New geezer introducing myself.

What's Hot
Hi, I am the Silly Moustache, and I discovered you lot by accident.

Couldn't find an intro page so thought, as I am strictly an acoustic player,  I might as well make myself known here.

Old bloke, ex drummer (in the '60s/'70s) - turned to acoustic guitar after a dark eyed beauty promised all sort of lascivious delights if I drove her to Cambridge Folk Festival to see Tom Rush. I did, she did, but watching Mr Rush captivating the throng of youig hippies made me think about guitars for the first time.

Bought a "B&M" Jumbo new for £16, traded for an "Eagle" OM (?) then a Harmony Sovereign and started off in my first Acoustic trio - "A Boy And His Dog" - in West London - probably late '60s ...ish.

This time last year I was in a bluegrass band (Druthers Brothers) and a trio (Panhandle Conspiracy) and "Andrew Perry & Good Company. Currently only the last one is still going.

I run an Acoustic Music Club twice a month, which gives the remaining trio a chance to do two spots, before the talent goes on, and the occasional gig.

I'm primarily a singer, and flat-picker, (6 & 12 string) and can get by on Dobro square neck, and mandolin.

Got a YouTube channel called "Silly Moustache" - few gig vids, mainly me in the conservatory.

Always looking for another musical partnership in the south-east.

That's it, any questions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Welcome sir. Did you remember the £50 entrance fee? PM it to me please.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I recognised that name from the AGF!

Howdy, friend :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4205
    Nice to have another flatpicker and Collings fan around the place. Welcome!
  • Welcome to the forum Mr Moustache.
  • Yup Bristol; 86, but I'm looking for other forums because AGF has "banned" me for a week. No warning - no arguments - no reason - have no idea why.

Hi Lewy, tell me more about your guitar and your music.

Thanks Biglicks. 
    Yup Bristol; 86, but I'm looking for other forums because AGF has "banned" me for a week. No warning - no arguments - no reason - have no idea why.

Thanks Biglicks. 
    That's not good. It's a shame there's no acoustic-specific guitar forum that's UK based, the ones you do find have about 3 threads per week!
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4205
    edited February 2016

Nothing too exotic...a D1A. But it's perfect for me and I love the Collings sound, general ethos and customer service.

Musically - many years as a bottleneck/fingerpicker (www.lewiscohen.co.uk) but got bitten by the flatpicking bug a few years ago and haven't been interested in much else since! 
  • Hi Bristol, Generally speaking, the AGF is a pretty active forum. Lots of repeated themes of course,and newbies come on and ask same old questions - what strings, why are Bluechips so expensive etc.
    Maybe 95% US based folks and I do feel the need to remind them from time to time that it is an international forum - some there think that the world ends outside Nooyawk and LA. but also some very interesting folks. The "Mods" are pretty sensible so I can't understand this ban thing - over 5000 posts and no issues. Apparently I'm banned until 2.4.16 - which as they usually can't write dates right or drive on the left side - prolly means Thursday.

British Acoustic forum ? Yeah maybe. As I play Yankee guitars I'd prolly be banned there to!
    sillymoustache;958151" said:
    Hi Bristol, Generally speaking, the AGF is a pretty active forum. Lots of repeated themes of course,and newbies come on and ask same old questions - what strings, why are Bluechips so expensive etc.

Maybe 95% US based folks and I do feel the need to remind them from time to time that it is an international forum - some there think that the world ends outside Nooyawk and LA. but also some very interesting folks. The "Mods" are pretty sensible so I can't understand this ban thing - over 5000 posts and no issues. Apparently I'm banned until 2.4.16 - which as they usually can't write dates right or drive on the left side - prolly means Thursday.

British Acoustic forum ? Yeah maybe. As I play Yankee guitars I'd prolly be banned there to!
    Yeah I do like the AGF to be fair, though I wish there was a classifieds section for the UK that was even 10% as comprehensive! They certainly do well Stateside in terms of range and price of used guitars!

Odd to get banned like that with no warning/notification!
  • Hi, I think that the majority of moderators and users are American, and whilst they don't (can't?) limit it to Americans only, they don't really take much notice of Europeans or Asian folk.

I've seen e.g., Italian and French folk receive some poor reception due to their poor command of English, whereas on the Collings forum, there is often an American who can communicate in an alternative European language.

I doubt that they would be interested in a UK/European Classified section although I think it would be good for us. Of course you still have to pay to advertise.

I've just sold ther second guitar via E-Bay and they charge 10% now which I'm sure is more than it used to be.

When I work out how to use the Classifieds here I shall put a couple of things on.   As every forum has difernt rules, one has to be cautious nowadays.
  • Update on my banning - I back on AGF, had a dialogue with the moderator who did it. He didn't realise that he sent a warning AFTER banning me, and has reflected on his actions. He was vrey concerned at the way an "open mic" thread was going and took rather hasty action. He has kinda apologised.  All over, nothing to see here, move along.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So why are blue-chips so expensive?
  • And what's a blue chip :)
  • So why are blue-chips so expensive?
    Beeeecoz they are made out of a material now generally thought to be called "vespal" It was designed for bearings in complex machinery that has to be maintenance free. It is made in relatively small amounts and in limited shapes and sizes. The Goins family (who make Blue Chip picks" have a long established business called Blue Chip Machining who make these bearings (and stuff) for the space industry, military and such.

One of them probably plays guitar, and messed aroud with a piece of scrap and found that it's properties worked well for picking - it is very resistant to wear, has low contact friction, and can be shaped (with the proper tools), Having a sensible understanding of speed becels and thickness properties this goins guitar player,  knew how to make a very good plectrum.

Originally, I thought that they had a very neat business pan - i.e. create a market for low volume high value items which would mean that they wouldn't need a big admin, distribution deals, shipping centre, etc., to sel wholesale. Buyers would be individuals who would buy in small quantities. However, Vespal IS expensive and difficult to machine, so their margins are not as large as I suspected.

I resisted (sic) buying them for ages, foud one on ebay, realised the quality. Now each guitar has two. You will never need to buy another one as they will never wear out, and knowing how much you paid for them - you won't lose 'em!

• If I used picks I would def want to try one
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2016
    As 'Reader's Letters' go the opening one is almost very good with the exception of the fact I am still left wondering whether you ended up getting laid at the Cambridge Folk Festival or whether this should serve as a warning to others about misrepresentations made by dark haired beauties.  This is of particular interest to me as Donovan pulled exactly the same crap on me when he was trying to catch a lift to V Festival.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Great intro and I look forward to watching your videos
  • As 'Reader's Letters' go the opening one is almost very good with the exception of the fact I am still left wondering whether you ended up getting laid at the Cambridge Folk Festival or whether this should serve as a warning to others about misrepresentations made by dark haired beauties.  This is of particular interest to me as Donovan pulled exactly the same crap on me when he was trying to catch a lift to V Festival.
    Haha! as we went all the way from London to Cambridge and back again in the same day - no the lascivious promise wasn't fulfilled AT Cambridge. Also, on the way home I learned that the young beauty was not yet 16! (I was 19).  Strangely, her mum really liked me and asked me to "babysit" her the following weekend so she could have a mucky weekend in Brighton! Againb, I was honourable...but after her 16th birthday ..!!!!!
  • welcome aboard fella
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.