Any boxing fans on here

What's Hot

Comments

• TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I gave up after what happened to Watson, more so because Eubank acted the c**t about it.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7136
    I'm sure I read somewhere that boxing and guitar playing are two of the top triggers for later life arthritis in the hands. I've done both since about 12 years old so I'm not hopeful !

Ive boxed at the York hall a couple of times , once successfully and the other time got my arse handed to me. At that point I had to decide whether to concentrate more on my job or train more (I had gone from welter to light middleweight basically because my day job stopped me training as much and they hit a lot harder at light middle !)

I decided to take the less painful option and just box the odd charity show and do some coaching badges which in hindsight was a good choice.

Still love the sport and no-one is forced into it, live and let live and all that.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Massive boxing fan here. I try to follow the sport at World level but British boxing looks like it has golden age quickly approaching.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Leonard, haggler, Duran, hearns. Middle weight period of pure class and variety. An era never to be repeated.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

Getting into it a bit more, I used to watch it a lot in the 90's before ppv, but I go boxing training myself twice a week now so tend to watch what ever is on TV.  Since training I look at it a bit different and have got more of an interest in the lower level fights.

I'm sure I read somewhere that boxing and guitar playing are two of the top triggers for later life arthritis in the hands. I've done both since about 12 years old so I'm not hopeful !

For some reason I've started boxing at 40, my wrist hurts due to on old football break (I was given 5 years at 25 before I'd get arthritis), but it hurts when I do nothing as well.   So probably not the best thing smashing it into pads and bags but I'm finding it quite addictive.  Somehow the aches and pains I get from boxing are much better that any others I'd get fom not doing it!

In the last 8 days I've done 3 gigs, had 2 rehearsals and done 3 hours of boxing training so I'm probably going to be worn out in the next few years....
    @menamestom  I think the core fitness you get from boxing stays with you , I'm 48 now and haven't properly boxed for 12 years or so but still feel fitter than most blokes I know despite not doing much sport nowadays. My memory is shot to bits though and I hope it's not boxing related but ducking was never my strong point :-)
    @menamestom  I think the core fitness you get from boxing stays with you , I'm 48 now and haven't properly boxed for 12 years or so but still feel fitter than most blokes I know despite not doing much sport nowadays. My memory is shot to bits though and I hope it's not boxing related but ducking was never my strong point :-)
    Fortunately (or not) my memory is completely useless anyway, so there's not much to lose! I'm loving the core work, roll outs, kettlebells, medicine balls etc and feel great for it.  We only do light sparring or body sparring so I should be okay head wise.  Some of the lads do charity boxing events and train really hard, I'd love to do one but the missus would go mental, so we'll see ;)
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Boxnation subscriber....long time boxing fan, spend nearly as much time on eastside boxing forum as here. Boxing is the only sport i really follow. Does that count for a yes? :-)
    siraxeman said:
    Boxnation subscriber....long time boxing fan, spend nearly as much time on eastside boxing forum as here. Boxing is the only sport i really follow. Does that count for a yes? :-)
    I would say so;) Do you train as well or just watch?

I must try some boxing forums, spend too much time on guitar ones...
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I do train....cardio and weights in alternate sessions....but not boxing training. Prefer watching to getting punched on the nose. Definitely an armchair fan were boxing is concerned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    edited May 2017
    Not for me personally.  I don't find the sight of people battering the shit out of each other particularly entertaining.  Having said that, there is something about martial arts bouts - where it's a bit more sophisticated than the equivalent of smacking each other over the head with frying pans.

Bob GIF - Find  Share on GIPHY
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Canelo Alvarez vs Chavez Jr this Saturday.....

Getting fed up of Canelo's recent level of opposition and this is the worst of the lot in my opinion. Still, I'll tune in and hope that it isn't the one sided beatdown I'm expecting.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Used to be hugely into it. Studied it almost. Countless books, videos you name it. At one point I could have recited the career history of any of the greats, I was mental about it. I lost interest towards the late 90s, maybe earlier once the lesser belts started coming to the fore - IBC, IBO, WBU, all that lot. Once that happened, we got a plethora of poor "world champions" and the sport was doomed. In fact, things like Chris Eubank's fight deal with Sky accelerated the stupidity of the game.

As a sport to take part in its exhilrating - I box about two or three times a week, for maybe an hour a time. The fitness level of the professionals is absolutely staggering, I am in true awe at that. I remember my first 2 minute round and thinking it was hellish.

These days, I find amatuer boxing more interesting. Its a shame that most contests don't have the visible scoring like they used to, that made it very gripping.

to the detractors who say its brutal, archaic, disgusting etc - I get that, but it isn't actually. Boxing is the sweet science of self defence: its not really about knocking your opponent out, its about out boxing them, dodging, hitting more effectively. There are far less injuries in boxing than rugby or equestrian sport for example.

