NGD! Rory Gallagher fans enter here....

What's Hot

Comments

• Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited December 2013
    Rocker said:
    At the risk of being pedantic, I understand that Fender have copyright on the words 'Strat' and 'Stratocaster'.  Therefore only Fender, and presumably Squier, can use the word 'Strat' to describe their guitar.  Therefore a partscaster cannot be called a 'Strat' even if it is looks like/plays/sounds like a Fender Strat!  Some companies get round this by describing their guitar as S shaped. I don't know how much of the guitar needs to be built from Fender supplied parts to meet the requirements [to be legally called a Strat], I seem to recall a thread discussing this question in the past few months.
    It is a genuine Fender body and neck on this one in particular though... So undoubtedly it is a Stratocaster.

You're right in what your saying as it's a licensing thing.I reckon the use of 'Stratocaster' and not 'Strat' would be restricted if it's none Fender licensed parts. From what I understand, Fender are pretty cool about other companies using it's name though...

**Edit** maybe 'Strat' - not sure on that!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I recognise this and it was awesome I only sold it because I took it in exchange and already had a modded Strat I love.

It was a tough one to let go of.

Sounded great through any amp I stuck it through and the IT bare knuckles sounded great. 

Shame it never stuck for Cathan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gave my Irish Tours a run out last night. They are awesome for solo and lead work, but IMO they don't do rhythm - or maybe it's just me.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • johnnyurq said:
    I recognise this and it was awesome I only sold it because I took it in exchange and already had a modded Strat I love.

Sounded great through any amp I stuck it through and the IT bare knuckles sounded great. 

I wasn't aware it was yours! All I can say is 'Thank You'! It's a beast! Was it you who modded it?
  • Gave my Irish Tours a run out last night. They are awesome for solo and lead work, but IMO they don't do rhythm - or maybe it's just me.
    The lead sounds are awesome with it. I like positions 2 and 4! As for the rhythm - I think they do a pretty good basic funk rhythm. Got quite a lot of bite to them so great for the pushed Rory sound as well. Not really tried much else rhythm based yet.
    The lead sounds are awesome with it. I like positions 2 and 4! As for the rhythm - I think they do a pretty good basic funk rhythm. Got quite a lot of bite to them so great for the pushed Rory sound as well. Not really tried much else rhythm based yet.
    They may be a little scooped, which is why 2&4 are so deliciously Hendrixy and funk works well. But that makes them a bit spiky for rhythm work ? Or it may be the guitar - I have a similar problem with my SSH Slowhands + Black Dog.  The US Std with Mother's Milks is however a lovely rhythm guitar.  
    Panama_Jack666;103429" said:
    johnnyurq said:

I wasn't aware it was yours! All I can say is 'Thank You'! It's a beast! Was it you who modded it?
    I would love to be able to take the credit @Panama_Jack666 but it was my friend who I traded with wot done it. He spent a fortune on getting it the way he wanted. :)

He put expensive oil in paper caps on and I believe high quality pots. The Callahan block added zing and the Irish Tours are great, especially the bridge which was as good as I have ever heard on a Strat.

The underlying CP spec was a great starting pint for modding in my view.

Shame if things were different I would not have let it go. I hope it works out for you and becomes a keeper.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Cool guitar.. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

They may be a little scooped, which is why 2&4 are so deliciously Hendrixy and funk works well. But that makes them a bit spiky for rhythm work ? Or it may be the guitar - I have a similar problem with my SSH Slowhands + Black Dog.  The US Std with Mother's Milks is however a lovely rhythm guitar.  
    Yeah, hit the nail on the head with 'spiky'. They're quite harsh but that's what I like about them. Really good for sparkly cleans!
  • johnnyurq said:
    Panama_Jack666;103429" said:
    johnnyurq said:

I would love to be able to take the credit @Panama_Jack666 but it was my friend who I traded with wot done it. He spent a fortune on getting it the way he wanted. :)

He put expensive oil in paper caps on and I believe high quality pots. The Callahan block added zing and the Irish Tours are great, especially the bridge which was as good as I have ever heard on a Strat.

The underlying CP spec was a great starting pint for modding in my view.

Shame if things were different I would not have let it go. I hope it works out for you and becomes a keeper.
    He's done a great job on it! I imagine a fair bit of cash was spent on it. The relic'ing job is quite good as well, did he do that?

The only thing that's letting it down is the neck that I've put on it! I'll be sorting that out at the earliest opportunity!
  • Catthan said:
    Happy NGD buddy,
    she sure looks lovely and I'm very glad you like her!

Enjoy her in good health and play the tits out of her!

Atb,

Cheers dude :)
    edited December 2013
    Panama_Jack666;103684" said:

He's done a great job on it! I imagine a fair bit of cash was spent on it. The relic'ing job is quite good as well, did he do that?

The only thing that's letting it down is the neck that I've put on it! I'll be sorting that out at the earliest opportunity!
    Yes he did the relic'ing job himself and did a great job in my opinion. He spent I think £350 to £400 on top of the guitars price and a pro setup was included in that.

This was the second CP Strat I owned and I really like both a lot, they felt great for my hands neck wise but of course YMMV.

I prefer a maple board though and if had it had a maple board and I didn't need to raise cash I would definitely have kept it.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    edited December 2013
    Are the Irish Tours voiced to sound like an early sixties Strat going through a Hawk treble booster?

Or are they supposed to sound like Rory's pickups before the booster?

If it's the former, aren't they something of a one-trick-pony? Nice trick, all the same - I love Rory's tone, but I'd need another Strat to get more traditional Strat-like tones.

Cool guitar, by the way. I have a CP Strat too, they're great for the money. I'd like to try these upgrades on mine, particularly the steel block.

• Saw Rory many times , IOW 1970 with Taste ,Roundhouse 1972 Reading Festival, Sheffield City Hall ,Sheffield Poly and others

I can`t bring to mind!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    The body and neck look great together. Keep them. A new neck will look crap in my opinion. A refret will cost about the same as a reasonable quality neck and cheaper than a Warmoth. 
  • Wolfetone said:
    The body and neck look great together. Keep them. A new neck will look crap in my opinion. A refret will cost about the same as a reasonable quality neck and cheaper than a Warmoth. 
    Yeah, been considering keeping this neck, my only gripe with it is it's a C shape and I'm more of a D shape kinda guy. It's definitely getting a refret in the future and will stay on this or go back to it's original body. Will see how I get on with it in the mean time!
  • Saw Rory many times , IOW 1970 with Taste ,Roundhouse 1972 Reading Festival, Sheffield City Hall ,Sheffield Poly and others

I can`t bring to mind!

I'm not jealous at all...

:(

OK, I'm jealous!
  • As promised...

May I also take this moment to apologise. It's not perfect but it'll do for now! The tone was quite close in the room but my terrible mic'ing skills didn't capture that!

Feedback appreciated!
  • Not bad. How about a shot at Same Old Story ?-)
  • Fusionista;106491" said:
    Not bad. How about a shot at Same Old Story ?-)
    You have good 'taste'. Ha! Geddit?! Shit jokes aside, I reckon I could get that uploaded in the week ;)