Any boxing fans on here

What's Hot
I am a massive boxing fan. Any others on here? Is there an established link between boxing and guitarists? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12313
    When I play I might as well be wearing boxing gloves. Does that count?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    I used to love watching it, especially the Ali/Foreman/Cooper era heavyweights. I used to go to the ABA amateur championships at Wembley every year too, the featherweights and middleweights were usually very good entertainment. I've just been reading about Jack Dempsey, man I would have loved to have seen him fight.

I watch the Olympic matches but can't be arsed watching professional boxing nowadays (not that you get much on terrestrial TV anyway ) : too much hype, too much pre-fight hoopla, too much holding instead of actually throwing punches.
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    Love it, although the golden age of the Heavyweight as the blue riband division has gone, in my opinion.

Some great matches at Middleweight and below these days, and also a great time for the UK with lots of world champs.

So, yes, I'm keen! Not sure about al ink to the guitar though....
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Can't stand it. Never seen the point.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    There is a thread about it knocking about a few pages in I think.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    I wouldn't say I am a massive boxing fan, but I do really enjoying watching it on television. 

Like the above, I am not a big fan of the hoopla etc and I bypass it by pre recording it and fast forwarding through the bits or play my acoustic guitar so I can't hear any of it!  

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Not any more. Too much trash talk and faux aggression (as opposed to skill)

I do like the Olympic boxing though.

And most importantly .... RIP Harry Carpenter
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I enjoy Olympic boxing but I don't watch any other fights these days. I keep one eye on who is heavyweight champ though.

I was quite a fan back in the Benn/Eubank/Watson era, but after Watson's tragedy my interest waned, I didn't feel I wanted to invest time in it any more. I remember following early Tyson with great interest as well.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    I've posted a few threads in the past.

They usually go down like a shit sandwich so I'd say there's not much of a link to the sport from guitarists.

I'm fairly casual in my support of it - I don't have sky sports these days so don't see many bouts.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Iamnobody said:
    I've posted a few threads in the past.

They usually go down like a shit sandwich so I'd say there's not much of a link to the sport from guitarists.

I'm fairly casual in my support of it - I don't have sky sports these days so don't see many bouts.
    I love my boxing and football - sky sports and box nation subscriber. British and indeed world boxing is in rude health......
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Lifelong combat sports fan. Loved boxing since I was a nipper, trained a wee bit, battered on the regular by my brother who is very good.

Just watched a wicked interview with frank warren , Ricky Hatton and Naseem Hamed. Really, really cool to see them together talking about their time at the top.

Obviously both are heavyweights now :)
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Bloody neanderthal practice.  Grown men beating each other about the head until one of them is knocked unconscious?  They need to grow up FFS.

The human brain is the most complex, important and misunderstood organ on the planet, and all these dickheads can do is to pummel it until it shuts down.  Fucking brilliant plan.  8-|
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Emp_Fab said:
    Bloody neanderthal practice.  Grown men beating each other about the head until one of them is knocked unconscious?  They need to grow up FFS.

The human brain is the most complex, important and misunderstood organ on the planet, and all these dickheads can do is to pummel it until it shuts down.  Fucking brilliant plan.  8-|
    Hmmm how's your healthy lifestyle going with the old heart? Also a pretty wonderful organ I'd say....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

• Emp_Fab said:

Don't sit on the fence Emp - tell us what you really think!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    is great that Boxing Fans get to have their very own dedicated day once a year...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I guess I'll have to walk into this one.....

What day is that 57Deluxe?

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    /\ doh!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Oh, Boxing day (Sigh)
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    I wonder how long it can last. CTE is only now starting to be understood. The NFL tried to stop people looking h at it for a while and ended up coughing up hundreds of millions.
    I recently read on the BBC that they think there 250 British footballers who have it just from heading the ball.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    No.
    Could not say I am a Boxing fan.
    But I have just watched last nights contest and thought it was sensational, gripping, and strangely moving.
    Especially rounds 5 and 11.