Camel

What's Hot
Is it me or has the re-recording of The Snow Goose been done at a slower tempo (tracks 1-4) ?

I'm biased of course, after listening to the original on vinyl for nearly 30 years, but while I think the re-recording is a creditable attempt, I reckon I prefer the original.
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72337
    No idea, but you have just reminded me that I had Stationary Traveller in the 80s and really liked it, but by the 90s it seemed badly dated (both in context and musically) and I haven't heard it since… I should probably go back and give it another go.

I could never quite get into the earlier albums as much - a friend of mine was a big fan though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    A new version?   Why didn't I know this!!!     

(...goes to buy it now!)
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    Used to love Camel many years back. Andy latimer's a fantastic guitarist!
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
  • Guitarse said:
    Used to love Camel many years back. Andy latimer's a fantastic guitarist!
    Mr Latimer is one of my favourite guitarists, and I rate him as a wonderful musician.

www.camelproductions.com
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    edited December 2013
    That reminds me I must listen to the land of grey and pink

:P

• Ianpdq said:
    That reminds me I must listen to the land of grey and pink

:P
    yeh, but the trubble wiv Caravan is they never had a guitarist like Andy Latimer (or a keys man like Peter Bardens). They were good musicians though, I just thought they didn't quite have the charisma in their music . Richard Sinclair made a good contribution to Camel...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Mirage was one of my top albums in my 6th form years. In recent years I have really liked 'A nod & a wink" Maybe not classic Camel but something resonated for me with that one. It was my go to album when I was out running down lovely forest footpaths.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    A Nod and a Wink was my dog walking album a couple of years back so similar terrain but a slower pace (and dogs of course).
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750

Is it me or has the re-recording of The Snow Goose been done at a slower tempo (tracks 1-4) ?

I'm biased of course, after listening to the original on vinyl for nearly 30 years, but while I think the re-recording is a creditable attempt, I reckon I prefer the original.
    Thanks for the heads up - I really like it.    It does feel a tiny bit slower but to me has a bit more groove as a result and the improved production makes it a lot easier to listen to. :)
  • axisus said:
    Mirage was one of my top albums in my 6th form years. In recent years I have really liked 'A nod & a wink" Maybe not classic Camel but something resonated for me with that one. It was my go to album when I was out running down lovely forest footpaths.
    You must be same age as me. I was in my 6th form and a mate came round and said "Turn the radio on" (we had one of those valve sets that did FM, AM and long wave). I said "why" he said "Just do it". We were just in time for the Saturday 6 pm rock show. I was completely stunned by what I heard and said "who is this?". Matey said "Camel. They are on at the town hall next week, shall we go?". We went. It was the Snow Goose tour. The next shopping day I went into the record shop and cleaned out the Camel dept (Camel, Mirage, Snow Goose). I've lost count of the number of times I've been to see them since, and the Camel dept in my record collection bulges healthily. Long live Andy Latimer!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    I'd love to have heard what a meeting between Andy Powell and Andy Latimer might have produced? They have both been favourite guitarists of mine for many a long year. Their styles would have been "just" different enough to have made something work I reckon.
  • @Lexie I also have huge respect for Andy Powell. That kind of experiment could be interesting.

Having said that, I usually think (along with a certain Mr R Blackmore) that "one guitarist is enough for any band". Wishbone Ash were special in being able to have 2 working together; the magic of bands like Camel, Focus, Deep Purple was the interplay between the guitar and the other instruments. 
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Oh agreed Phil, I just felt that it would have made an interesting experiment, but as a one off. :)
  • Saw Camel a couple or more times in the seventies can't remember a thing about the gigs except I can See your house from here ! Must dig out my copy of snowgoose and remind myself
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Another 6th former from the 70s here. I saw the Snowgoose tour as well, pretty sure it was at the Mermaid Theatre in London but can't really remember. Camel were a great band but were, like Genesis, a little too "polite" for my tastes. I was getting into more intense music like the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Magma and King Crimson by this stage.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Saw Camel at Guildford Civic Hall in mid 70s.... jeez was a bit a trial to sit through TBA for a BeBop Deluxe/Doctors of Madness loving 17 year old...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>