Interesting Acoustic 'Trial' Day - With Shock Results !!

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
edited April 2016 in Acoustics
So, having decided to divert my pedals gas into amps and acoustics (??!!??!!), I headed along for a brief sojourn into Guitar Guitar Birmingham.

Now, my usual fix (and loyalty) is with Doug at Coda, some 3 hours away. So, I thought I'd try some Lowdens as that's what I fancy - see how they fair and then speak to Doug and head to Coda Music...

I plan to maybe p/x my rare Taylor, and add some cash. Budget quite open.  

I initially tried 3 or 4 Lowdens. Impressive, and that tone and 'throw' that I have heard on YouTube. All of them fairly big body though, and I do fancy a small bodied guitars... I've never played a Martin that gripped me, except for the EC model (more on this later), but I'm meaning 000 size I guess.

Glen who served me was super helpful, and handed me a few Lowdens to try. Then, I played a Martin OM28 (used something model) and Collings 0M2H (i think). Both very nice to play, both a bit stiff, but loved the size.

Then, he handed me a Waterloo by Collings. You played one ??? Never even heard of them, BUT loved the neck and the 'feel' of the guitar. Very cheaply made, and rougher than the rest, but kinda vintage, loose feeling and I really liked it...

THEN SHOCK OF ALL SHOCKS...he hands me a Martin Black Smoke (00017) and bingo !! REALLY REALLY liked this one. Again, not finished great but very pre-war feeling and cracking looking.

It didn't have the quality, sound, feel of the higher models - but just felt natural and joyous in my hands. I actually played some instant, new stuff on it - always a good sign.

And, I could leave it lying around and not get worried about the links. Me likey. 

Food for thought this week.

Anyway, forgive the indulgent reviews. Not sure if anyone else has tried em ???

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    I didn't however, try a small bodied Lowden which I would have liked to do...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That looks an odd beast, but if it sings to you, well, that's really all that matters. Good on you!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    edited April 2016
    It looks like a guitar wearing a somewhat worse for wear tuxedo. Nice.

I'm a big fan of the 1930s Depression era look, and Martin have pulled it off there. I must google these...

Oh and btw, you really should try a set of Retro Monel strings on this.
    Im sure that there are better sounding out there... Yet, as a relic fan, this pleased and inspired me. Love the vintage feel...

We shall see this week !

@thermionic - ive been in the acoustic wilderness for a few years, tell me about those strings
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    They're a nickel alloy winding, as opposed to phosphor bronze (which is about 80% copper). Martin used it in the 60s and early 70s I think, but recently brought it back. It's a mellow sound, as opposed to bright and zingy, and I think it suits smaller bodied guitars and mahogany guitars in particular. Because they're not initially bright and zingy they don't fade and dull like phosphor bronze strings, and seem to last as long as coated strings. Definitely worth a try.
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited April 2016
    @Wazmeister - Warren, you might like to try the Newtone Heritage Series too. I've just returned to acoustics after many years away, and these have been a revelation.... I've just stuck a set on my new Lowden and couldn't be happier. 

Cheers mate, ill have a look. Top drawer
  • bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 171
    Lol I have also done a similar thing, and in Guitarguitar Birmingham as well. The cool thing when I did it was that I am actually completely blind...I couldn't  look down and tell what I was playing, and I specifically told the guys that helped out not to give me any information on what it was, so that I wouldn't be biased. this caused me to reject a High-end Gibson, and really enjoy playing the Martin Clapton model though not enough to walk away with it. I have also done this for telecasters, and the guy couldn't believe I rejected a Suhr Classic T for a Fender USA Deluxe Tele...he couldn't understand it haha!

Me
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lol I have also done a similar thing, and in Guitarguitar Birmingham as well. The cool thing when I did it was that I am actually completely blind...I couldn't  look down and tell what I was playing, and I specifically told the guys that helped out not to give me any information on what it was, so that I wouldn't be biased. this caused me to reject a High-end Gibson, and really enjoy playing the Martin Clapton model though not enough to walk away with it. I have also done this for telecasters, and the guy couldn't believe I rejected a Suhr Classic T for a Fender USA Deluxe Tele...he couldn't understand it haha!

Me
    @bermudianbrit -  A fascinating insight ! 

So mate, did you buy in the end ? And other than the Martin EC, were there any other stand outs ?
  • bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 171
    I walked out with a Taylor 714CE. Damn comfortable for fingerstyle due to wider neck and sounded great. The Martin had no cutaway, which is a dealbreaker.