Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ladies Of The Fretboard Xmas Get Together 2013 - Inc Photos

What's Hot

Comments

• Claire Bear?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Nah knob gags are not misogynistic merely puerile and distasteful to some. But ever has it been so with British humour how else would the Carry On films have endured for so long in such volume.

In the 70's and early 80's I worked in our local fleapit and when puerile type movies were on (barring the soft pron stuff) we had almost as many females tipping up to watch it and seemingly enjoying it based on the laarfing they all did.

Different times for certain but dunny humour still abounds in modern Britain.

But as MR and other fora did not have much of a female alumni then maybe we are over thinking it. I for one wasn't aware the numbers elsewhere were so low.

Maybe we GAS fiends are just too sad for the female psyche, think train or Stobart trucks spotters.
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    All the women I know are more interested in knobs than blokes. And they're worse than us for telling knob jokes.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    If anything rather than fewer knob gags, there should be more chuff gags to make things more equal... not sure that would get-the-girls-in but, certainly knob gags are nowt to do with misogyny.

There's a certain level of "Phwaor, a woman has some boobies!" laddishness but that isn't really enough to hang the label of misogyny on anyone's shoulders either.

Perhaps some of Drew's anti-woman ranty comments. Though I think some are meant as jokes, text isn't very good for sarcasm so things can be hard to judge. Certainly one or two of the things he (and a couple of others) have typed certainly read like "if it owns a vagina, it's out to hurt mens and steal their stuffs" - perhaps we need a sarcasm smiley? 

Now if a wimmins is coming to the forum and reads something like that, they might run. But I don't take stuff like this too seriously. Perhaps the laddy-pub environment is what's less inviting to the wimmins, but that relaxed slouchy comfy sense of fun is what makes this place fun. So perhaps you may need to accept a limited number of boobies - or you'll all have to eat more pies to grow your own
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Way ahead of you @Myranda I am no stranger to a fish supper, or a pie (maybe 2).
  • Myranda said:
    There's a certain level of "Phwaor, a woman has some boobies!" laddishness but that isn't really enough to hang the label of misogyny on anyone's shoulders either.

Too true.  Along with equally annoying "This forum member has no penis so clearly I must make it my mission to defend her on any given occasion as in an exchange of words she must clearly be heavily outgunned by the superior brain of the male.".  It is so ironic how many time this happens and people think the THAT is treating someone with equal respect.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • With the same disclaimers as Emp up there ^^^, my opinion is this...

...for every thousand-odd male guitarists on t'Internet, there tends to be one with boobies...and it could be even less than that. It's even lower with bassists. This is in no way a scientific analysis, just a rough guess from looking at YouTube. It's probably higher in the real world, but generally speaking they don't seem obsessed enough about their gear to want to talk about it as often as guys do.

Based on that, we've probably already filled our quota (thank you, @Myranda). It's just a fact that in the gigging music scene, people of female persuasion are far more likely to be singers rather than guitarists (and, incidentally, a lot of the ladies I've come across in bands use vocabulary that makes me wince far more than anything that's ever been said on here).

Yeah, it'd be nice to have more of a female contingent on here, but I don't think we're really bucking the trend at all.
    <space for hire>
  • johnnyurq said:
    Way ahead of you @Myranda I am no stranger to a fish supper, 
    Was I the only one who read that at first as a euphemism for cunnilingus?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    ^^^

I think you are definitely right.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2927
    It's chicken and the egg, isn't it. You could say that if we had more female members, there would probably be less "laddishness".
    johnnyurq said:
    I did... thought at first it was a response to my call for more chuff jokes
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited December 2013

Sadly Myranda couldn't make it but all the others were there.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01044/SNA1512A_682_1044556a.jpg

That's Bertie's behind the bar of his pub, right?

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

That's Bertie's pub, right?
    NO, the landlord's far too happy

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:

That's Bertie's pub, right?
    NO, the landlord's far too happy
    Bertie just left... ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    OI

:x
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2013
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Myranda;111336" said:
    GuitarMonkey said:

johnnyurq said:

I did... thought at first it was a response to my call for more chuff jokes
    No incorrect I am afraid just Scottish slang that means similar to who ate all the pies, here we have fish suppers that make us rotund... as well as pies (not hairy ones neither).

I was intimating due to the aforementioned fish suppers I am a fuller figure gentleman, well @Myranda started it by talking about male boobies. ;)

But please feel free to use it as a euphemism seeing it doesn't seem to have translated well to daarn saaarf. :D
    Well that is interesting @GuitarMonkey we will now have a situation where younger yoofs will be meaning the urban dictionary version whilst oldies like me will be meaning it as in "you fat bastard".

I feel certain there will be much mirth and japery due to the misunderstandings that will inevitably result.

You gotta love the British creativity for innuendo and euphemisms, well done us it is a more colourful world for it.
    :)
  • 'Supper' meaning ' with chips,' the same as 'Glasgow salad.'
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.