What's the most expensive guitar you gig with?

What's Hot

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I take three electric guitars on a typical gig (because I can) but maybe only two in a crowded pub. My 335 is still in the 'preheadstock break' phase of it's life and I'd like to keep it that way, but so far I've never left it at home because of a rough gig, however these days I rarely do pubs so it doesn't crop up very ofton.

I bought my guitars because of the sound so I intend to play them whenever I can.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I gig with some fairly valuable kit, but so do the guys Im playing with, so I guess its because we've been doing it a long time... Fenders are indestructible, being mostly hard finished and tough wood, Gibsons are not... but most of my guitars have headstock knocks and chips because clashes are inevitable.. you have to be philosophical.. I had an unmarked old Gibson until the zipped gig bag zip failed and said guitar bounced off a metalled concrete surface - adds a new context to road worn.. not best impressed.. but hey, similarly the early Howard Roberts got knocked off its guitar stand by a gentleman of the stagecrew and the cherry finish cracked from one of the bridge posts back under the scratch plate.. could refin.. but hell... its best its done and I can get over it...  a friend had a headstock knocked off a 1960s 335 in similar circumstances so I'm lucky.. and Ive had SG tenons go loose on me..  look at Framptons LP and numerous stradivari stories... whilst these things are valuable, they are tools... I am rather amazed at "vintage" and high end instrument prices these days...   and yes I'm greviously underinsured... but otherwise they'd stay at home and fester in cases... 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    look at Framptons LP
    Frampton's Les Paul survived a major plane crash! Hopefully the sorts of gigs we play aren't that hazardous...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PRS.
    I remember @ICBM saying he's a quick string changer so doesn't take a spare. It's a real ball-ache taking a spare and I'm coming round to the idea of not doing it.
    I am in this dilemma - always take a spare at the minute - its a pain in the arse - I am not a quick string changer so don't think I could get away without one. 

I take the guitar that suits the band. But I have a Gretsch Electromatic that I never take out - its not the most expensive - it just seems so fragile and I love it so much I'd be devastated if something happened to it. 

I think this fear comes form gig we played at a private function without a stage. We played literally on the dance floor - things for lively a fight broke out and I get dragged to the ground - no harm done at all - it was quite amusing - but that night I thought if it'd been a semi it might've been crushed. 

Then I'd have kicked off!!! 
  • I take two guitars, but one is for slide, so if I break a string I can get away with it to a certain extent. But like ICBM I can change strings pretty quick. I can break a string and have new one on and tuned up before end of song, unless it breaks near end of song! 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    My self made acoustic guitar- it cost me £30k in tuition fees.

Otherwise, Forshage Orion- about £2.5k.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Always had cheap guitars for stage use, my 72 SG std with Bigsby £130, my '56 les Paul was only £300, my '73 335 £500, etc cheapest guitar I gigged with cost a fiver!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I never take a spare guitar, just a single Les Paul.

I can't believe people are seriously advocating taking a spare guitar in case they break one in half while they're playing it!

Do you take a spare car in case you crash on the way to the venue?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I can break a string and have new one on and tuned up before end of song, unless it breaks near end of song! 
    I once changed a string between the two solos in Hey Joe :). The keyboard player was ready to play a solo if I hadn't made it in time, but he didn't need to. I got quite a round of applause for that, more than for playing the solos :)).

To be fair I do get quite a lot of practice at changing strings when I do repairs, so although I very rarely break one myself it certainly isn't something I'm at all unfamiliar with.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I once changed a string between the two solos in Hey Joe :). The keyboard player was ready to play a solo if I hadn't made it in time, but he didn't need to. I got quite a round of applause for that, more than for playing the solos :)).

To be fair I do get quite a lot of practice at changing strings when I do repairs, so although I very rarely break one myself it certainly isn't something I'm at all unfamiliar with.
    Skillz!!! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I always take 2 guitars for string breaks as I use trems, and new strings just don't work until really stretched and settled in.. in fact - now heres a theory... I reckon modern strings are way more elastic than they used to be, they seem far less stable after stringing up.. ?  I only use D'addario NYXLs these days as they seem to be the quickest Ive found to stability..

saying that check out the Nick Harper song (on You Tube) where he continues performing and puts a new string on whilst playing.. I'm sure weve all seen it before ;-)  its certainly food for thought - but then he has a certain kind of genius hahaha...

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530

3:30 - just get the band to comp while you do it :p Easier in blues bands! Not so much in a Dream Theater cover band...
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    ICBM said:
    The headstock on a Trini would particularly worry me...
    Gibson headstocks always worry you :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    ICBM said:
    The headstock on a Trini would particularly worry me...
    Gibson headstocks always worry you :)
    Yes, but double it for a six-a-side ;).

At least it's not an Explorer.

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

Its gotta be different dependant on your collection. if you own 15 £2000 guitars you're gonan want to take them out and use them, if you've saved up all you can for a £500 guitar you're probably gonna be more precious over it.

PRS S2 as main guitar (£700 second hand), my 'best' guitar.

PRS SE as a backup, purely for string breakages.

Play in a 3 piece (plus singer) metal so faffing changing strings in between songs just doesn't appeal to me. Think it would kill the energy on stage.

I'd love to play a USA PRS but can't afford one. I'm at the point now when the ever amassing dents and scratches on the S2 aren't bothering me so much. Not sure I'd have the same sentiment with something that cost the best part of 2K. I could also fund a replacement to the S2 pretty easily, if stolen / broken.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5142
    PRS Starla X- roughly equivalent to the current S2 range. Cost me £600 new. 

I have a G&L S-500 that cost me about the same but is probably still worth that, unlike the PRS. I haven't gigged it, but I wouldn't hesitate to if it were the right guitar for the job.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

1991 Ibanez RG 550 (SD Distortion, stock, DiMarzio Evolution). Cost me €270 third-hand.

I've been trying to buy a better guitar for over a decade, but have never been able to settle on anything. :( If I had an "expensive" guitar, I think I would play it live. 

I do know that Christian Münzner (Necrophagist, Obscura, Alkaloid, etc.) used to use an cheaper RG for gigs while his JEM BFP stayed at home, but since his gigging conditions improved, I've seen him out with that, too.

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 916
    PRS 25th Anniversary cu24 is my most expensive guitar and, whilst I do gig it, I only take it to venues that I feel are low risk. I have 20 guitars and gig most of them. I always take a spare but I do usually play it for part of the set(s).
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I always take two guitars to a gig.
    Usually it's two DGT's but recently been using the Bravewood strat and MJT tele for a change.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I havent gigged for a while but I always take the guitar I'm most comfortable with on the morning of the gig, be it £3000 or £300, I don't really think about the price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom