Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pedalboard Wiring Hassles vs Fractal FX8

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9574
So, with all that I'm currently learning on the FX8, I decided this afternoon to have a rewire of my pedal boards.

I have this recently arrived, stunning looking Salvage Custom. Maybe I fit the Gigrig G2 to it, and maybe use my Pedaltrain Metro 20 to house the EHX 45000 and Beat Buddy.

Lots of wiring, working out power supplies and requirements, velcro, wire, rewire, loop, set up... all with the usual hassles.

No sounds, some sounds, buzzing, rewire, swears, moods, strops...

THEN... stuff it... just run the 45000 and Beat Buddy after the FX8.

Stunning sounds, no issues, no hassle...

You know, right now I might be done with separate pedals for a wee while.

The FX8 is simply easier, less hassle and sounds mind blowing.

Anyone else just plain tired of the pain of it all ????

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Personally I like the hassle. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9574
    Deijavoo said:
    Really ???
    I've repeatedly used all seven of my favourite swear words today, and even added a couple of new ones...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2016
    Deijavoo said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI0MRyUFIXU

Same here though.  Been there and done that and ALWAYS find I'm more creative when I have to work  getting sounds and am forced to be more hands on.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    edited January 2016
    No, the fun is in the choice, planning and prep. No two pedalboards are the same, it's a very personal thing a pedalboard.

I completely see the temptation of the FX8 though,  but it's a different approach. I would spend all my time thinking there is some other great sound in there that needed exploring. With a pedalboard, yous makes your choices and then you, by default, limit your possibilities somewhat. 

I know myself and I know that to be creative I need to ultimately limit my options.
    Others get their creativity from having unlimited options.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Owning a reasonable size pedal board I can totally see the appeal in a multi fx.

Lugging my board to rehearsal is no fun and I am honestly starting to feel more and more that a drive is a drive, a delay is a delay etc etc
    I know there are differences but when you are in full flow you're not standing there noting the warmth of your analog delay over your digital delay etc. Its all about the music

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7809
    @Wazmeister so the helix didn't meet requirements or expectation then?

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    I still have a pedalboard for times where turning up with a multi-fx unit wouldn't be appropriate.

The FX8 sounds just as good, takes up less room, costs 1/2 the price and allows me to switch in multiple pedals at once.
    Many, many more gain options as well.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Deijavoo said:
    Really ???
    I've repeatedly used all seven of my favourite swear words today, and even added a couple of new ones...

Yeah man, suffering, art etc.... Yadda yadda yadda..
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    @Wazmeister I can't help with the wiring issues, but those Salvage Custom boards are stunning, have you got any pics?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • I too am tired of hassle but things like the FX8 are also way too complex for me these days.

Three or four simple pedals is all I need these days. Maybe in future I'll need more but if it needs special power requirements, a million cables etc then forget it.
    I too am tired of hassle but things like the FX8 are also way too complex for me these days.

Three or four simple pedals is all I need these days. Maybe in future I'll need more but if it needs special power requirements, a million cables etc then forget it.

Yep, I'm with you... Simple is better. Im not a tweaker but the FX8 is a simple joy to use. Ill post a basic video soon on how you can implement basic 'blocks' effects...
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    edited January 2016
    I stripped down and then built my board up again yesterday after practice and i found it fun.

Maybe i haven't done it as many times as you though?
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    mmmm I'm guessing there would be significantly less hasslehoff if the objective wasn't about making DIY Bob Bradshaw and Pete Cornish super perma boards on a budget.

Anyway what ya sellin? Rotobone? ;-)
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Waz I'm totally with you. It's been a Damascene conversion for me. Totally over the whole pedalboard thing (and I was very much under it until very recently). Helix/fx8 et al are there - or near enough - in terms of sounds and way ahead in terms of usability. I use the helix every night vs once in a blue moon for the old pedalboard.

Anyway, nothing worse than an ex-smoker ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
    edited February 2016
    @Wazmeister I see where you're coming from. I'm running 2 H9s, sometimes with a Timeline between them...and the relative lack of tangled cables (even running them all in stereo) is fantastic. It's not an FX8 but it's also not a pedalboard crammed with 10+ pedals.
    edited February 2016
    @lew - nah mate, you're getting me mixed up with some other people maybe...

Ive absolutely who idea who Bob is, and would never aim to emulate those obvious PC tones.

My whole search for tone has taken through lots of cash, forum time, import duties, hypes, myths, lies and a sprinkling of marketing bullshit. Joys , fun, friendship and this forum too. But maybe as I get a touch older, simplicity begins to win out.

For example, a Gigrig G2 simply plugged in sounds amazing. The buffer or whatever is in it is incredible. But man, there is so so much hassle, wiring, power supply issues etc etc to get there... Oh, and over £1100 worth of stuff to get you there BEFORE you add pedals.

FX8 plugged in, switched on, bingo.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11883
    I know this seems obvious but I need to ask...you have checked each cable upon making it with a multi meter before plugging it in right?

I personally find the whole puzzle of putting it together quite therapeutic, knowing I've cracked it on paper then doing it physically is very satisfying.
  • I know this seems obvious but I need to ask...you have checked each cable upon making it with a multi meter before plugging it in right?

I personally find the whole puzzle of putting it together quite therapeutic, knowing I've cracked it on paper then doing it physically is very satisfying.
    Exactly. My pint exactly - so much messing around.

Maybe I'm in a grumpy mood !!!