Boxing has a way to go though, and I think there are still improvements to the game that could reduce brain injuries more, but other sports are far worse in this respect, not least rugby.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    Big fan, fight the other night was excellent. The longer this McGregor - Mayweather saga drags on the less I think it will happen, regardless of what Dana White claims. McGregor would be absolutely destroyed in a boxing match, it seems insane that it's ever even been put forward as an option. Having said that, I'd probably pay to watch it. Money drives these things so who knows, if enough people would stump up maybe it will happen. The trash talk was entertaining for a while, can't decide whether or not it still is. Anyone here think it will actually get put together?
    I can't see it happening , the money is huge of course but CMac has an ego too and even he must in moments of clarity realise he will be humiliated 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    celentium said:
    Canelo Alvarez vs Chavez Jr this Saturday.....

Getting fed up of Canelo's recent level of opposition and this is the worst of the lot in my opinion. Still, I'll tune in and hope that it isn't the one sided beatdown I'm expecting.
    Saw a YouTube clip of Chavez Jr in training. He doesn't look too clever at that weight.
  • I'm sure I read somewhere that boxing and guitar playing are two of the top triggers for later life arthritis in the hands. I've done both since about 12 years old so I'm not hopeful !

Ive boxed at the York hall a couple of times , once successfully and the other time got my arse handed to me. At that point I had to decide whether to concentrate more on my job or train more (I had gone from welter to light middleweight basically because my day job stopped me training as much and they hit a lot harder at light middle !)

I decided to take the less painful option and just box the odd charity show and do some coaching badges which in hindsight was a good choice.

Still love the sport and no-one is forced into it, live and let live and all that.
    Boxing at York Hall - what an incredible achievement. I am full of admiration. How was it as an experience? Anyone notable on the card?

I boxed as an amateur but couldn't continue due to a detached retina (and being sh*t)

@emp_fab its easy to dismiss boxing. I am a fan and there is a lot about the sport that I don't like. I have no time for macho posturing, disrespectful behaviour and the politics that it involves. However, I wouldn't dismiss it as being neanderthal. its an incredibly skilled and tactical sport contested by supremely fit and disciplined athletes (I realise there are exceptions to each of these criteria). Boxing is referred to as 'the sweet science' because of the skill level involved. Its difficult to comprehend the mental strength it must take to complete. If it don't float your boat thats fair enough but there is a lot more to it than 'beating the shit' out of some one.  
    edited May 2017
    @Placidcasual79 ;;;

its an amazing place, the surrounding area and the changing rooms are a dump and once I weighed in I had a wander about the hall and the balcony and it seemed dingy and underwhelming. Then a few hours later it's full of beered up boxing fans and it's magical :-)

I boxed there in a pre ABA tournament in my early 20s where I jabbed and ran my way to the semis at light middle and got slapped royally by Funso Banjos younger brother or nephew or something like that in front of about 25 mates and family !

10 years or so later fought in an unlicensed charity thing there at super middle which worked out a lot better. I was trained by Errol Christie for that one which helped - absolute top bloke.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    @DrCornelius ; Errol Christie! There's a name from the history books. Awesome story!

We're a bit fortunate here in Sheffield, as we have and have had some legends, and the Ingle's gym is obviously still going strong. AJ did some of his training for the Klitschko fight here too.

I used to see and chat with two superb fighters, regularly: Bomber Graham, and Naseem Hamed. Bomber's tale is a sad one tbh. He used to work at the Virgin gym as a trainer, but that was years ago. He was great fun, i used to talk boxing with him for ages, he was SO good, still amazingly nimble and quick, brilliant to see. I think he struggled with mental illness after that, as a few things seemed to fall apart for him. I think he has moved away from the city. really nice fella, but a bit of a loon. He was great in the gym though.

Naseem - his son was at nursery with my eldest. This was after he retired, and before he had to leave SHeffield due to the accident he caused and ended up in nick for. He had become really fat, like a ball. He was horribly flash, and tbh a surly get. Would drive about the city in stupidly flash cars, with an entourage of toe rags. He ended up deeply unpopular locally.

next local lad in the ring lights is Kell Brook. He's good too.

My favourite fighter is Probably Ray Robinson. Favourite era would have to be the mid 80s to mid 90s: we had Hagler/Hearns/Duran/Leonard and then the superb British middle/super middleweights of Benn/Eubank/Watson & Irishman Steve Collins. All those fellas had a load of wonderful fights, and not least with each other. Eubank IMO was the best of the lot - a truly stunning boxer and a VERY hard man. I just wish he hadn't taken the TV deal with SKy that saw him fight himself into the ground - too many fights, too many weights.