cheap e-drums ....which ones?

What's Hot
snazzasnazza Frets: 38
edited April 2016 in Other Instruments

Hi chaps .....I know there is a thread already running on e-drums ......but I just wanted to get your thoughts ...

Only just started messing around on skins .....and need something small cheap and quiet to practice on at home .....have access to proper acoustic sets elsewhere.

I looked at straight practice pads ......but for not much more your into e territory .....

the two I am looking at are the Yamaha DTX400 and the Roland TD4KP (although this is £200 more - so not really sure I wanna stretch that far) .....of all the clips I have seen/heard the Yamaha sounds much better to my ears ......

does anyone have experience of either ?

cheers

Snaz

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited April 2016
    I was in the same situation as you and concluded thusly.

The cheaper electronic kit don't feel or play much like a real kit.
    The ergonomics of them aren't close to a real kit so you end up learning to play something that doesn't translate to an acoustic kit.
    They are quite flimsy as well- once you start hammering into them they break- most cheap electronic kits end up being secreted away in the spare room, unused.
    Once you get into the proper pro e-kits the build quality is better, although I've had my hi-hat controller replaced twice under warranty- this is on a £3.5k e-kit.

In most situations you'd be better off with a cheap acoustic kit and just put mesh heads on it and treat it like a silent practice kit.
    You'd need silent cymbals though- which can be expensive.

I have something here that I'd do cheaply that will get you playing- it is a DW 'silent practice kit'.
    They are about £150.
    Here is the link for the practice kit.
    All you would need is a kick drum pedal and some sticks- if you think you will eventually end up on an acoustic kit then something like this will be minimal outlay- then find a used 3 piece shell pack, a snare and some used cymbals, upgrading a piece at a time as you get better.

If you want to stay on electronic kits then spend towards that now- get a decent one- a TD20 or TD30 Roland kit.
    Good E kits cost more than the equivalent acoustic kit though.

Let me know if you're interested in the DW practice kit.
    It had minimal use- I ended up buying a full blown Roland E kit and a Gretsch acoustic kit about a month after getting it.
    I can set it up, take some pics and we can work out a price- maybe around £70 or so.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

The Alesis DM kits are incredibly cheap but have decent enough samples in them. I've had a few Roland V kits and wouldn't rate the samples in the cheaper V drums above the Alesis ...... not that your stuck with any of the built in samples anyway as you can always midi out. I used Slate samples with mine rather than the stock Roland ones

An E kit never will feel like an acoustic kit but they are invaluable as a practice and recording tool
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    +1 on Alesis DM
    edited April 2016
    Danny1969 said:

An E kit never will feel like an acoustic kit but they are invaluable as a practice and recording tool
    The higher ends ones are pretty close now- particularly the snare articulations.
    You are spending more than the equivalent acoustic kit, though.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    octatonic said:
    Danny1969 said:

The higher ends ones are pretty close now- particularly the snare articulations.
    You are spending more than the equivalent acoustic kit, though.

Yeah a friend has the TD30KV and I was blown away by how good that is, we did loads of recording with it and it was effortless
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    Having just helped a friend out with a similar dilemma, for their 15yr old son, I would look at a mesh head TD8. Good bang per buck, you just need to live with the plastic hi hat pad until you can upgrade it but it works. Vex the module for better sounds or midi out.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    pm rob. a good kit at a good price from a good fretboard seller (trustworthy and friendly, see positive comments in good traders). get in.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/73572/fs-alesis-dm6-electronic-drum-kit#latest

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
  • snazzasnazza Frets: 38
    just to update .....I ordered a Yamaha DTX400 kit at the weekend .....after trying Yamaha and Roland .....I thought the Yamaha sounded a bit more natural .....also I like the fact that I can upgrade bits on the DTX module as I get better/more proficient .......will report back with thoughts when it arrives ......

Many thanks for the advice and offers of kit ......love this place

Nice one.
    Enjoy.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I have a very old Yamaha DTxpress4 which is probably very old hat these days. But it sounds pretty decent, enables you to practice with some sort of feel and is a very well made piece of kit. 

Yamaha make quality stuff, I think you'll be happy with the DTX400
    Seriously impressed for £300!......will definitely serve my rudiment(ary) needs ......see what I did there? ;)

Sounds are, to me impressive.........and I think my 7yo has found her new favourite thing!