New (old) guitar

What's Hot
cm01cm01 Frets: 452
edited December 2013 in Guitar
Took a punt on this earlier in the week and boy am I glad I did!  It's a 1967 - 71 era Melody Maker (allegedly!) that's been a bit hacked about, refinished and relic'd - the interesting thing is the seller thought it might have had a replacement neck, possibly from a '65 or '67 SG - the serial number is difficult to make out - not sure what the first digit is - but there are some knowledgeable people on this forum so perhaps someone will be able to help... 

Whatever it is, it plays wonderfully - the neck is absolutely HUGE but really comfortable and playable (and also seems to be made up of 3 pieces?).  It's already been routed under the pickguard so I'm going to put either a set of humbuckers or P90's in as soon as I get a chance and stick a 3 way toggle on (probably on the scratchplate roughly where a normal SG switch would sit).  Spent all night playing it and I love it!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    Nice! be incredible with p90s
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    I originally intended to put humbuckers in but more and more I'm thinking P90's are the way to go
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    That's lovely - P90s would be pretty groovy too :)

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited December 2013

Is it a 3 piece neck? If it is, it's definitely 1969 or later.  Early 1969 3 piece necks didn't necessarily have a volute or a paddle headstock. 

The serial number looks the right size and "font" for a genuine Gibson, it's just been rubbed when the finish has been removed from the back of the neck.  If the first digit in the serial number is an 8 and not a 3 then would be more in favour of it being a '69 neck.   The closed "b" and "o" and no dot over the "I" in the logo would also put it around 1969 or later.   In that year there wasn't necessarily a "Made in USA" under the serial number.  

So it may be that the guitar is all 1969.  The body / neck join look right for that era as well.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    edited December 2013
    I agree with ESchap.

I would also keep the small pickups - I think they're part of its character. You don't have to put P90s or humbuckers in it just because other Gibsons have them.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't put *different* pickups in it though… anything Strat-sized should fit.

And cut the set screws down on that bridge! Just a little pet bit of fussiness of mine ;) . (Take the length off from the thread, so the heads tighten up to the back of the bridge - keeps everything tight and secure so it doesn't 'creep' out of adjustment.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10386
    tFB Trader
    That's really gorgeous ... I love a guitar that looks like it could tell you stories from it's past all night :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Was that the one on e bay.looks cool.
  • Fabulous. Colour me jealous.

As all most of the collector value is lost, I'd put humbuckers in. The guitarist in Jonathan Wilson's band has a similar guitar (but narrow headstock) and has done just that.

• ESchap said:

The closed "b" and "o" and no dot over the "I" in the logo would also put it around 1969 or later.   

Wouldn't a Melody Maker have a transfer rather than an inlay though?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10386
    tFB Trader
    Personally I'd put P90s in .... mind you there's no reason why you couldn't use Strat size 'P90s' to keep the original look and get a fatter, more vintage sound.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

ESchap said:

The closed "b" and "o" and no dot over the "I" in the logo would also put it around 1969 or later.   

Wouldn't a Melody Maker have a transfer rather than an inlay though?

I'm sure its not an earlier neck, SG specials were bound.  The 3 piece definitely suggests '69.  Perhaps they did a run with MoP logos? or perhaps the logo was added later?  Still looks like a Gibson neck to me.  old Gibson's from the late 60's early 70's are always a bit of an enigma they seem to be all over the place spec wise.  The effect of the Norlin "accountants" kicking in I guess.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Looks great.
    Large headstock Melody Makers not that unusual.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF3CEUMO-CE

There is even one here with mother of pearl logo...
    http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-melody-maker-2-1968-natural#

But the black face on the headstock seems unusual. Neck joint (and colour) looks right so maybe the headstock face is refinished.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    It wouldn't surprise me if they used up surplus or b-stock parts on the Melody Maker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Whatever it is, it's the tits!

Love it. And if you actually like the neck feel, you really lucked out. 
    :)
    Skipped said:
    Looks great.
    Large headstock Melody Makers not that unusual.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF3CEUMO-CE

There is even one here with mother of pearl logo...
    http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-melody-maker-2-1968-natural#

But the black face on the headstock seems unusual. Neck joint (and colour) looks right so maybe the headstock face is refinished.
    I'd say you're spot on.  The MoP logo looks right, but a little "blurred" around the edges.  Also if you look closely you can see it sits slightly proud of the headstock.  My guess is it's the original Gibson logo but the face of the headstock as been sanded a little to allow a coat or two of black, probably when it was refinished.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I am only on my laptop but I am bit stunned with that guy's clean sound in the clip I just posted. From Hot humbuckers. I think I would be tempted to try that. And maybe a conventional wrapover (intonation is over-rated). Leave the tailpiece holes. Got to love guitars like this.

• cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    Thanks everyone for the info / comments... I love the neck so I really have lucked out.  

Think I'm probably going to put humbuckers in (had a similar MM years ago with humbuckers in it) and lose the tailpiece (but keep the holes) and see how it plays with the existing wrapover bridge.