So dug out this clip...

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Sungazer - Andy guitars

The only editing in these tracks are fade ins and fade outs for each of the segments. I mention this, because otherwise you might think that some of the notes were punched in, but they weren't. The recording was just THAT friggin' tight, particularly those bits in the middle, with the chuggy chord and then the higher power chord that cuts in.

This is a pretty good representation of how my old Sig X sounded, and now I'm feeling nostalgic again. lawl.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Meh nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Nice tonez though.
  • I'm sure you can get as good if not better "tone" with your current rig. :)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Having lots of fun with the Ironheart today. But now... ROAST TIME!
  • Bon appetit. :)
  • Drew, di you ever consider the AMT Stonehead? :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2013
    I did consider it, yes.

It is fugly, and there seems to be some bleed between the channels when on the clean mode, I can hear it in that video. Just before Ola turns down the gain to compensate.
  • Ok :)
    I know... I know... I ask for too much!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Drew_fx said:
    I know... I know... I ask for too much!
    No you don't. You just ask for gear that works properly and doesn't have stupidly annoying flaws like channel switching with a noticeable delay, or bleed between the channels. Neither of these things is impossible to fix, but for some reason guitar amp designers seem to not think it's necessary to get it right.

The amp in that clip sounds good, although it's not really my thing - way too tight, which I know is why you like it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Oh aye, I love the tightness. Was basically the reason I fell out of love with my JVM - plenty of gain, good EQ's, lots of tones. Any of them tight? Nah mate. Loose as a goose. But can I find a second hand Sig X? Can I bawls!

I've got the EVH5150-50watter at the moment, which has a lovely high-gain tone, lovely mid-gain tones, and nice cleans. But not all at once. So as much as I'm kicking myself... I *may* be selling it. Haven't made my mind up yet.

The Ironheart is closer to the tones I want, but still isn't quite there yet. There is something about it that isn't quite working for me. Haven't figured it out yet.

I'm quite interested to checkout one of those Blackstar 1046L6's and the EL34 variant too. But I'm basically going to be away for an entire month from the 27th, so not much point in trying to solve this until then. I see EVH 5150III 100 watters going for about £750-800, so I may grab one of them at some point too.
  • The blackstar isn't as 'tight' as a 5150/6505 or the IRT IMO.  But it might work for you :) they have excellent gain tones, and nice definition for more complex chords.  The compression really suits lead lines, too.

Genuinely thought the AMT would suit, but it's that bleed... Interesting, as the other demo I saw didn't have that - perhaps not loud enough to show it, or not enough gain?  Ola typically doesn't use that much gain, though.  

I wonder why there is that bleed?  Seems a shame.
    I think it's probably volume. Same thing happened with that AMT F-1 pedal if you drove the input of the channel loop too hard.
    Also, those who will remember, I used to bitch a *lot* about the clean tones of the Fryette Sig X. You'll hear it at the start of this clip, once the single notes end, and it goes into the droney melody with the vocals... that was supposed to be crystal clean. But when I recorded the album, there was some sort of problem with the Fryette, which truth be told, I didn't actually clock until after all the tracks were recorded! I whinged about it quite a lot afterwards and months later it had even gotten worse, and it turned out to be a dodgy rectifier tube.

But by that point I was so pissed off with dealing with Fryette, I figured fuck it; just go and get an amp from a company with good support.

Marshall were utterly amazing from a support viewpoint. But the tones weren't in the amp unfortunately.
  • Drew_fx said:
    Marshall were utterly amazing from a support viewpoint. But the tones weren't in the amp unfortunately.
    Apparently they are all in the fingers. :D
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    The tones are in the smoke, and escaped when it came out :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

It wasn't a DSL, IC
    :))