Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Show your Bicycles.....

What's Hot

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Anyone else keep riding through the cold/wet weather?

I've a new saddle fitted to my Canyon, a Fizik Antares R3 (they fit the Antares R5 as stock on the Ultimate so figured it should be a good match) as I found the Alliante VS uncomfortable when riding hard in the drops.

The Alliante is now on the B'TWIN, and seems to match the more upright position well.
    My idea was to keep it as a "winter training" bike, but I'm finding the triple chainring annoying and the long drop rim brakes frankly terrifying in the wet, even with pretty aggressive pads/cartridges.

The options are:

-Keep the B'TWIN and accept the annoying triple (I never use the middle chainring anyway) and terrifying braking. Maybe get some Swisstop Green cartridges to help the braking a little. Total cost £20

-Keep the B'TWIN and upgrade the brakes (options for long drop brakes are limited, basically the only decent upgrade would be Shimano R650s which are allegedly Ultegra level but near £80 for a pair), and maybe eventually upgrade the groupset to Tiagra or 105 (again this would cost about £240 minimum but I might be able to sell the brakes to get a little back). Total cost in the long run £300-400 depending on whether I go for Tiagra or 105.

-Sell the B'TWIN and get something with hydraulic discs. Basically this will cost about £850, minus whatever I'd get for the bike (likely about £250) and the Fizik saddle (probably about £40), so in the region of about£550.

I've seen a Cube Attain SL Disc 2016 (105 and hydraulic discs) on clearance at £830 which is seriously tempting.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    N+1.
    Don't have space for N+1 unfortunately (if I did it would probably be a hardtail 29er) but yeah a new bike is definitely part of the appeal
    Then I'd sell the BTwin and get the Cube. It's probably not worth the hassle if you can get a bike with the spec you want rather than spend money x hours upgrading.

ill be getting a sub-9kg 105 equipped something or other. I've done so much investigating it's ridiculous. Currently down to an Eastway Emitter R3, Felt F5, Orbea H30 or an alloy Colnago!  Depends on stock levels in late December. I'm also going to get some Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels. 
    The only bike shops round here are Decathlon and Halfords, then there's a LBS that does Specialized and one that does Giant and that's about it, so it's hard to try anything in person and you end up mostly buying on specs/reviews online and hoping it'll be good. 

You're probably right, my only reservation about the Cube is that the BTwin has a pannier rack fitted which I use on the odd occasion I commute on the bike, which can't fit on the Cube.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    strtdv said:

I've a new saddle fitted to my Canyon, a Fizik Antares R3 (they fit the Antares R5 as stock on the Ultimate so figured it should be a good match) as I found the Alliante VS uncomfortable when riding hard in the drops.

The Alliante is now on the B'TWIN, and seems to match the more upright position well.
    My idea was to keep it as a "winter training" bike, but I'm finding the triple chainring annoying and the long drop rim brakes frankly terrifying in the wet, even with pretty aggressive pads/cartridges.

The options are:

-Keep the B'TWIN and accept the annoying triple (I never use the middle chainring anyway) and terrifying braking. Maybe get some Swisstop Green cartridges to help the braking a little. Total cost £20

-Keep the B'TWIN and upgrade the brakes (options for long drop brakes are limited, basically the only decent upgrade would be Shimano R650s which are allegedly Ultegra level but near £80 for a pair), and maybe eventually upgrade the groupset to Tiagra or 105 (again this would cost about £240 minimum but I might be able to sell the brakes to get a little back). Total cost in the long run £300-400 depending on whether I go for Tiagra or 105.

-Sell the B'TWIN and get something with hydraulic discs. Basically this will cost about £850, minus whatever I'd get for the bike (likely about £250) and the Fizik saddle (probably about £40), so in the region of about£550.

I've seen a Cube Attain SL Disc 2016 (105 and hydraulic discs) on clearance at £830 which is seriously tempting.
    The newest blue Swissstop pads offer great braking performance in crap weather. I've got them fitted to my alloy and my carbon bike, which have 105 and Ultegra 11 spd gruppos and the braking has improved vastly.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    strtdv said:

Yep, I ride to/from work everyday all through the year - rain, shine, wind, hail, snow, ice etc. ~90miles a week.
    Tbh I love it and there's a good sense of satisfaction when you beat what the elements are trying to throw at you.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    I need to get back on it. It's probably quicker for me to get to work on my bike now. Took me 40 mins this morning, supposed to be 35 mins by bike.
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    I've got a Kinesis 4s for my winter bike which has long drop brakes on it. I built it up with trp brakes which are supposed to be the best long drop brakes you can get but the braking was still a bit sketchy.  Then put Swiss stop pads on and it's much much better.
    edited October 2016
    Found the "perfect" bike on Cycle to Work...

