Where's the feedback when you need it

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
So at last nights gig, we are on our set closer, the dance floor is rammed and plenty of jumping, singing and good times. 'End of the world' by REM is a good closer and there is a pause, towards the end where the band drops out and the vocals (2) start up again. I usually hold the G shape and get the guitar to feedback under the vocals while the drummer is hitting the bass drum beat. 

Since getting my Les Paul I have struggled to get it to feedback- and last night, crouched next to the amp, I didn't get a bloody squeak! 

What are your tips to get feedback (in tune) when you need it?
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    stamping on a loud pedal and visciously attacking a Floyd Rose work for me.

Other may have better/more appropriate ways of doing it.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    Get a wah involved.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Boss FB-2 -- guaranteed cos it does what it says on the tin.  If you have to have it on cue every night then this works a treat.

Also, it's capable of everything from subtle to massive boost, either flat or with a mid-hump, and with judicious fiddling can replace a TS or TS-type pedal.  It's a bit fiddly cos there's a lot of power on tap and a tiny turn of the controls makes a big difference in sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Turn the amp up and hollow out your LP.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    Sustainiac.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    You could have had some of mine from last night. 

The fecking PA was howling like a banshee. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Where was your amp? You get the best controlled feedback with it right behind you at guitar height in my experience.

Add a bit of gain and it should be easy even with a solidbody guitar, unless you're at truly low volume.

If all else fails, Boss DF-2 :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Gain plus proximity to loud speaker is what'll do it. Aim the pickup at the centre of the speaker
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited March 2016
    As has been stated above, gain/distortion at reasonable volume should work. If not, add a compressor.
    With my Angry Charlie plus a compressor I can get pretty much infinite sustain on any note and muting is needed to stop unwanted notes/strings kicking off.
    It's not a competition.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    So I had it up fairly loud- 2 o clock on the master volume, (50w Marshall head and 4x10 cab) on dirty channel with a fair bit of crunch dialled in. The volume was balanced with a drum kit..... Plus I had a soul food on giving an extra bit of gain..... And I was crouched down with the guitar approx 8" from the cab. 

Sod all. Noise gate off, but no compressor. Is that the secret ingredient?
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    Definitely that will help, but if you've got a dirty channel and an od pedal, you'll be able to find a note to feedback on using a wah - treadle it till you find the magical frequency. I can do that at lounge volumes with a tubescreamer and a Carvin amp, no problem. (Oh, and humbuckers). I used to play Parisienne walkways, and sometimes if it was a very quiet gig and a very dead room, I relied on the wah for the long note.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited March 2016
    I'm rarely not loud enough to get feedback if I want it, but if its not happening I'll press the headstock of the guitar against the cab - that works down to a surprisingly low volume, though it's usually going to feed back at the fundamental of the lowest note rather than your typical squeeling harmonic so might require a re-voicing of the chord.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Cirrus said:
    I'm rarely not loud enough to get feedback if I want it, but if its not happening I'll press the headstock of the guitar against the cab - that works down to a surprisingly low volume, though it's usually going to feed back at the fundamental of the lowest note rather than your typical squeeling harmonic so might require a re-voicing of the chord.
    No no, low is good. Gonna try that next time with and with out compressor
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    viz said:
    Get a wah involved.
    This. Even better, when you use a wah to get feedback, you can vary the pitch of the feedback very musically with the sweep of the pedal.
    <space for hire>
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Touch the head of the guitar to the speaker cabinet. I like a touch of feedback now and again. This ancient trick works, even at folk club volume
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Grunfeld said:
    Boss FB-2 -- guaranteed cos it does what it says on the tin.  If you have to have it on cue every night then this works a treat.

Also, it's capable of everything from subtle to massive boost, either flat or with a mid-hump, and with judicious fiddling can replace a TS or TS-type pedal.  It's a bit fiddly cos there's a lot of power on tap and a tiny turn of the controls makes a big difference in sound.
    This!!!! Its a largely unheralded pedal imo - its good clean boost and guaranteed, more predictable even musical feedback
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    My EP Booster helps get that too but I also have the volume pedal set so I can push it a bit more to get that sustain/feedback - again even at low volume - Victory V30 with a 1x12

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Boss FB-2 is your friend. It's an extremely versatile pedal with pretty much instant feedback on demand.