Show and Tell Thread - Lets hear your bands!

What's Hot
olsols Frets: 10
Evening.

I don't know if there is another thread just like this hidden away - if there is then i do apologise.

This thread is all about the bands you play in. It doesn't matter what genre you are, how "big" you are, what you play or how many people are in your band, it is just about shouting about the music that you make and hopefully gaining a couple of new fans or listeners along the way.

The format is simple:

1. First of all - what is your band called
2. If you had to pigeonhole your music into a genre, what would it be? - who would you say you appeal to?
3. How did you come to be a band? How did the band form?
4. Give us a link to your myspace / facebook / myface / spacebook / bebo accounts so we can give your music a listen or even a like.

Lets get sharing :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olsols Frets: 10
    edited August 2013
    To get the ball rolling...

My band is called Armed With Books.

We generally refer to ourselves as Melodic Hardcore / Alternative.

We are a 3 piece band and are all pretty much best mates. 

We played in a 5 piece band beforehand, this band was the phoenix from the ashes of the old band (I tried to find a cheesier terminology and failed - I apologise). We are all about having a laugh and enjoying playing the music we love.

We are on facebook at www.facebook.com/armedwithbooks where we are slowly building up a listener base, but these things take a lot of time. We are not to everyone's tastes, but if you dig it then feel free to drop us a like or share with someone who would dig it :)

edit - we also just put up a website with a free EP download. www.armedwithbooks.co.uk

Now that's done - lets see some more bands!

• Okies!

Our band is called Dexeter. Named after the surname of our vocalist Deeanne Dexeter.

2. If you had to pigeonhole your music into a genre, what would it be? - who would you say you appeal to?
     Hmmm. Country rock crossover. Appeals to fairly mainstream pop audience.

Evolved from a metal band the drummer and I were both in. We wanted something more chilled out, the bassist and other guitarist wanted to rage harder. So Jim and I moved on and starting jamming something more Counting Crows. Violins, slide, dobro and piano later we had moved towards something more country.

4. Give us a link to your myspace / facebook / myface / spacebook / bebo accounts so we can give your music a listen or even a like.

cheers!

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    1: My band is called Melivora - impossibly nerdy this, but it's part of the Latin name for the honey badger. To be fair, the honey badger is a cool animal to be named after - basically an impossibly pissed off weasel with balls of steel - they've been known to fight lions for their prey. And they stick their heads into bees' nests and eat all the honey while the bees sting the shit out of them. So yeah, they're pretty cool little beasts, and the Latin name is Mellivora capensis. We spell it with a single L instead, just because.

2: Our biggest influences are the Smashing Pumpkins, Devin Townsend, Radiohead and Soundgarden, so we basically sound quite grungey and laid-back most of the time. We really really like our fuzz pedals, but we also use clean guitars quite a lot.

3: We're still forming really - we don't have a singer yet! The band was started by the other guitarist and the drummer, who met at a local college. The drummer is an old friend of mine, whom I've been playing music with for several years on and off, and they wanted a lead guitarist, so he asked me. We then added a bass player, and here we are! Now we need vocals...

4: We do have a Facebook page with a few likes, but we're not really going to be pushing it until there's some recordings up there. We do have a YouTube account. Have a gander: http://www.youtube.com/user/MelivoraMusic

On there, you'll find a couple of videos of our first (and so far only) gig - they were taken on an iPhone so are a little crackly, but they show us playing our stuff pretty well (albeit instrumentally), to what was quite a receptive audience! 
    There's a studio recording up there too - it's two tracks in one video. The first track is one written before I joined, I only played a little guitar part on it. It's a little different to most of our other stuff - quite electronic, with lots of overdubbed guitars (recorded with an EBow). The second track, "Swoon", is a demo, written and recorded entirely by our drummer, James - he's one talented bastard. Not content with being the best drummer I've ever played with, he also played all the guitar and bass tracks on it.

EDIT: Also, here's a video of me playing through my solos (and various other guitar parts) for one of our tracks, "Hole".

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    1. What is your band called: Prion Son

The name is complicated and is a refernce to the story that runs through all of our songs. If you look at our early youtube videos you can find a section where our singer "Explains" it. Anyway in all the gigs we've played I've seen it spelled correctly on listings about twice :D

2. If you had to pigeonhole your music into a genre, what would it be?

It's kinda proggy rock with lots of odd meter sections. Think along the lines of tool with hints of mastodon / opeth. But then we've got a few songs that are just straight out grunge tracks. I dunno..you tell me what genre we are cos I'd love to know..definitely some variety of metal.

