Moon Standard Mandolin

I'm thinking of giving the mandolin another go, in which case has anybody got one of these and how do they compare with your typical £300-500 chinese made instrument?

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    I played one many years ago and it was nice. I ended up with a used Fylde but the Moon was a fine instrument.

Thing is that I didn't realise at the time that what I should have bought was neither of them.....

It took a while to find that I was after the sound of a more traditional carved-top mandolin as opposed to a flat-top "celtic" style mandolin. The carved-top has a slightly different sound and the choice of "F" versus oval soundhole(s) has a big influence. Carved-top mandolins used to come with quite a steep price premium but you can get great A and F styles for a lot less money these days. I eventually got an Eastman, which was fantastic. A friend (also a big Eastman fan) has just bought a Loar F-style (with the scrolls as beloved by bluegrassers) for some comically low price from Thomann and he loves it.  
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    I must admit I like the Eastman 504 and 404 mandolins and judging by Youtube they seem tonally superior to Kentucky etc. Although, the nut width looks a bit cramped to me.

• Gf has Moon Octave mandolin blinding instrument and a lot easior to play than a standard mando due to scale length 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27495
    This man makes a variety of stringed instruments - Mandolins are a lot, lot more.

As well as being a genuinely nice guy, his work is top notch.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Thanks for the replies - unfortunately the used Moon Mandolin I was looking at has been sold so I may have to reassess my options.
  • FledermausFledermaus Frets: 180
    Ahhh shame. I have one and it's great . I looked at second hand ones too and to be honest they end up going for as much as new ones....on eBay anyway......
  • Andy_StringsAndy_Strings Frets: 207
    Thanks for the replies - unfortunately the used Moon Mandolin I was looking at has been sold so I may have to reassess my options.
    The Breedlove Crossover is well worth considering, it has a wide nut and was made with guitarist 'crossing over' in mind.
    'There are plenty more guitars in the sea'