Anyone have tab for Kenny Burrell's solo in Organ Grinder's Swing?

What's Hot
hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

Hiya, does anyone have the tab for the solo in Organ Grinder's Swing? If not, does anyone know where I can buy it? I can only find the sheet music and that's not something I currently read particularly well.

It's a solo I've always wanted to learn, so I'm going to try as soon as I can get the tab!

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    Shouldn't this encourage you to learn to read music, at least sufficiently well to write it out as tab yourself?
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    .... yeah, you're right. I've been learning on and off for years though and it just doesn't stick. 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
    15 mins per day is better than an hour in one go.
    My in-laws have the sheet music but the solo's not transcribed. My Mrs has offered to transcribe it for me, and I think I'll take her up on that. Hopefully Sibelius will output to tab :)

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Sibelius can output to tab, but it doesn't always choose the right string, so you've still got some work to do
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    That's cool, I don't mind sorting out things like that.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    Why not use a slow-downer program and transcribe it?  it's basically a blues in C with plenty of fairly standard jazz-blues licks.  The guitar is clear in the mix and slowed down it would be pretty easy to hear.  You could always check any bits you weren't sure about against the sheet music.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Nice choice - I'd learn it from the sheet music - I picked up "All Night Long" (2nd version) years ago and I've never forgot it, I think the trouble with TAB is it's initially quicker but harder to remember when you don't have it to hand, if that makes sense.

There's is a Hal Leonard book called the best of Kenny Burrell which is pretty good, if you are interested in his other stuff.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited April 2016
    Why not use a slow-downer program and transcribe it?  it's basically a blues in C with plenty of fairly standard jazz-blues licks.  The guitar is clear in the mix and slowed down it would be pretty easy to hear.  You could always check any bits you weren't sure about against the sheet music.
    I agree, learn solos by ear, so you train your ears, your ears will then improve over time.

I learn one phrase at a time, by singing each phrase first, then finding it on the guitar and then add another phrase, then another, until I have the whole solo.

Most good musicians have developed a good ear for music and can learn music by ear very fast, but this takes time and perseverance.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    Okay, okay, you're all right. I'm doing it myself with the aid of Riffmaster Pro on my iPad. I'm getting there at half speed but it'll take me a while to get up to tempo. It's actually a lot more satisfying doing it this way :)

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited April 2016
    I've had a go at a transcription of the studio version if you want to compare notes, so to speak. There's a pdf at the link below:

https://app.box.com/s/klsxs10nhosf1nil5jfdrxibg17v4f0x

Also, below is a link to Guitar Pro 6 Audio output. It sounds very Mickey Mouse but at least it serves as a rough check of the transcription.

https://app.box.com/s/4ouib67iyq4fnihv4ph1fy5nex6xjact

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @stratman3142 your tab is very close to what I'm playing, I think there are a few differences but I'll sit down tomorrow with riffmaster, your tab and a guitar and see what's what. There are a couple of bits where I'm struggling to pick out the notes even slowed right down, so I think your tab will really help me. Thanks mate!