60s organ and/or Rhodes type sounds

What's Hot
I'm an out of the closet keys player, though generally classical with an interest only in a few types of modern keyboard type sounds. These sounds can mostly be exemplified by the Doors as a reference point:

60s Organ sounds, as heard all over the Doors records, eg Light My Fire, When the Music's Over, Alabama Song

Rhodes style piano, as heard on Riders on the Storm

I have a Microkorg synth, which do have sort of presets for organ and piano, though as it's a digital synth I think meant for dance music they understandably aren't meant to be authentic on these two sounds. With a bit if help from my G3 effects they improve through an amp or headphones but a few things are not ideal:

Organ - sounds the wrong side of cheesy, ie I know organ sounds can generally sound cheesy and that can be part of their charm if a little ironically, but there's definitely something not right about them and I don't understand synths enough to edit them

Piano - I'm not sure if they are touch sensitive, it doesn't matter for the organ as I could just use a volume pedal if needed, but for piano it's vital.

What else is out there that doesn't cost a bomb that would cover either of these sounds? Would probably try to sell the korg to fund it.

I tried the new Yamaha mini ones, they sounded quite nice (though only in a shop) but the keys were like a 5 year old's toy

Not keen on software ones as riding up my laptop to that kind of thing just complicates matters

Cheers all
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I use a roland vr09 out and about, which is a bit like a lower cost nord electro. It can do a Vox organ tone as well as hammond, but I don't really use that sound. It sounds ok in the mix, is very light which is handy, keyboard is ok for me for organ but obviously not great for piano - I can get by on it though. Sound quality very much depends on amplification available, particularly for acoustic piano
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Piano wise, Yamaha P-60 are pretty good bang for the buck at about £120 secondhand.
  • Ah I forgot to mention the size preference (though I know this probably means what I'd like doesn't exist lol), ideally it'd be something pretty small, I don't need that many octaves add I have a piano for the kind of music I'd need octaves for :)

I do have an old Yamaha module thing but the sounds on that once is finally got all the cables I needed were awful, sounded like an 80s TV theme tune
  • I think I'm asking for something impossible aren't i
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Yeah, I think the stuff less than 5 octave tends to be more synth focussed rather than retro keyboard
  • You're most likely right.

These did sound nice albeit in a shop, but the keys just felt horrible. The Microkorg ones aren't massive but feel much better to play.

Perhaps its a case of a controller keyboard into them?
  • sell you a cheap Hammond?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Lol I don't have a spare room for that unfortunately dude
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    The Yamaha and something like this is probably the best bet
    Stop crying, start buying
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Are you intent on hardware? If it were possible to use a laptop and your Microkorg you would find some pretty commendable organ and E Piano models kicking about.

My personal favourites freebies at the minute are the Martinic Combo V and Combo F organs 9based on Vox and Farfisa organs) and Mr Ray 22 electric piano. 

personally I don't think the Microkorg Vox and Electric Piano sounds are too bad in a mix - although the Vox does need a little of the top taken off it.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Do you have an iPad?
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    As others have said, loads of free VSTs out there.

If you need it for performance and don't want to trust to computer tech, why not pick up a used/cheap sound module? You just use the midi out from the microKorg to play the module's internal sounds. You will need some kind of cheap mixer if you want to easily use it in parallel with the analog sounds of the Korg though. 

I have an old Roland JV1080 that has loads of great sounds and you seem to be able to buy them for about thruppence these days. Doubtless there are loads of other units out there that can do the basic sounds you need.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Nord Electro would probably be the best option.

Nord are onto version 5 of this, so you should be able to pick up a II relatively cheaply.
  • How about an Emu Proteus 2000 module. Excellent piano, e-piano and organ sounds, plus plenty more. Hook up via midi and you're good to go.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • The Nords are very good for this kind of thing, but the Korg SV1 also does a pretty good job also; tis good enough Adam Holzman for touring with Steven Wilson. On a somewhat cheaper route if you don't mind making use of software I'm a big fan of the Electric Instruments pack for Pianoteq, have lost hours in the past with the Rhodes sounds particularly.
  • Microkorg's are a great introductory synth - but the piano and organ sounds are not the best.

If money isn't an issue a Nord will do everything you want and more. 

A Roland Juno Di ha an enormous range of keys and piano sounds (as well as strings, synths, percussion etc). Its under £500 now. 

Have you considered software? I don't know what your situation is - if you use a MAC you could get logic free - but a Midi controller keyboard (decent one less than £250) and that will open worlds of keys, organs and everything else you can dream of!!!! 

I am not sure what the PC equivalent is but I am sure there is one....
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    I don't really want software stuff to be honest because I'll only ever be able to use them whilst I'm using a laptop, no use to me as soon as I step out of my spare room. I also seem to have to set up my computer for at least an hour every time I want to use it because of stupid windows stuff. On balance though, my old Mac used to take longer than that :)

I was already thinking about this thread this weekend actually and decided to flog the Microkorg as I can't even use a sustain pedal with it and the piano/organ sounds are already not doing much for me. I will look at some of the options above but it I an finding it is a fine line between nice sounds for these instruments and cheesy awful sounds. The Yamaha sound module I have at present is awful sounding, I can't remember the model but I think it is something like cp50
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    I think to be honest I'm asking for something impossible, or at least for something that there's no market for it to exist
  • minimoogminimoog Frets: 128
    edited March 2016
    I think to be honest I'm asking for something impossible, or at least for something that there's no market for it to exist
    Not at all. There are any amount of keys players who need 'standard' piano and organ sounds, especially for gigging, and they are well catered for. You've already had a couple of good answers - e.g. a cheap rompler module such as something from Roland's JV series together with a controller keyboard which can be a synth or a 'dumb' midi keyboard. You can get whatever fits your size and budget requirements. Or get a Nord if you're flush.

You could also consider a workstation keyboard of some sort like an Yamaha EX5 (or something more modern) or Roland or Korg equivalents,. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Forgot to mention: The Emu PK-6 is the keyboard version of the Proteus 2000. Full-size keys and slots to take additional sample ROM cards. I think you can get the PK-6 s/h for £200-250.
    I remember being particularly impressed with the Vox and Farfisa sounds on the P2K.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....