Mandolin - awkward as hell?

What's Hot
So I've been called on to play some mandolin in a theatre production. I used to have one, an Ozark, but I never got on with it, just found it too awkward and fiddly (even though I don't have any problems playing uke). So I treated myself to a new one, £350, so I figured it'd be a decent instrument, but I can't get past the effort it takes to fret notes and get them to be musical. It has what appears to be a nice low action, so is mandolin just bleedin' awkward to play? Doesn't help that the music I'm playing is in some pretty terrible keys.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    I've never been able to get on with them either, although I find both ukes and 12-string guitars fine. I don't know why either - and I've owned a couple of nice ones too so it definitely wasn't a problem with the action or anything like that.

Sorry, not helpful probably :).

After this and the pedal steel thread, I think I'm off to start one about banjos… I can't play those either, even the 6-string 'guitar' ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a tricky one.  I play a lot of mandolin and have done for years.  I tried to think of some constructive advice to your problem but it's kind of a non-specific problem because currently you just can't get on with it, which one way or another you'll have to get over.  The only thing I have noticed is that people moving from classical (or at least who have learned classical or fingerstyle) find it easier to those who don't because much of you time is spent on the your fingertips, whereas at lot of non-classical players develop a more angled finger technique in the left hand that creates issues in the tight space of a mando.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    I had a Crafter electro-acoustic mandolin (which I sold to a mate and then borrowed off him about six months ago, so it's here at the moment) which I bought to give me something to do in a folk band when not playing bass (one of the other members of the band played quite a bit of bass but couldn't play and sing at the same time so if he was providing harmonies he'd play guitar and I'd play bass).

It did my head in to begin with so I re-fretted it (up to the 12th fret) with bigger fret wire (Stewmac #0148) and it made it much easier for me.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • colskicolski Frets: 20
    Good answers - I guess I'm not alone!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited February 2016
    They do get a bit of getting used to.  The strings are very high tension compared with most other instruments and are double to boot in a very small space.  I think @randomhandclaps is right - it requires fingertips for the precision and pressed hard.  

It's a lot easier once the hardened bits on your fingers are in the right place so there is a pain barrier to get through...worth it in the end, though.
  • i bought one about 4 yrs ago and took to it like a duck to water. within a couple of days i was confidently bashing out about 5 songs and sounding not too bad. unfortunately since then i havnt made any more progress or learnt any new stuff.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928

It's maybe worth taking it to a tech to have the nut looked at and possibly recut. Mandolins aren't quite the same as guitars, in that you won't get a nice player for peanuts. At £350 it's likely it will need a setup before it can be used to it's potential. What is it, if you don't mind me asking?

A good gauge of the need for a setup is the following; put a capo on the first fret. Try playing a few chords. If you find it easier, then the nut needs attention.

Ultimately yes, the mando is a little different from a guitar in terms of playability, it's less forgiving with accuracy and finger strength, but a good setup will give you the best chance possible.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Cheap mandolins are worse than cheap guitars IMO
    I have a middle of the road one. An Ortega which I had to do tons of work on to make it playable
    And I spent 799 on a Jimmy moon one which is just wonderful

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • colskicolski Frets: 20
    I'd expect decent playability from a £350 instrument, no matter what it was. Toying with the idea of using my Bouzouki capoed, will give me pretty much the sound I'm after. With more forgiving string spacing!
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    colski said:
    Doesn't help that the music I'm playing is in some pretty terrible keys.
    That could be part of it. Most of the tunes I played on mandolin were the standard trad keys - mostly in G or D with the odd excursion into Em or Am. Having the open strings involved in the hammer-ons and pull-offs helps a lot.

Maybe the capoed zouk will have the added advantage of enabling you to put the material into more friendly fingering patterns? I've seen a few players shifting capo positions mid piece to accomplish this.

Like the others have said, fret size makes a difference. I have an F5 style mando with big wire and a lovely sounding A-style that I had handmade by a US builder. The A-style is much harder to play because of the stupid, tiny frets, despite me ordering it with big ones. Needless to say it's become the crowning glory of my comically priced paperweight, ashtray, doorstop collection.  

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Try what I did which is to start with the Mandola.
    Much easier to play and the same technique.
    Once you are up to speed you will find it easier to switch to the mandolin.

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    octatonic said:
    Try what I did which is to start with the Mandola.
    Much easier to play and the same technique.
    Once you are up to speed you will find it easier to switch to the mandolin.

or get an Octave Mandolin