New Noise Makers

What's Hot
I wanted a synth and a drum machine. I have a huge love of hip hop and merging some aspects of it with rock/guitar (more Beck rather than Aerosmith with Run DMC). 
So I planned to buy a mininova and a korg volca beats/akai rhythm wolf. 

I spoke with @GavRichList and he mentioned a Roland TR8. Cheers mate, that just increased by budget by £250...
but its an 808 and a 909 for a fraction of the price of the originals and of my limited drum machine knowledge I knew an 808 was a) the shit and b) perfect for what I was after. 10 Minutes in PMT confirmed that. (excuse the poor picture)

I thought I wanted an Ultranova synth (after upgrading my search on the internet)
It sounded great on the demos and I liked that it had full size keys. 
It just didnt feel right to play, the screen driven menu was too fiddly and seemed to lack the interactive feel of a synth. It also felt pretty cheap and flimsy like it has been made from the inside of a milk tray box. 

So I played a fair few of the synths in store and I was gravitating towards the roland stuff. It just worked better for me and sounded great.

So I got one of these (poor picture again)

Roland JD xi. I really like it, it even has an analogue section and a vocoder for when I want to get my daft punk on. 

At the moment its all ambient and trance stuff that I am creating which unfortunately are 2 genres I am not a fan of really but once I have had some more practice hopefully I will get them working how I want them. 

and cheers @GavRichList the TR8 was totally off my radar but its brilliant and I can see it getting much use :-D
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Loving both of those - seriously jealous of the TR-8
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to have an 808 but flogged it and have been tempted by a TR8 for a while.  I had other things that covered the sound but missed the interactiveness.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • I love everything about this thread
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Wow and wow again. Amazing kit. Unfortunately I've invested in NI - Maschine Studio and Komplete Control otherwise I would be interested. Look forward to hearing some of your music @meltedbuzzbox

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • That TR8 is just epic. So much fun

as an added bonus I discovered I can use the JD xi as a multi effects unit for anything. 
    All kinds of synth'd up goodness has been happening. Today was a good day :-D
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    mmmmmmmmmmm.

nice :)