Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Relic fail?

What's Hot

Comments

• 1nten5e said:
    The whole thing is John Cruz Masterbuilt, so not genuine nope :)
    That's pretty amazing.  Must have taken ages!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    edited December 2013
    GazLion said:
    All this fake vintage stuff is crap, but that is on another level of crap
    If you're including Fender Custom Shop Relics in your 'fake vintage stuff', then there's thousand of guitarists out there who would wildly disagree with you. Me too - I've owned a few and some of them have been the best Strats/Teles I've ever played. And they're great for gigging guitars as you don't have to worry if they pick up the odd little bump along the way!

Just to give an example of a really great relic, 

It's unrealistic, but it means it's not trying to be something it's not, as such - it's like a prop, and looks great for it!
    Er... you actually like that?! Fair enough, I suppose variety is the spice of life etc.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    The only bit I'm not keen on is the wear on the inside of the lower horn
    Signet ring mark :). You see that on a lot of real ones that went through the 70s ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GazLion said:
    If you're including Fender Custom Shop Relics in your 'fake vintage stuff', then there's thousand of guitarists out there who would wildly disagree with you. Me too - I've owned a few and some of them have been the best Strats/Teles I've ever played. And they're great for gigging guitars as you don't have to worry if they pick up the odd little bump along the way!

It's unrealistic, but it means it's not trying to be something it's not, as such - it's like a prop, and looks great for it!
    Er... you actually like that?! Fair enough, I suppose variety is the spice of life etc.
    It's because of it's 'prop factor' - looks like it was recovered from a sunken ship or something!  I find it more honest than some of the 'realistic' ones.

ICBM said:
    The only bit I'm not keen on is the wear on the inside of the lower horn
    Signet ring mark :). You see that on a lot of real ones that went through the 70s ;).

Ooo nice point.  I take it back!
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I fucking HATE artificially reliced guitars. They uniformly look like boiled arsegrapes on toast with added streams of boiling piss bought by poser wannabes who think it will make them look cool playing their lawyerdentist, blueswank, cockwomblry, fucking boring shite.

Now, a guitar that's had a few real knocks is another matter entirely. 

Glad to have that off my chest.
  • paulk said:
    They uniformly look like...
    The one thing they are not, is uniform.   :-S
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    paulk said:
    I fucking HATE artificially reliced guitars. They uniformly look like boiled arsegrapes on toast with added streams of boiling piss bought by poser wannabes who think it will make them look cool playing their lawyerdentist, blueswank, cockwomblry, fucking boring shite.

I'm not keen on SG's but I dont let it get to me :D

• GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    GazLion said:

Yup I certainly am! Thanks for the stats though. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I have a Nash Tele which is a relic. 

Looks like shit, but sounds great and plays well.

When down the pub playing nobody cares, so I'm alright with it.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• MJT do some good stuff but I'm not overly clean on the finish of the exposed wood.

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    stonevibe said:
    I have a Nash Tele which is a relic. 

Looks like shit, but sounds great and plays well.

When down the pub playing nobody cares, so I'm alright with it.

That right there is the fucking point gentlemen. When we're giggin, nobody gives a fuck, except us. We buy them (or not) cause we want to (or not) and can do (or not).
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    paulk said:

Excellent honesty. I have two, but I appreciate and accept your view.

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    What @jd0272 said. The only exception was when I saw NIN live back in the day. He had a beautiful blue LP for one song, and I knew the guitar line finished halfway through the song. I knew what was going to happen then. I can only hope a tech caught it as it sailed over the backdrop...

It's horses for courses tho ain't it? I think that's more than 'get away-able' if you play like you're thrashing the fucking tits off it, but not if you're into smooth jazz. I'd get away with it. Seen much worse come out of Fender.
    DeeTee said:
    What @jd0272 said. The only exception was when I saw NIN live back in the day. He had a beautiful blue LP for one song, and I knew the guitar line finished halfway through the song. I knew what was going to happen then. I can only hope a tech caught it as it sailed over the backdrop...
    It was blue man. Blue! Let it drop   ;) Not half the class of the Townsend method tho eh   ;)
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I wanted one of those blue Les Pauls so bad. It was the late nineties man, leave me alone!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MJT are great. But they cater for all tastes, from lovers of light checking to Rory Gallagher wannabes.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    edited December 2013
    GazLion said:
    GazLion said:
    Yup I certainly am! Thanks for the stats though. 
    Poor you, your blind prejudice means you're missing out on some of the finest guitars around! Each to their own though.   :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @fretfinder I have to agree. My lovely CS Relic '59 Esquire is, well, lovely, and plays and sounds like a good 'un.

Mind in fairness, Fender don't half put out some shite 'looking' relics as well.
    DeeTee said:
    I wanted one of those blue Les Pauls so bad. It was the late nineties man, leave me alone!

It. Was. Blue. BLUE FFS. However, I have LOL'd you out of sympathy for the medication you need to be on    ;)