The singer used to work at the same place as my wife and we wrote a few tracks together. He then finished his uni course and ended up working at the same place as me. At which point we put the band together.

Here's a good video giving a taste of what we're about:

And a very early demo of one of the tracks from the album we're working on:

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    And I get to play again cos Im in 2 bands..this time my drumming band:

Creators Mastertape, named after the Porcupine Tree song of the same name.

Post-rock with touches of metal

I answered a drummer wanted ad, again at my workplace. Weirdly enough we might now be getting the singer from my other band's, second band's bass player to join this lineup...weird huh?

And here's a video of me drumming live:

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    I'm not in a band but I do various bits and pieces on the odd song - here's some solo work on Jonathan Stanford's "Mr. Friday Night". http://www.reverbnation.com/jonathanstanford/song/14509682-mr-friday-night He's releasing another single on The 25th August called "Don't Say Goodbye", with a stonker of a solo in it! :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited August 2013
    Your link's not working Polarity. Edit: oh yes it is. Great stuff! Especially black the sky - wow! And BHR I love that solo!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    viz said:
    Your link's not working Polarity. Edit: oh yes it is. Great stuff! Especially black the sky - wow! And BHR I love that solo!
    Thanks!

The first one (over the choppy, sort-of breakdown riff) was improvised off the cuff in the studio, then I learned it. The second (longer) solo was planned out - I think it does sound a little more "composed". I don't like to blow me own trumpet, but I am pretty pleased with how it turned out. Best solo I've written in a song before, certainly (although that doesn't say much).
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • 1) We're called SmallTown

2) We do Modern Country Rock covers

3) Came together on JoinMyBand!

(scroll down for some live vids...studio demo coming shortly)
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    I'll play!

1. What is your band called? 
    Under A Banner

I suppose it would be Alternative-Folk-Rock.  Generally we appeal to older, slightly folky people. The music is very focused on the lyrics.

Got asked to fill in for one gig, with the payment offer of £10 and free dinner - didn't get my dinner but joined permanently!

Links are all in my signature, but here's the video for our first single: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suovkDLqHf0
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Mr Kettle - I can't see the videos on your fb page, am I being thick? Gulliver that song and vid are absolutely brilliant. Just played it and had to write that, now going back to play it again. And that little chap, Isaac is it?, is so cute! I love the way he sings along, especially in the last verse. Forumites, watch this video! Reminds me of the best parts of NMA.
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
    Hi Adam
    Love the video

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3247
    edited August 2013
    @viz: I just checked and they're public vids...posted on 22nd May and 9th June :-S

I'll try and embed one here...hmmm, embedding doesn't work...here's a direct link:
    Will try on the PC instead of the phone, thanks!
  • Flatland boogie band Me and singer met in my old shop and we formed a country band, but with lineup changes we ended up more bluesy. Sorta rhythm and blues with a touch of country soul. We are on FB twitter and YouTube this is a regular of live set.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    edited August 2013
    1 - Soaker

2 - Probably "heavy rock". We've only been together 3 weeks, so it's a bit early to tell, but that's what I'm aiming for.

3 - I quit my previous band at the beginning of the year for...many reasons, including that my wife had just had serious spinal surgery and I couldn't continue putting all my spare time into the band. I decided to start writing and recording with the idea of just seeing what came out rather than put a band together...so I started the soul-sucking search for a singer to collaborate with. Found one, and then randomly had a drummer, bassist and guitarist get in touch within the following week. Boom! BAND!

4 - Nothing yet; we're learning the lessons from the previous band and not promoting anything until we're gig-ready and have material recorded. I refuse to ask people to "Like" us until we've got something for them to like. However, in the spirit of the thread...here's one of the songs we've written so far (mp3 download - camera mic, so needs to be loud on headphones) - be gentle, it was only from the second session ;)
    <space for hire>
  • 1. First of all - what is your band called
    Hedge Gods

Acoustic dance rhythms with hiphop beats/jazzy tendencies. No vocals. Appeal to drunk people, and for some reason, bar staff.

We've all known each other for many years but never quite played together until recently. It was founded on drum and bass rhythms, with me brought in to wibble over the top. I was forced to buy a proper acoustic guitar, after 25 years of electric. The band is literally built on "musical differences", but it all seems to work out!

Facebook
    Soundcloud

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Sister E and The Filthy Lounge Band

Soul and funk covers with an emphasis on more modern material.

I had a call out of the blue from the bass player as a result of a forming bands profile I'd created and forgotten about a year earlier.

This is our demo sampler:

That is well grooveh monx.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    viz said:
    That is well grooveh monx.
    Cheers mr Viz sir. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom