Any solo performers using a Bose L1 System?

What's Hot
IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
edited February 2016 in Live tFB Trader
Thought this would be the best place to ask.

Looking at the Bose L1 Compact system. I gig solo vocal/acoustic in pubs mainly. Was just after some real world experience.
http://www.ivisonguitars.com
(formerly miserneil)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I don't own one but regularly sing through one at open mike. I really like it. The omni-directional sound means I can hear myself properly without needing a monitor.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

I use the an L2 system for my acoustic band and for that it works great. Good points are the even dispersion, the fact you don't need monitors and its very quick and easy to set up. 

We actually tried to use 2 x L2 systems a few weeks back for a full band in a small pub. Unfortunately the pub didn't have the height as the 2 pieces joined together are quite high. You won't have that problem with an L1 as one piece is a dummy extension, if you don't have the height leave it out and put the other piece and the base on a table

In short for music which doesn't need anything below 100hz reinforced such as acoustic guitars and vocals the Bose is very very good. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Many thanks @Danny1969, that's good to know. By the way, is your the Compact system?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    miserneil said:
    Many thanks @Danny1969, that's good to know. By the way, is your the Compact system?
    We have 2 X L1 model 2 with B2 bass, each system is 2 x bass modules and 2 X arrays (or sticks as we call them) For just about everything we use a single L2 system which is like the compact but has 2 arrays or sticks rather than on array and a dummy stick like the compact system. For some bigger outdoor gigs I have used both L2 systems together but in general one is plenty. 

The compact isn't as powerful as the model 2 but it's a lot cheaper. You can score a used model 2 quite cheaply, the last one we got was £1400 from Ebay

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Looks very impressive. How does it prevent microphone howl (feedback) when speakers are positioned behind the microphones?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Looks very impressive. How does it prevent microphone howl (feedback) when speakers are positioned behind the microphones?
    It will howl into feedback once you get to a certain volume but it doesn't feedback as easy as 2 normal PA speakers would if they were positioned directly behind the mics. What's clever about it is the "throw" it has and the wide dispersion. This means you don't actually have to have it as loud to begin with to fill a certain area and the coverage it consistent from left to right. 

It's not as Hi Fi as a normal PA though, it resonates more on certain bass notes than others and doesn't extend much above 10Khz. For acoustic guitar and vocals though this is not a problem 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I've been thinking of getting an L1 for quite a while now, I was initially considering the Compact but I'm now very tempted by the Model 1S. The Compact sounded really nice with my Taylor, so hoping the Model 1S sounds even better.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• I had one of the original L1 systems for a while. I sometimes play a solo rock guitar + backing tracks gig. I started off thinking the system with 2 x bass modules would be enough but it wasn't for the weight of sound I wanted to produce. I ended up using the pole + a link out of the bass bin output to a 1200 watt power amp and single EV passive 15" bass bin. This was much more like it, great clarity and no need for monitors...Only enough power and projection for pub gigs in this application. For acoustic stuff I expect the system could handle small hall type gigs where the bass response isn't as necessary.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I think this looks amazing!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Yeah I'd love one for my duo. We're currently using 2 massive Peavey speakers and a wedge. My back hates me.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    edited August 2016
    Double post.