Jazzmaster, and if so, why ?
    I love my Marr sig. One of the best guitars I've ever had. It's really versatile and I just found the Johnny Marr mods make sense.

Even with the wide string spacing the bridge is better (though I will get a Staytrem bridge soon).

I like how the trem arm stays put like a Bigsby, and the pickups and switching are great.  The neck is really nice too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    A mate has one, he loves it 
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    This ones my number 1 when playing in my cover band. Extremely versatile, covers so much ground.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Holy thread bump batman!

It was Jan '16 when I was pondering this. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3865
    edited September 2017
    I tried both the Marr and an American Professional today and to be honest, I preferred the Pro. Sure, the Marr felt a more premium with the nitro and the BKP's, but the frets were tiny, the pickups were darker than a normal Jag and the switching didn't do it for me. The Pro felt a bit more mass-produced, but I liked the simple phase switch and the narrow tall frets. The pickups were good for mass-produced ones too. Both had great medium C necks and the 4-way switch, which I love. Really impressed the whole Pro range TBH. The tweaks they've made suit me down to the ground.
  • Kylef said:
    This ones my number 1 when playing in my cover band. Extremely versatile, covers so much ground.

Kyle, we often have similar tastes in gear, it appears....

That is gorgeous, and would be my colour of choice.

Off to Coda today, so Ill have a play :)
  • I owned a Sherwood Green Marr for about 2 days. The styling, sound and overall feel was fantastic; I really wanted to keep it. But the nitro was incredibly poorly applied and according to a few sources, on mine it looked as though it hadn't cured. The lining of the case had left imprints in the nitro on the back, the nitro had already shrunk away a lot at the neck pocket, the pickguard was fitted badly so you couldn't get to the truss rod very well....etc.

It was a huge shame. Andertons were, surprisingly, not very helpful despite the obvious imperfections, and only offered to refund, not to replace despite having others in. For £1700 or whatever it was, I was pretty shocked.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I owned a Sherwood Green Marr for about 2 days. The styling, sound and overall feel was fantastic; I really wanted to keep it. But the nitro was incredibly poorly applied and according to a few sources, on mine it looked as though it hadn't cured. The lining of the case had left imprints in the nitro on the back, the nitro had already shrunk away a lot at the neck pocket, the pickguard was fitted badly so you couldn't get to the truss rod very well....etc.

It was a huge shame. Andertons were, surprisingly, not very helpful despite the obvious imperfections, and only offered to refund, not to replace despite having others in. For £1700 or whatever it was, I was pretty shocked.

Shame about the finish on that as they look great in Sherwood Green, but the truss rod is adjusted by taking the neck off.
  • That's weird; there was a cutout on mine like the modern Fenders.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    That's weird; there was a cutout on mine like the modern Fenders.
    And the old Fenders....
  • What I'm explaining is that the pickguard was fitted off centre, hopefully that makes sense. With Fender basses, (I've been a bass player much longer than a guitarist) I could just get in that cutout to adjust....but then again it's a totally different instrument. 
  • What I'm explaining is that the pickguard was fitted off centre, hopefully that makes sense. With Fender basses, (I've been a bass player much longer than a guitarist) I could just get in that cutout to adjust....but then again it's a totally different instrument. 
    Apologies, I know what you mean about the cut out, my reply wasn't the best. I've just seen a lot of truss rod adjustments on vintage style Fenders where the neck has been loosened or removed to allow access. I guess that's why they moved it to the headstock!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    edited September 2017
    my mate bought one and wasn't bonding with the bridge pickup with gain so he asked me to put a humbucker in it for him (gasp!). One JB jr later and it sounds a lot thicker and fuller which is what he wanted. The point being it's an easy mod to fit a SC sized HB to them if you like the look/feel but need more beef