Fishman Loudbox artist first gig impression

musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
edited December 2013 in Amps
OK not me gigging , my daughter. I was roadie , soundman , tuner , driver ,etc, etc.

Well it was a fair size Pub/Restaurant. and was concerned that 120W that is not valve would be enough.
So I took along another (fender) amp in case. As the Pub had no sound system the loudbox had to be the PA as well.

No need to worry. Plenty loud enough at about 60%. Just her an her Guitar. My worry about feedback issues were not a problem. I fitted a "Soundhole plug" and dialed in the notch filter on the amp and there were no issues ( you were right ICBM about the size of the venue , etc)

I had a friend along who is also a part time sound man. He was sitting in the audience giving me signals. He said at the end that he forgot to listen to the amp as it was so natural sounding he just got into the music!
Well impressed at the little box can do so much so well. The separation between the guitar and vocals was spot on.
 Even when she used my Strat on a few numbers it sounded great as a backing instrument giving very clear tones and not sounding sterile like I thought it would.... OK she is doing mainly acoustic style sets , but she did  Layla and "while my Guitar gently weeps"  in her version of both and sounded fine. Seriously good amp, that can be a monitor in bigger venues.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Thanks for the review, Ray. :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Sounds excellent. I must try one - I tried the very first Loudbox model and wasn't very impressed - I thought it was average-sounding and hugely overpriced - but it sounds like they've come a long way both in performance and value for money. (The product description alone is totally different from the first ones, which were just one-input.)

Nice to know I was at least right about the feedback :). I thought so but you can never *quite* tell...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Sorry been travellling
    What i found interesting was the ability to control both channels independantly so the guitar and mike could have different effects. That and it being bi amped with 100w main and 20 w tweeter.
    Both channels have the ability to EQ and control volume including a 10DB cut switch on each chaannel.
    It also has good independant feedback control for each channel so the different types of feedback can be dialed out . EG With the Acoustic guitar they guide you how to get rid of deep "howl " using the notch filter dialing in to the specific frequency . There is also a phase cut on each to get rid of "screech".

There are also nice additions like an Aux input that has it 's own volume control so you can use it as a backing track , or for playing music between sets. You do not have to mess around with volumes, you hit a mute switch and both channels are muted , but the aux stays on.

The feedouts on the back give independent effects loops and desk outs.  The inputs are TR / XLR so both balanced and un balanced can be used.

All in all a very flexible working tool , with volume enough to be clear at Solo performer gig volumes.

Very impressed