AMT Pangaea CP-100

Hello,

I've been reading up on how I can upgrade my stereo rig at home to do silent playing/recording.

Has anyone tried the AMT Pangaea CP-100?

I've got amps with speaker outs - laney cub 10 and a tubemeister 5. I understand that I'll need some sort of cab sim and load box to allow output to my mixer.

I've had a look at a couple of solutions including two notes and login espi but the one that seems best for me is the AMT PANGAEA CP-100 IR cab sim together with a Palmer plb2x8 loadbox.

But.. I can't find much online in terms of reviews for the Cp-100 and youtube vids are nearly all metal - I tend to play softer stuff focusing on dynamics. One vid I found () has some clean bits in the second half which sound pretty decent.

Any thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I can't help you with your specific question but I'm interested in this.

I also have a stereo DI'd setup but the way I go about it is totally analogue using bits of kit I've accrued over the years. I use a pre-amp feed from a Blackstar HT-5 head - more accurately the stereo output from the delays in it's fx loop - which then feeds into a pair of Award-Session pre-amps (JD-10 and MB-10, both have analogue speaker emulation), a Drawmer stereo compressor and then into a couple of desk channels, with a bit of eq and reverb (from a Lexicon rack unit) added at the desk.
  • @John_A has/had one so is a good man to ask.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Hi all, the CP-100 is a great bit of kit, basically it comes loaded with a pile of IRs but you can put your own in there too. It sounds identical to if you used the same IRs in recording software so basically anything with a preamp out, or a direct out from a load box will sound great. It has a load of advanced functions for post EQ but I never use them, I just use a small selection of IRs straight in to the desk.

Basically it's the cheapest hardware IR player out there, sounds fantastic for all styles, and has a direct out too so you can still use a cab with it if you want. Any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer

• longilongi Frets: 95
    I've got one but I haven't had the time to use it yet. Bloody children!
  • Thanks for the replies all.

@steamabacus thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking at the IR way as it gives me more flexibility.

@John_A thanks for the feedback. I'm looking to connect it up to a loadbox so it sounds perfect. Really surprised that I had to dig around a lot to find out about it.

I'll probably get the kit soon and upload some sample clips when I get a chance.
  • @John_A I'm sure you already know this but a lot of the AMT content on YouTube is non English language people playing jazz metal fusion type stuff ( although I don't know that I've noticed a cat so heavily featured in one before). A few homespun clips of more of the kit would be a good thing. :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I don't really have any affiliation with AMT, their UK distributor is a member here though.  I think I've just bought so much off them thst people think I work for them :)  If I ever get any time I'll put some clips up though.  Thing is it's just an IR player, so the clips would sound exactly the same as any other IR player, software or hardware.  It's the size of the thing (it's tiny), and the price  (it's relatively cheap) that sold it for me.
  • Sorry @John_A I'm conflating things. @AMT_Electronics is a member here so I'll redirect my comments about the YouTube content at him :\">
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    No worries, happy to put something up when I get the time :)
  • John_A said:
    I don't really have any affiliation with AMT, their UK distributor is a member here though.  I think I've just bought so much off them thst people think I work for them :)  If I ever get any time I'll put some clips up though.  Thing is it's just an IR player, so the clips would sound exactly the same as any other IR player, software or hardware.  It's the size of the thing (it's tiny), and the price  (it's relatively cheap) that sold it for me.
    One question for you John: I recently purchased a Pangaea and I find it very noisy. Is your experience the same?
    No I didn't find it noisy at all
  • mytt88mytt88 Frets: 0
    Does anyone have experience creating impulse responses?

I am trying to EQ match from isolated guitar tracks.

I think I am able to do it apart from not being able to create the correct file type compatible with my AMT Pangea and believe the stumbling block is that the pangea unit only accepts "IR file’s type: wav, 24-bits, 48kS/sec Latency: 1.2msec IR file truncation: 20.5msec" I'm not really sure what that means. 

The steps I use are to load the isolated guitar track and use Isotope ozone 7 eq match feature as reference audio then play my guitar signal into and match with the target audio. Under matched curve I put smoothing to 0% and amount to 100%. 

Next step I use voxengo deconvolver to generate a test tone 24 bit 44100 (48100 is not an option) sample rate mono channel and duration to 20.5 click generated and save. then i open my daw place this file into the tone matched track. then i highlight the time and click render change sample rate to 48100hz. Then i place the original generated signal into deconvolver then locate the rendered signal a d click generate. when i load op the pangea the ir is not selectable under the CS block on the unit. 
    Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks
  • Not tried myself but they have this advice:

Some tips to convert IRs’ files:

IRs, which can be loaded in Pangaea CP-100, have to have the next format:
    48kS/sec 24 bit Mono.

But sometimes the file header contains too many information
    which even Windows can’t always interpret correctly.

So, maybe there are many ways to make the correct format to fit Pangaea,
    but we could recommend the next:
    1. Open two files in CoolEdit (or Adobe Audition). First file -the file you want to convert, the second –some working from Pangaea preloaded files.
    2. Select the first file and make Copy.
    3. Select the second file (working one from Pangaea) and make Paste.
    4. Save the file (save as) with a new desired name and a path.

The work is done!!!