What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
edited March 2016 in Making & Modding
OK so yet another project on the go, a partscaster Strat... with 3 simgle coils

Id like to use a Tele 3 position switch, can I wire it to do 
Switch forward = Neck pickup 
Switch middle = Middle and neck together
Switch back = Bridge only

If its possible a diagram would be nice, cos without I'm clueless, using an Oak Grigsby style switch and two tones - one for neck/middle and one for bridge only......

Thanks folks!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited March 2016
    Thanks @normula1 except I have 3 pickups ala Strat!.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72327
    edited March 2016
    Yes you can - it's quite easy.

On the switch there are two sides, each of which has a rotor and three contacts - you can see which is which if you look at it while moving it, it should be clear.

Connect:

Both rotors to the volume pot top terminal (as normal for Strat wiring).

The neck pickup to the neck position and the middle position terminals on one side.

The middle pickup to the middle position terminal on the other side.

The bridge pickup to the bridge position terminal on either side (doesn't matter which).

The neck/middle tone control to the neck pickup at the switch.

The bridge tone control to the bridge pickup at the switch.

The only flaw with this is that when both tone controls are turned right down, you will get both the neck and bridge pickups together regardless of where the switch is (plus the middle pickup if it's in the middle). If that's going to be a problem, you need to cut the link wire between the two tone pots and add a second tone cap for the lower tone control - which if it's for the bridge pickup, you could then make a smaller value which might sound better. (eg .01uF)

Does that help, without drawing it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Awesome @ICBM ! But I could do with a drawing if you can be arsed, with the second tone pot cap mod, scrawled on paper and post a photo? ....... Please!

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    edited March 2016
    Does this help:-
    http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=189&p=175650

EDIT:ignore me, not 3 pickups, doh.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Why not fit a 5 way with a bridge tone control?Just google eric johnson wiring diagram. Or jimmie vaughan.
    edited March 2016
    paulnb57 said:
    Awesome @ICBM ! But I could do with a drawing if you can be arsed, with the second tone pot cap mod, scrawled on paper and post a photo? ....... Please!
    Is this OK?

http://i.imgur.com/Fc8KTek.jpg

Pretty sure that should be right. I can't remember which way round the contacts are on an Oak Grigsby off the top of my head, so if it doesn't work get back to me :).

(Edit - small correction! I had drawn one of the tone controls wrong.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @ICBM you Sir, are a star, thank you, have a virtual Pint!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

@ICBM all wired and worked first time - many thanks for making the effort….

@ICBM at the risk of being a nuisance, how would I mod the above diagram to give neck, bridge and middle, bridge please, I'd like to give it a go on my current strat project?

Thanks in anticipation....

Either disconnect the neck pickup from the left-most terminal it's connected to in the drawing and jumper the bridge pickup across to there, or move the middle pickup to that terminal and jumper the bridge pickup to where the middle is now - depending on which is easier to wire.

Thanks boss!

@ICBM ;
    The above diagram is how all my Strats are now wired and it fits my personal needs and desires very well indeed. may I ask a favour, Im doing a Strat based on a Coodercaster and there is only one vol and tone, I only really use the tone on the bridge pickup, so for this application.....
    What would I have to change to keep the same switching but with only one tone control wired to the bridge only?
    Do I just leave out the middle tone control and the wire to it from the switch?

Thanks!

Paul

Yes, exactly that :).

Cheers! Let the soldering begin!

Thanks!