SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Wanted: Strat neck with ebony board, 45-48mm wide at nut

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
This is a bit of a long shot. I want a strat neck, ebony on maple. But I want it extra wide at the nut: somewhere between 45mm and 47.6 (the latter being the equivalent of Fender's 1 7/8ths).

Anyone got something suitable?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is 7 string territory isn't it?
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Not specifically, but you may be right. The 45mm is the dimension of an ESP guitar I have and I want to replicate that on a new Strat-alike.

Seems Fender went as wide as 1 7/8ths at some point, and it's an option at Warmoth. Not sure if it's intended for 7-strings, though.
  • Good to know. Good luck with your search ;-)
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2401
    This could be a job for M.D. Phillips!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bumping this very old thread, because I've got some time now to actually get busy and make the guitar.

All pointers welcome.
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    Sarge said:
    This could be a job for M.D. Phillips!
    Is he still master building?
    Who is he? UK-based? The obvious choice is one of those 1 7/8in necks from Warmoth, but I'd like to support a UK builder if I can.
  • Guitar Build and Haynes make necks with 1 3/4" wide nuts, which will be 44.45mm wide not 45mm wide, if it makes a difference.  
  • goldtop said:
    Bumping this very old thread, because I've got some time now to actually get busy and make the guitar.

All pointers welcome.
    If it must be oversized at the neck then ignore, but otherwise I have at least 2 more conventional Warmoth ebony board necks available.. other necks going up soon too, but all conventional sized Warmoths/USA Custom Guitars...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

• goldtop said:
    This is a bit of a long shot. I want a strat neck, ebony on maple. But I want it extra wide at the nut: somewhere between 45mm and 47.6 (the latter being the equivalent of Fender's 1 7/8ths).

Anyone got something suitable?
    Hi there,
    I can build that neck for you for a fair price with top quality and extra inlay, logo and stuff. We can talk about wide dimensions but first of all it needs to be adjusted to a propper bridge. I know that Brian May's Red Special have oddly large nut because they've been using a classical guitar neck as an example. BUT the bridge is custom as well.
    I'm new here on the board, just joined today but I'm in "it" for quite a long time. Please have a look on my site to see some of my work: www.solomonguitars.co.uk and drop me a message if interested.
    Marshall said:
    goldtop said:

All pointers welcome.
    If it must be oversized at the neck then ignore, but otherwise I have at least 2 more conventional Warmoth ebony board necks available.. other necks going up soon too, but all conventional sized Warmoths/USA Custom Guitars...

I definitely want the nut width stated. Playing that Lynch ESP was a revelation, so I'm following the important bits of the tone recipe, and just going for super-simple aesthetics.

@solomonguitars - thanks, I will check out your site. I wasn't too fussed about bridge saddle-saddle spacing. I suppose there must be an ideal geometry but I was imagining that it's simpler and more effective to choose a bridge that matches the pole positions of a conventional pickup.