Muffroom Cloud will be changing its name as of 1 Sept.

What's Hot

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6146
    tFB Trader
    Rowby1 said:

But what's to stop them issuing the same order if you re name it anyway? Or is it as simple as you avoiding the word "Muff" in the name.

Another one never buying anything EHX! Twats.

its the four letters  that is causing the angst, 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited March 2016

"I'll never buy another EHX pedal again".

I'm genuinely confused why Electro Harmonix are taking such a bashing when they've done nothing wrong? 

If you're gonna find a reason not to buy an EHX pedal at least make it their shoddy quality control.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    It's probably worth considering the publicity benefits of being threatened by a much larger company...
    This is THE case study on how to benefit from a legal threat, even if your resolution is a little different. :-)

Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581

I'm genuinely confused why Electro Harmonix are taking such a bashing when they've done nothing wrong? 

If you're gonna find a reason not to buy an EHX pedal at least make it their shoddy quality control.

I suspect it's because of the fact that they (apparently) don't have a trademark on "Muff", particularly as used within a nonsensical play on words ("Muffroom").

That makes it seem like this is a speculative attempt at squashing competition using legalese (on the basis that ThorpyFX probably wouldn't be able to afford to defend it), hence the ire directed at them.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I've always liked the Arkell vs Pressdram response:

29th April 1971

Dear Sir,

We act for Mr Arkell who is Retail Credit Manager of Granada TV Rental Ltd. His attention has been drawn to an article appearing in the issue of Private Eye dated 9th April 1971 on page 4. The statements made about Mr Arkell are entirely untrue and clearly highly defamatory. We are therefore instructed to require from you immediately your proposals for dealing with the matter. 

Mr Arkell's first concern is that there should be a full retraction at the earliest possible date in Private Eye and he will also want his costs paid. His attitude to damages will be governed by the nature of your reply.

Yours,

(Signed)

Goodman Derrick & Co.

------------------------------

Dear Sirs,

We acknowledge your letter of 29th April referring to Mr. J. Arkell. 

We note that Mr Arkell's attitude to damages will be governed by the nature of our reply and would therefore be grateful if you would inform us what his attitude to damages would be, were he to learn that the nature of our reply is as follows: fuck off.

Yours,

Private Eye

20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279

I suspect it's because of the fact that they (apparently) don't have a trademark on "Muff", particularly as used within a nonsensical play on words ("Muffroom").

That makes it seem like this is a speculative attempt at squashing competition using legalese (on the basis that ThorpyFX probably wouldn't be able to afford to defend it), hence the ire directed at them.
    Or to paraphrase, they're acting like twats.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    If you were feeling spiteful, you could change the name but include some etching on the inside of the case that says, for instance "EHX are a bunch of smelly poo heads", or something?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited March 2016
    New name would have to be some sort of weapon/armaments based thing, yes?

Custard Pi?

:O)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Citizens advice bureau combined with a few of the more legal-y types on here could draft a letter in response.
    Combine that with a press release stating exactly what you have said here.

"Sadly ...... Because we have received.... From the owner of the big muff pi trademark.... Blah blah"

It could do nothing, it could make front page of guitar news websites.

-

Also is there any way we can send an email saying we are selling all of our ehx equipment and never going to purchase an ehx pedal again becuase of this, without getting you into trouble for defamation or something?
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    So I wonder if they've taken on JHS over the Muffuletta? Or are JHS and EHX in some way connected?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

See, I think they have done something wrong, morally if not legally. I think they're using their size and funds to bully a smaller maker into changing a product name that doesn't really infringe on their trademark. That's my view, anyway.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10390
    tFB Trader
    This is unfortunately the reaction we as small makers get from the big boys. We are fine till we get positive reviews, then on the slimmest of pretexts they come in guns blazing. Every time I produce a twin cream coil humbucker I risk Larry kicking in my front door :-)
    As for going near Rickenbacker ... Jason Lollar's experience proves that even when the big company concerned can't make a pickup with reliable quality control ... they will make damn sure nobody else can offer alternatives. What annoys me is that were you a Chinese company you'd be left strictly alone. A case of pursuing the easy targets.
    I was considering buying a Germanium 4 Big muff Pi a while ago ... I'm rather glad I didn't ... as with others ... you will get my business for my next 'fuzz'  full stop.
    Sorry for you losing money on engraving etc ... but you have the support of fellow UK manufactures as well as customers ... hopefully it will be minimised. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    I'm waiting for the first "Pre-Lawsuit" Muffroom Cloud to hit the classifieds............. ;)

..........mine's a keeper though!

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited March 2016

Yeah, I appreciate that angle and that is the advice I would give.  However it is still Thorpy making the decision to change the name.  If (as is true EHX) have no case then there is no case to fight and ignore it.  It's their job to prove it, which as it's fantastical they can't. 

The is slightly more complicated as a lot of the Muffroom Cloud's marketing (besides it's name) relies on referring to EHX own baby.  Plenty of other Muff variants exist without making direct comparisons, such as the Musket, Pharaoh, Iron Bell... So to that extent maybe EHX do have a claim.  Still this isn't them in the wrong.  The Muffroom Cloud will still exist but use a different name.  Had it not been for EHX then the Muffroom Cloud would not have existed fall stop so I just find making them the bad guys a bit odd.

As for sending a cease and desist order equalling acting likes twats, when the world was awash with OCD clones, which itself is a clone of the Voodoo Labs OD with added tone control, Mike Fuller would send cease and desist orders as well as threats of physical violence to people so on balance I think EHX just followed protocol.  I suspect that the arrival of the Muffuletta around a similar time probably didn't help their mood much either.

Personally I fail to see how spiteful bitching about EHX based purely on sycophantism is going to help the reputation of Thorpy FX long term.   For all the Thorpy fans there are here there are far more EHX fanbois out there.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited March 2016
    I detect a great PR opportunity here.

Whether that is through the various forums, FaceBook etc, or the more established press, print or online, .
    There is always great interest, and usually good support, from a well articulated "David and Goliath" story.

Nice to see a big established company taking the moral low ground, quelle surprise !  So, use it to advantage...

In answer to @randomhandclaps' first post (edit: it's moved on quickly as I type), I think @digitalscream summed it up quite well, I am inclined to add "bully boy tactics" to that as well.  It all leaves a pretty bad taste in the mouth for most.  How else are us "little guys" able to show our disapproval ?  At least it is democratic to vote with your feet / wallet, non ?

(¿ If all else fails, maybe we should arrange with "the Regiment" down the road from me, in Hereford, to pay them a small advisory visit ?)  >-)
    (sorry, wrong mask I know, but the closest I could find ~ (this behaviour is all alien to me anyway))

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Call it the Mushroom Cloud.

Close enuff to "Muff", keeps the suits happy at EHX and we will all know what you mean. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    It's also worth bearing in mind that this might not be the action of EHX at all - it could be their lawyers being overzealous. Or, alternatively, it might be somebody in EHX who's not very PR-minded getting a bit excitable without necessarily having the support of their higher-ups.
    <space for hire>
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6146
    tFB Trader
    It's all very difficult as you can imagine but I will say this. I'm not happy with changing the name, I attempted to avoid this from the off by making up a word, sadly it didn't work. The cease and desist came from a decent gentlemen in the company that sent it. He was not a lawyer at all and he has been perfectly pleasant to deal with as he appears to be a decent human being. As for making the decision myself, I have no choice but to change the name it would be ruinous to fight it..., even if I did win. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    I suggest calling the new version the ThorpyFx Lady Garden.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    Or the ThorpyFx Fuzzy Flesh Welly.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom