Twang Corner

What's Hot

Comments

• One lady I feel who is largely responsible for dragging a bit of twang back in to the mainstream - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIDj0SVWeBU

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This thread is a right gold mine. +1s all over the place & new knowledge for me too.
    Alway's liked the Staples Singers since I heard them on Alexis Korner & always assumed it was a Fender Twin (or something); massive Magnatone resources on the web to trawl when I have time.

Great to see Link Wray.

Never heard that Teenage Fanclub song, you're right, the solo is magic. Not that keen a lot of what they do, but they can be absolutely brilliant like this & Gene Clark at the end of Thirteen.

Never heard of Little Barrie or Hook N' Pull Gang- excellent, will watch more later.

Actually never heard The Girls Aloud, song (was probably No1 for 10 weeks) surprisingly good.

More favourites from me (don't know how I've resisted The Cramps, probably because they need a whole thread)

Rosie Flores

Love this version, & her sound here, even better than the Ry Cooder version, which is very different. His theme for Southern Comfort is also a trem epic.

Flaming Stars

Great twang & the wee organ just makes it.

The Nomads.

Not exactly twangy but think it's still in the spirit.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited August 2013

Last Night The Moon Came Jon Hassell

Jon Hassell (Trumpet, Keyboard)
    Eivind Aarset (Guitar, Bass)
    Jan Bang (Live Sampling)
    Kheir-Eddine M’Kachiche (Violin)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Eivind Aarset Trio - Silk Worm

Eivind Aarset - Guitar, electronics
    Marius Reksjø - Bass
    Wetle Holte - Drums, loops

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    edited August 2013
    Historyisjunk
    More familiar with the Johnny Cash  version of Get Rhythm, got it on a Sun sessions Cd somewhere
    As you say we really need some Cramps on here

Cool as fuck.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    The Cramps :D.

Another big influence on me from about the same time... The Jesus And Mary Chain

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rpr & ICBM- with the motherload again. Strange, none of these bands seemed to come up back in "the other place". Maybe I missed it, but I never thought anyone was interested in this kind of stuff.

Old Cramps, Ivy before the-6120

More recently,
    Would really have liked a live vid of this, but it's stunning.

Really good cover. I like this, the George Thorogood version & the original equally.

This must have been the night Jools Holland had something good on & I missed it. Snakedriver live with a great solo.

Some old class, Robert Gordon & Link Wray

edited August 2013
    You can find great twang in some unexpected places in the mainstream... and not just the Ricky Martin/Britney/Girls Aloud stuff.

I woke up this morning with the intro to this in my head for some reason -

And continuing the US theme... one of the greatest guitar sounds ever recorded in my opinion:

Amazingly, Buck said in an interview that he didn't use the Rick on the record, he used a Les Paul! I think you can *just* tell on the last two chords, if you already know. Still one of the main reasons I own a Rick though!

And this, from one of Springsteen's most underrated and twangy albums...

I bought this album the day it came out and the next day I bought a Telecaster. Seriously :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Blondie + twang? Thought that would be Atomic.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    That too! But Union City Blue was the one I woke up with. It's a shame you don't always remember your dreams, or I'd know why... :)

ICBM said:
    That too! But Union City Blue was the one I woke up with. It's a shame you don't always remember your dreams, or I'd know why... :)
    I woke up this morning thinking about the Black Country poet Harry Harrison. I presumed he died years ago, which he did, but the anniversary of his death is in a couple of days. Had I had the dream in two days time - spooky.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    edited August 2013
    So much Twang! so much Calexico love!

Some more!

That's some of my favourite music, right there. Awesome sauce. Lets make a forum Spaghetti Western! I won't even have to change my name.

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited August 2013

My favourite bit of twang, I keep expecting to hear John Peel speak after the first couple of bars. Brings a tear it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpAoX6IxoFo

ROOG said:

My favourite bit of twang, I keep expecting to hear John Peel speak after the first couple of bars. Brings a tear it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpAoX6IxoFo

Can't do youtube from here but assuming that's Dick Dale with Let's Go Trippin'? IIRC was his first single and not that representative of what he did later - doesn't have the tremolo picking and it is a 12 bar, which is something he usually avoided even though they are used a lot in surf music. Great track though. If it isn't that number then clearly ignore all this!
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    When I think of twanging, I think of Helena Christiansen, I mean I think of the guitar in 'Wicked Game' by Chris Isaak

ROOG;23428" said:
    well, got that wrong! Guess I was more of a John Peel on radio 4 kinda guy.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited September 2013
    Cor! Some top twangling going on in here.

Los Straightjackets always make me chuckle. I read somewhere that they are actually The Rolling Stones doing music that I might actually like. Although I could've just dreamt that.

Anyway, here's some live Black Angels

• This was more twang in unlikely (well not that unlikely I suppose) places Which reminded me of this. Which took me to this (although minimal twang)