GT Grade Alu X.

Sram Rival 1x11, flared drop bars, Enduro-Road geometry, so gravel/road bike, clearance for 38c tyres and only 8.6kg.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/Bicyles/F7344B06-229B-4724-BAB1-05648ECFB3E5_zpsrguijen0.jpg
    edited October 2016
    Great spec bike there. I reckon by the end of next year SRAM could well have made the change to flatmount brakes as standard though as that seems to be where frame manufacturers are going with it. Still has the advantage over Shimano of having a clutch in the rear mech though.

You should also check out the Pinnacle Arkose X. Very similar idea, uses Shimano Deore rear mech and costs £900. Doesn't have the gear range of the Rival 1 though.

Here's the Cube I'm lusting after, currently on clearance at £840:

I'm also getting a 11-28 cassette for my Canyon as I never use the 32T on the 11-32 that's fitted, and would like some closer ratios. It's a little lighter too which never hurts (in fact with a new cassette and the new saddle I've got there'll be under 200g difference between it and an equivalent Ultimate climbing bike).
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Niallmo said:
    Found the "perfect" bike on Cycle to Work...

GT Grade Alu X.

Sram Rival 1x11, flared drop bars, Enduro-Road geometry, so gravel/road bike, clearance for 38c tyres and only 8.6kg.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/Bicyles/F7344B06-229B-4724-BAB1-05648ECFB3E5_zpsrguijen0.jpg
    that's a beaut!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Bar upgrade on the Carrera. 

Alpkit Bomber 25 degree flair. I've really take to the adventure bike idea. Off out in a few mins to get some bar tape.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/Bicyles/0F19ABD6-D997-450B-8511-D7B3F6237577_zpsla3cmmlc.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/Bicyles/A5F5279C-479E-4BF3-88D9-EB79E77AD59B_zpsghxphsql.jpg
    The GT currently has about £500 off its RRP. Need it to stay that way for six weeks lol
    6 weeks is into December!

Just back from a 50 mile ride, using the B'Twin. Took a variation on a route I'd take quite often, lots of smaller hills with a couple of bigger climbs. You really feel the extra >5kg of the B'Twin compared to the Canyon, but I guess it'll stand me in good stead when the spring comes round and it feels like I've lost a stone overnight.

Also messed around with just using the middle chainring and riding the bike as a 1x for a fair bit of it. It was quite enjoyable. The middle chainring is a 39T, and the cassette is a 12-25 so doesn't have a huge range, you'll spin out on any significant downhill section, and I wouldn't want to tackle a big climb on it, but for just general riding, even with that limited range it was quite good.

That's a serious flare on those bars! Don't think I'd be able to cope with that! Now you just need to get rid of the mudguards and squeeze some 32c tyres in there.

Got 25c Gotorskins for it today, 23c on at mo. I don't think it'll take more than 28c but I'd like 32c on it!

with 25's the 'guards will have to come off anyway! I had 25c Ultra Sports on it and they rubbed.

The GT set up is a 40 chairing and 11-28 but I'd change to an 11-32.

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited October 2016
    I should have my Mango Point Blank arriving Saturday. Ordered it on the 6th, but then they do build the frames to order so I won't begrudge the wait! I opted for a natural brown leather saddle, pursuit bars and 25c Gatorskins for everyday riding. 
    It'll eventually get some Carbon Cane creek 200tt levers to pair with it's stock Tektro R315's (Not pictured). Some Restrap Diagonal pedal straps and some Crud mudguards. As well as gradually upgrading bits and bobs like a Carbon bladed fork and decent deep rimmed wheels. Should get me around town well enough for the foreseeable future! 
    I'm entirely new to road as well as SS riding, having come from a MTB background but I'm excited :) 

https://www.mangobikes.com/shop/bikes/point-blank/point-blank-raw/

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    SRAM also do 11-42 if it's hilly, it gives you much the same range as a 11-32 on a compact crankset. Gears might be quite far apart at that though, I even find 11-32 spacing a bit annoying
    I did look at Mango for the Point with a 105 groupset but there are no weights listed. It's alloy so prob around 10kg. 

I really like that Point Blank and did briefly consider it.

realky need to get out over the next couple of days, it's been far too long...

• jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    New (to me) track bike! Now trying to justify spending a shed load on some superb sexy Fast Forward carbon tubs...

https://imgur.com/gallery/MUDoQ