Toska - Ode to the Author

What's Hot
If you're subscribed to Rabea Massaad's channel, this would have popped up this evening...

It's not remotely the sort of thing I'd normally choose to listen to, but I'm currently on my third run through it and it still sounds epic.

I'm about to buy it, and you should too. I'm somewhat grateful that I didn't break the bank at the Guitar Show yesterday (unlike some people...).
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    It did, and I'm really enjoying it too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Am listening. Am enjoying.

Hey, it just finished as I was typing. Upgrading my review to:

Did listen. Did enjoy.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    edited February 2016
    Glad it's not just me.

I just paid a tenner for the full version - it's "pay what you want/what you think it's worth", so I did.

I'm going to stop now before I start to sound like a fanboy.
    <space for hire>
  • Yep downloaded and it's great. Completely not my usual listening material at all but I love it. Also have tickets to their Manchester show in April. Is anyone else going?
    How very rock and roll
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Genuine sadness that a great ep from a great new band attracts 4 comments while a pitchfork session about living in a car attracts 4 pages.
    Yep downloaded and it's great. Completely not my usual listening material at all but I love it. Also have tickets to their Manchester show in April. Is anyone else going?
    It's annoying that they're not doing any shows near me, except for the Nottingham date when I've got a gig in Oxford. Bah.

Deijavoo said:
    Genuine sadness that a great ep from a great new band attracts 4 comments while a pitchfork session about living in a car attracts 4 pages.
    Dadsnet. 'Tis the way of things.
    <space for hire>
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I had saved this on my YouTube list, I better get round to listening to it - sounds like it's good!
    edited March 2016
    Aye, the Toksa EP is superb! On my second listen this morning on Apple Music. Another one to buy.

Really like it!

Andy
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I've listened to this a few times recently. The drums sound great. I am really not into the tone of the guitars. It seems a bit phasey to me... almost like Haas effect rather than true double tracking. Can't quite put my finger on it.
    Drew_fx said:
    I've listened to this a few times recently. The drums sound great. I am really not into the tone of the guitars. It seems a bit phasey to me... almost like Haas effect rather than true double tracking. Can't quite put my finger on it.
    I know Bea uses stereo Krakens live, but I think he only has one Torpedo Live (that's how he recorded it all, from looking at his videos). With that in mind, he wouldn't have been able to record it all in true stereo, but it does sound like stereo delays and reverbs...I suspect there's been a little trickery to make it work, which has resulted in a tiny bit of phasing.

Personally, I think you're wrong and the guitars sound great, but potato/potato etc :D
    <space for hire>
    He didn't use his Krakens for a chunk of it. He used his JVM and his 5150. Coz I watched his "progumentary" :)

It's more the first track.. few production choices I wouldn't have made. The later stuff isn't as bad. But here in my studio the guitars feel REALLY wide, and it's kind of off putting.
    edited March 2016
    Drew_fx said:
    He didn't use his Krakens for a chunk of it. He used his JVM and his 5150. Coz I watched his "progumentary" :)

It's more the first track.. few production choices I wouldn't have made. The later stuff isn't as bad. But here in my studio the guitars feel REALLY wide, and it's kind of off putting.
    Really? Could've sworn he used the Krakens. Hmmm.

EDIT: Just had another look - he does use the JVM on bits, but most of it is the Krakens :)
    <space for hire>
    Drew_fx said:

Really? Could've sworn he used the Krakens. Hmmm.
    He has four amps in his studio setup:

Have a look around 1:02:00. You can see him using his JVM, then later on he uses the Kraken's. Didn't actually see him use the 5150 but he does mention it at one point.

Every guitarist should have multiple amps! :D
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
    Been loving this EP since it came out. Chalk Teeth is probably still my favourite.

Anyone have any suggestions for similar artists? I feel like I'm in a musical drought at the minute.
    Cheers for the video link - sound like it's worth a watch. :)

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    If you like Toska you might like Godsticks.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Bit late to the party on this one, but I downloaded it on Friday evening, and its been the only thing ive listened to all weekend...and this morning whilst walking the dog. Epic! Love it.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**